Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd September 2012, 02:28 PM
Prolific Member

From www.dailytelegraph.com.au

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1226462972514

Quote:
SYDNEY Airport is trying to win back air travellers with cut-price parking, free coffees and newspapers.

Airport chief executive Kerrie Mather said the pitch was part of an attempt to "rebrand" itself with travellers after years of criticism for being driven by profit rather than service.

Ms Mather said the new prices were also a response to a rise in the number of travellers using budget airlines. She said business flyers were now more budget-conscious and were looking for cheaper parking.

Visitors dropping or collecting passengers at the international terminal will pay a flat $20 for three hours' parking, which for the next three months includes two coffees, a copy of The Sunday or Daily Telegraph, and a $10 voucher to spend in duty free.

In carparks at both the domestic and international terminals, rates will be: 15 minutes free, $7 for 30 minutes and a flat $16 for up to an hour. But up to three hours' parking will fall from $29 to $20.

The airport is also offering internet carpark booking; for example a long weekend rate of $69 and $95 for up to 15 days. Ms Mather said booking these deals online at least six hours before arrival would save up to 73 per cent on the usual drive-up rates for long-term parking.

"Our online parking offers ... give customers the convenience of driving their own car and represent great value compared to other options for travelling to and from the airport," Ms Mather said.

Sydney Airport has spent $1.2 million upgrading its long-term carpark, which now has 1000 more spaces, and waiting areas equipped with video screens which allow passengers to monitor the progress of shuttle buses from the carpark to the airport.

The international airport has added 2300 new spaces.

"These are not superficial gestures, they are the result of us doing a lot of listening to our customers," she said.

"We know we have been criticised and we wanted to do something about it."

While parking has always been popular with the business market, many people said they were worried about racing back to their cars after dropping off or collecting friends or family, she said.

Ms Mather emphasised that Sydney Airport was no longer completely owned and controlled by Macquarie Bank.

She said the airport was also working to increase the number and type of dining outlets and encourage shoppers to go to the duty-free shops.

"Last year, we had more than 35.6 million passengers through the airport," she said. "We've been doing a lot of work to increase choice and value in our parking offers and food outlets so we can better cater to all our customers, and the feedback has been highly encouraging."

Ms Mather said they had listened to complaints about parking, traditionally more suited to business travellers.
Old 3rd September 2012, 08:13 AM

At the end of the day, they are superficial measures........drop the prices, you get more people using the car parks and ultimately more revenue. It isn't rocket science.....
Old 3rd September 2012, 03:19 PM
Prolific Member

I haven't seen an expiry date on this offer anywhere, so how can you say it's superficial? And your argument of dropping prices to increase demand (and hopefully increase revenue) is just simple economics that thousands of other businesses use every day.
Old 3rd September 2012, 07:01 PM

Heard an ad this morning advertising parking at the airport for up to a month for 'only $199'. Wow, I can't believe people pay that...just park at your nearest station and get the train, or get a taxi, I really don't understand it
Old 3rd September 2012, 07:35 PM
Prolific Member

I'd imagine there'd be a few thieves noticing a car parked in one spot for a month at some railway stations....
Old 3rd September 2012, 07:50 PM

Or a few parking fines.
Old 4th September 2012, 09:18 PM

My taxi ride option still stands. It is such a waste of money to park a car at the airport; get a lift from a neighbour or something.
Old 5th September 2012, 05:59 AM

Drove car into the multi story on Aug 16th. Went to NZ. Drove out Sept 4th. $199. Bargain IMO.