Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st June 2008, 09:38 AM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South
Default Mini Trip Report - Cessnock

This Wednesday, Thursday and Friday I was attending a work meeting at the Crowne Plaza in Cessnock, which is located directly across the road from Cessnock Airport. My original plan was to fly up, however the weather conditions were looking a little unpredictable and I didn't want to get stuck up there over the weekend.

The drive up confirmed the marginal flying conditions, there were fog patches in several places and the clouds were covering the high ground surrounding Cessnock.

Although I drove up to Cessnock, an easy 2 hour drive from Sydney, I took the opportunity to have a look around the airport early on Wednesday and Thursday mornings, and then watched a few circuits on the Friday afternoon.

The Flying Museum is well under way construction wise, and has a rather unique stype of architecture. On the Friday afternoon there were still scattered showers around, however there were four to six aircraft in the circuit, all singles except for the one twin. I was able to park right alongside the southern threshold (Runway 35), and the low airport fence was just outside the gable markers.

On the drive home I stopped off at Warnervale Airport to see what was happening there and was interested to see that they had PA-31 VH-OZG parked on the end of the runway with a camera crew right in front of the aircraft. Five people then pushed the aircraft about 50 meters back down the run and then returned back to the camera position. The aircraft was then started and did a short taxi towards the camera. Maybe an advertsiement or promotional video.

Here are a few photographs from the visit, maybe next time the weather will be kinder. There are more images on my web site Image Library.

The main entry to Cessnock Airport

The new Flying Museum is still under construction

The sign says opening early in 2008 but there is still some work to complete

Flying training - Cessna 152 VH-PVV about to touchdown

Basair Technam P2002 VH-JFN heading for a late touchdown

Avondale College's Beech 76 VH-LBF was busy in the circuit while I was there

Basair Cessna 152 VH-LBJ making a last minute correction before touchdown

Basair Cessna 152 VH-XGB makes a smooth touchdown

The weather station was having some maintenance, neat the way the pole folds down

Basair PA-30 Twin Commanche VH-LEU parked on the main apron area

Last edited by Grahame Hutchison; 21st June 2008 at 12:34 PM.
Old 29th June 2008, 02:11 AM

Grahame,

Only ever been to Cessnock once,that was in 1971.

NASA Academy was there, ( National Aeronautical S..? Academy )

It was the biggest flying training organisation in Australia at the time.
Old 29th June 2008, 03:56 PM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South

Hi Robert, 1971 was only a four years after I started flying, but I think I am safe in saying that the level of flying training activity at Cessnock was much higher then. Never the less it is a nice country airport, directly opposite the new Crowne Plaza Resort (golf), and very central to the vineyards in the Hunter Valley. While I was there a couple of weeks back there were 4-6 aircraft in the circuit area which is busy enough if you are training.

Last edited by Grahame Hutchison; 29th June 2008 at 04:18 PM.
Old 30th June 2008, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahame Hutchison View Post
Never the less it is a nice country airport, directly opposite the new Crowne Plaza Resort (golf), and very central to the vineyards in the Hunter Valley.
Is that a hint at another post relating to a proposed golf day in August Grahame