Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd March 2011, 09:53 AM

They could still put it up and have it do a few fly buys to atleast show us something, i.e what the hornet did at WOI, nothing special just so it can be seen in the air etc
QFA464 - 763
...:::My JetPhotos.Net Pics:::...
Old 2nd March 2011, 10:24 AM

I reckon the ADF shows are way better than Avalon now, the 1992, 1995, and 2001 were the best. I'm glad I'm not heading down I'm going to Miramar instead in October and I'll get to see a Raptor in it's true element..speaking of which anyone been to Miramar ?
Old 2nd March 2011, 02:13 PM

Miramar is a fantastic airshow, but it suffers from backlighting even worse than Avalon- thankfully, the raptors there usually perform just before the Blue Angels so by that time of day it is slightly photographable.
Old 2nd March 2011, 04:59 PM

On the F22s, the Geelong Advertiser spilt the beans, or at least the official version of them.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/...6465_news.html

"Despite the allure, Avalon Airshow patrons won't get to see the Raptor stretch its wings.

Lt-Col Niemi said only one US Air Force pilot had been specifically trained to fly Raptor demonstrations, because the margin for error at low altitude is so fine. That pilot was unavailable."

That is what I was told from the friendly ACC bloke in an email a few weeks ago and posted elsewhere. But I thought there was a difference between flying handling display demo and a gentle fly past, or departure. So you blokes wont be missing much that wasnt at willy, which I went to and was just superb BTW. Really all I can see that is new and sexy are the SAF F16s.

A sad first post, but hope to make up for it soon.
Old 2nd March 2011, 06:28 PM

I went down to the show today. The Raptors were under constant Vic Police guard with military/police dogs walking around the fenced-in area. You are able to get reasonably close, and there are plenty of photo ops still. It is a shame that they won't be flying, same with the B-52...
Old 2nd March 2011, 08:10 PM
AaronBradford

If that's the case why in the world did the USAF bother coming. :| This is seriously underwhelming and I'm becoming doubtful about my decision to go with a Gold Pass.

Last edited by AaronBradford; 2nd March 2011 at 08:16 PM.
Old 2nd March 2011, 09:03 PM

Exclamation

Maybe the "Raptors" are here for another reason!! Why would they fly them all this way and park them for a few days. They could have sent one made out of wood like JSF mockup would have been cheaper.
Old 3rd March 2011, 12:43 PM
Prolific Member

Connie just departed Wollongong for Avalon at 1635. It has done a couple of circuits prior to departure, but now is on the way.
Both the Dakota and Neptune departed a short time ago too.

Last edited by Nigel C; 3rd March 2011 at 03:41 PM. Reason: updated info
Old 4th March 2011, 09:55 PM

Well, I have just arrived home from the Air Show and it was very UNspectacular, it is very unfortunate that people have to pay that amount of money to see 2 F16's and the F/A 18 doing what they have done since 1992, the thing worth mentioning would have to be the B-1B from the USAF, that was out of this world to see that, it set off car alarms all over the carpark, stuffed up hearing the afterburners with all those going off around me!!. Never mind, it would have given the kids a buzz anyway.
Old 5th March 2011, 01:14 PM

B1 take off from last night:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJK4ftA_UQU