Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th August 2011, 05:55 PM

The union response is very interesting but not unexpected, clearly just seeking headlines yet again. From what I see the plan is in many ways a win win for management and the workforce. Whilst of course there are 1000 jobs to go (do wonder if this includes the 500 or so they announced a few months back), the bottom line is these jobs are going because Qantas are shrinking their international fleet. In no way are these staff being replaced by foreigners.

Now the unions argue that the new Asia based airline (probably in Hong Kong) is taking jobs away from Australian's, however from what I understand this airline will be based offshore, serving offshore markets, feed by Qantas flights from Australia crewed by Australian's based in Australia. As for the new airline how can anyone seriously expect for that to be crewed by Australian's, so long as it doesn't fly to our shores? So a win win really.

Last edited by Ash W; 16th August 2011 at 06:16 PM.
Old 16th August 2011, 06:09 PM

Location: South Western Sydney under the approach path of YBSK

Dave

Kevin can only speak Mandarin, but of course i can translete into cantonese!
Old 16th August 2011, 06:13 PM

Alex, sounds like a plan
Old 16th August 2011, 06:48 PM

Can't be bothered.

Last edited by Owen H; 16th August 2011 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Can't be bothered.
Old 16th August 2011, 07:02 PM

Just putting it out there, PLENTY of room for expansion in KUL... In fact they are already building now.
Old 16th August 2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OWEN H
In this whole announcement, I have not seen a single step which aims to develop or revitalise QF International. It is all slash and burn, and shows absolutely no initiative to develop the international brand.

When there is an underperforming part of the business, surely it would be wise to concentrate on returning that part to profit and success before pursuing multiple ventures which must be considered relatively high risk.

QF International is a solid business... it should be developed and returned to success. Working with the staff, investing in fuel-efficient equipment, and increasing service to compete with the likes of Emirates would be a good start. Instead, the entire announcement was slashing key routes, and establishing new businesses with venture partners.
Owen, not sure why you cannot be bothered, but lets look at some facts with your post that you have deleted. Firstly QF International is NOT a solid business. You don't have to believe Joyce to see this, just look at the traffic figures and see who people are flying and why. The main why is because there are now so many hub airlines based one hop to Australia's west that can offer bucket loads more destination options than Qantas can ever hope for and at a price that Qantas cannot compete with.

As for returning an under performing business to profit ever stop to think that this is what it is all about? Sometime you need to contract to be able to grow. From what I see Qantas is doing that, contracting to concentrate on specific markets where it makes perfect sense and is profitable for Qantas and growing new markets where there is demand an opportunity.

They are opening new markets that Qantas CANNOT do from Australia, ie Japanese domestic airline and this new Asian premium carrier. If these two entities, plus all the various other Jetstar Asian based operations work then there is no reason why they cannot generate and funnel traffic back into Australia, which in turn will allow the international business to grow, be profitable and be a solid business proposition.
Old 16th August 2011, 07:23 PM

I can't be bothered because people have already made their mind up either way.

It doesn't matter how much we discuss why all of the other premium carriers are going from strength to strength (including, I might add, BA which has far greater cost issues than QF), while Qantas retracts, and why there is more than enough proof that people ARE prepared to pay higher rates for Qantas flights than other carriers, people here either agree, or disagree, and that won't change.

For the record, the post was deleted for a reason, and I'm not particularly impressed at it being quoted and then remaining on the board.
Old 16th August 2011, 07:49 PM

Quote:
I can't be bothered because people have already made their mind up either way
Agree Owen. There appears to be one "expert" who even when others offer their opinion, they shoot them down.

I've not bothered to comment on any of this lately, because I can't be bothered reading the rant I'll get in reply.

Qantas, was once a great Australian airline and with the right management, it could still continue to be a great Australian airline. For now, it appears as though it's becoming the "Spirit of Asia".

Mick
Old 16th August 2011, 08:21 PM

Sounds like the pot calling the kettle black to me....
Old 16th August 2011, 08:33 PM

Not at all Ash.

I freely admit my mind is already made up based on the evidence I have seen, and I can see yours is made up based on what you have seen.

That doesn't mean we're wrong in doing that, just that there is really no point beating drums and/or chests over it any more.