Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th February 2010, 05:56 PM
Lukas M

Avalon will be a 3rd base rather than the only Victorian base. Dont ever believe what a Journalist writes guys, Tiger Management are not that stupid, they are planning Avalon to push JQ out of there.

Quote:
Nick - Tiger's Australian operation is operating at a loss
A record profit will be posted this April by the group, yet the Aussie ops are losing single figures now. Whilst their Singaporean operation is highly profitable at the moment, they can afford to prop up Tiger Australia which should post a profit next fiscal year.

They are now in a stronger position considering the IPO has been an enormous success, and loads/yield is growing. They have the lowest cost base in the entire region now and this will continue to shrink as more aircraft arrive.

Last edited by Lukas M; 4th February 2010 at 06:07 PM.
Old 4th February 2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post

Nick - Tiger's Australian operation is operating at a loss. I am not sure what you mean as 'continue doing well'?
Well they must be doing something right,as they are getting bums on to seats,as the flights into and out of MEL seem full,and 4 more aircraft to be based at MEL very soon.
Old 4th February 2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickN View Post
Mike, have you flown Tiger at all?
No, but I have flown with Jetstar and my Tiger reference comes from members of this board I respect

Does that count?
Old 4th February 2010, 08:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas M View Post
Avalon will be a 3rd base rather than the only Victorian base. Dont ever believe what a Journalist writes guys, Tiger Management are not that stupid, they are planning Avalon to push JQ out of there.
Show me where that in the media report is the case, it clearly says all operations will be moved to AVV

Quote:
A record profit will be posted this April by the group, yet the Aussie ops are losing single figures now. Whilst their Singaporean operation is highly profitable at the moment, they can afford to prop up Tiger Australia which should post a profit next fiscal year.
So you can turn a $55M loss into a record profit in the space of six months

Quote:
They are now in a stronger position considering the IPO has been an enormous success, and loads/yield is growing. They have the lowest cost base in the entire region now and this will continue to shrink as more aircraft arrive.
Ummm no it wasnt it was a major downgrade on the estimated $400M it was supposed to generate.
Old 4th February 2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post

Paul - bums on seats does not equate to profitability. You can still fill planes and make a loss. It's a given if you price your fares low, the seats will sell. Not a good result for an investor...
I am sure the investors would have done the sums.They cant be going too bad if they are increasing there services and adding more aircraft. The investors seem to think there doing all right or they would have pulled the plug by now.Tiger have done better than Compass MK1&2 and Impulse.
Old 5th February 2010, 08:50 AM

Andrew, I can only agree with Paul as he seems to be thinking the way I am. I couldn't see Tiger expanding routes and bringing on new aircraft if there wasn't indicators saying that profitability was there in the near future.

I did make comment in my first post about their OTP, and them having to make improvements in that area to continue to grow. I just couldn't see investors being willing to keep throwing money at the business if there weren't signs that something was going right.

Mike.....

Quote:
No, but I have flown with Jetstar and my Tiger reference comes from members of this board I respect

Does that count?
Spend a couple of dollars like others have and try them for yourself, you might be pleasantly surprised. Tiger 12 months ago is vastly different to Tiger today. They are a start-up LCC in a tough environment it was always going to be messy in the earlier days. If I recall correctly other LCC's in this country also had teething issues and weren't all that popular either. JQ was lucky that when they started ops they could push pax onto QF flights to avoid some of the backlash Tiger have received, however in alot of instances, DJ wasn't so lucky.

If you walk into this with the mindset Tiger is awful, you probably won't give yourself the opportunity to develop your own unbiased opinion.
Old 5th February 2010, 09:46 AM

^ You know, you're right Nick. I need to try them and to be honest, I haven't considered them really as an option. Next time I will.

Cheers
Old 5th February 2010, 09:54 AM

Mike, glad to hear it. I took the step of trying them out of curiosity just to see what would happen, I booked a day trip SYD-MEL on a $79 return fare. I turned up well in advance, check-in was easy and the flight was just like any other. In fact a few weeks after my trip I booked a spontaneous trip for my in-laws to Melbourne for their wedding anniversary and they also had good reviews of Tiger.

I hope you enjoy your flight too when you fly them next.
Old 5th February 2010, 02:50 PM
Banned

Lukas, I read this today

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busi...-1225826106450

Now when you list your company on a stock exchange, you are liable to your investors to release all details of the business and its profit/loss and operating performance on a monthly basis, already Tiger are with holding information.
Old 5th February 2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty H View Post
are liable to your investors to release all details of the business and its profit/loss and operating performance on a monthly basis, already
??? monthly - new one on me,