Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th November 2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
The 320 and 737 were evaluated by Qantas as part of fleet renewal and JQ allocation. Other considerations include costs to switch types i.e. equipment, GSE, spares, training, infrastructure, network impact etc. It does not just come down to how much the aeroplanes costs on the day.
But essentially that's but Qantas did when the set up JQ, doubling their inventory on parts, training, equipment etc. It would have been cheaper to just keep buying 737's for JQ using their existing MX set up. etc.... unless the 320s were incredibly cheap or it was incredibly important for them to have a point of difference to DJ (as some believed was important to Qantas at the time)
Old 5th November 2009, 05:32 PM

There was talk around 2001 that Qantas was going to order A320 family a/c to replace the 737's, but clearly Sep 11 and the collapse of Ansett provided a need to expand quickly and immediate availability of the 737's ordered for AA, hence maybe a quick rethink of the economics took place.

Mike, it is clear you profusely dislike Airbus aircraft. But I think you will find there are many airlines that are quite happy with the product and the economics of their aircraft models. The sales, repeat orders and future order books more or less speak for themselves.

As for Ryanair, Leahy made it clear that he wouldn't sell at the stupidly low prices that O'Leary demanded. Fair enough too, you have to make a profit on your aircraft sales.

As for ANZ, not a surprise they are changing domestic over to A320's considering they already operate the exact same model. The same couldn't be said for the 737 where they clearly operate the classic model.
Old 6th November 2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash W View Post
Mike, it is clear you profusely dislike Airbus aircraft.
It's more that I like Air New Zealand and the 737. The NZ 732 was the first jet I ever flew in so it's a softy thing as I'm sad NZ has finally moved on from the 737, whatever the gen. Not a hard thing against Airbus although I firmly believe that the buses aren't as well made as the Boeings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash W View Post
As for Ryanair, Leahy made it clear that he wouldn't sell at the stupidly low prices that O'Leary demanded.
Back to my point. Leahy is a hypocrite for saying he wouldn't sell at the stupidly low prices as he did just that when Easyjet switched to the Airbus. It is well documented.
Old 6th November 2009, 05:16 PM

Yeah Leahy does come across as a snake oil salesman but to be fair I wouldn't want to deal with O'leary if it meant playing his game.