Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th July 2011, 09:07 AM

Thanks for your continuing updates & pics from Bankstown .I was behind the wire fence that Saturday & trying to find a good viewing spot as .From your knowledge were are the best viewing spots , now . The Airport seems even more blocked off .In 1966 i did a restricted licence course out there with Navair & i still like to watch the circuits etc.I saw you , i think with camera around the terminal ?
Old 4th July 2011, 09:52 AM

Hello Nigel C:
I am very interested in the decision making process here.
What percentage of your decision to “call the feds and have him checked out” is contributed to by the fact he is carrying a camera (as you metioned).
If he arrived at your doorway and sought access (non-airside) without a camera would you still have an inclination to “call the feds”
Old 4th July 2011, 12:43 PM
AaronBradford

Good pics - I'm pretty sure I saw VH-FHB flying around over the harbour/LNS yesterday afternoon. Extremely similar paintjob and I did see something mounted at the front, although I didn't have my camera at the time.
Old 4th July 2011, 01:52 PM
Prolific Member

Hello PeterR,

Yes, I would probably call the feds camera or no camera. The notion that someone would try to gain access past a security checkpoint in 'civvies' by virtue of producing an ASIC for a look around just doesn't sit well with me personally (it's perhaps not airside, but no "lawful excuse" either). I'd rather be safe than sorry.

But having said that, I don't work in security, so I don't know what the current protocols are for that type of activity.
Old 4th July 2011, 01:57 PM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South

Aaaron, I am not exactly sure of the setup for 3D photography, however the two cameras looked to be pointing inwards slightly, so that their field of view would overlap. The rig used to support the cameras seemed like a special built, and the cameras were quite different to the normal infrared setup on some choppers, more like normal video cameras. Even in the close up shot, I cannot see any identification on the cameras or rig.
Old 8th July 2011, 09:09 AM

Danny G, there are not many spots left for viewing at Bankstown.
I normally head to Bunnings on Milperra Road and park in the small carpark just on the right of the entrance to the complex.
If it is a weekend, still turn off Milperra Road to Bunnings, but try driving past Bunnings and turn right at the roundabout and continuing along that road.
You may be able to park on a concrete driveway off to the right at the end of the runways, or continue along and find somewhere to park further down the road.
Don' try this during the week though, as there are too many trucks coming and going, just stick to Bunnings then.