Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th August 2009, 02:50 AM

Wink

I wouldnt be impressed if i was on that flight and trying to have a sleep on the way to Alice Springs!

I think the shows a good thing. Too many people think catching a plane is no different to getting on a bus just because the fares are so low. Any show that raises awareness and demonstrates the complexities of air travel has to be a good thing.

I used to love saying when they got argumentative "unfortunately sir the other 170 passengers made sure they came to the airport at the correct time thats why their onboard". In other words dont abuse me your the only one standing here who needs to get their **** together.
Old 12th August 2009, 07:01 AM

Just to ask the dumb question, what would have happened if the flight to Alice Springs had hit an air pocket? With all those people asked to be up and out of their seats by the flight attendants?

I thought you were encouraged for your own safety to sit down belt up and shut up?
Old 12th August 2009, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew M View Post
The program is average at best.

Full of morons that:
Arrive late
Have too much baggage
Are over the baggage limit
Can't speak English

People that pay those low airfares are definitely a certain group of people.
An equally valid comment could be made about a certian group of people who only pay high airfares. "Morons" can be found in a number of groups of people.
Old 12th August 2009, 08:30 AM

Question Tiger by the tail?

This may be a dumb question, but why does Tiger agree to this kind of coverage? It surely can't be good PR?
Old 12th August 2009, 08:57 AM

I think that they are working on the old maxim that any publicity is good publicity.

Whens the BBQ in Brisvegas Muzzdog??

Soon..
No where. Where should I go?
Old 12th August 2009, 03:32 PM

Philip - I think there are two reasons. One to educate the general public about Tiger Airways (free publicity) and thier procedures.

I think the other reason is public perception. Low cost carriers in particular, as well as all airlines, cop a lot of criticism. In some instances, the airline is to blame but a lot of the time it is simply the passengers not reading the terms and conditions and being aware how the airline operates. The show is actually showing many instances where the passengers is in the wrong, not the airline.

Too many times we abide by the "customer is always right" saying and yet the airline is the one who cops all the flack. Too many people don't have an understanding of low cost carriers and the reasons your fare is so low.
Old 12th August 2009, 04:05 PM

It does seem that the main reason is the publicity. Tiger are too stingy to pay for TV ads, but a good 20 minutes per week for which they pay minimal is absolutely golden. Yes, there is a risk that they could come out looking pretty bad at times, but they still have the final say on what goes to air, so it's somewhat controllable.

Bear in mind too that Tiger Australia's MD Shelley Roberts is ex-easyJet, and so she's had experience with this type of show. Airline was the same thing with the same dummy spits, mess ups etc, yet overall it probably gave easyJet some of the best publicity during their initial stages. So if it worked for them, why not try it here?
Old 12th August 2009, 05:31 PM

I think Tiger would be enjoying the publicity......while there may be some who are unhappy with them, there are more than enough people ready to take their spot.

More than enough who are happy to pay a low fare and turn up on time.

Last edited by Robert Zweck; 12th August 2009 at 05:41 PM.
Old 12th August 2009, 10:00 PM

Agree with Andrew, its about Brand awareness.

Its also about showing you what will (or will not!) happen when you dont turn up on time.

There really is no downside for Tiger here, take the tanti's out, and everyone who then puts thier hard-earned down, knows Exactly what to expect.

Its the same as if you buy a cheap import car for $13,999 drive-away, dont expect a Maserati with all the bells and whistles.

And for those who dont get it, take the bus, or to be fair to the busses, stay home!