Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th March 2013, 07:07 PM

The dataplate should be up on the rear left side of the aircraft if it is like other Embraer aircraft.

There are certainly some hidden aircraft at Bankstown that no one knows about ie like this EMB-110

The Grumman is ex N121GL and supposed to be based in DRW.
Old 29th March 2013, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahame Hutchison View Post
VH-GWH Grumman G-21A Goose (B-49) 1944 operated by Air Frontier - still parked in the same place as back in Dec 2012
Greetings all. I'm new to your board. I live in the U.S. (St. Louis) and I've been researching the whereabouts of this Grumman Goose. I flew on this plane 30 years ago on a flight from Winnipeg to a fishing lodge in northern Ontario Canada. I was on a fishing trip with my dad. The plane has a special place in my heart because as we were loading our fishing gear on the plane, I wasn't paying attention and I walked straight into the horizontal stabilizer, splitting my cheek clean open. After a trip to a Winnipeg hospital for some stitches and an extra night in Winnipeg, we were good to go the next morning. (I guess you could say the plane has a special place on my face.)

I've tracked the plane from Canada to Chicago, to New Hampshire, Greenland, western Europe and now Australia. So I'd love to continue keeping up with this Goose. Any more photos of her would be appreciated.

Here's a photo of me and a buddy of mine (I'm on the right) standing next to the Goose when it was registered as C-GRCZ in Winnipeg Canada.

Here's another:

I didn't know where else to post these on the board. I hope you don't mind me posting them here.

Thanks.
Old 30th March 2013, 05:14 AM
Prolific Member

Welcome to the board Steve. Here is as good a place as any to show these photos.

It looks like it's had some work done to it around the windscreens since you flew on it...I wonder if it's had a corrosion issue there and the new shape is a result of repairs done?
Old 30th March 2013, 08:34 AM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South

Hi Steve and a warm welcome to "The Board" also.

Great to hear that you have such a "close" connection with this Goose, I photographed it back in December (see this thread), and it has remained at this location ever since. There is also a short video clip that includes the Goose on my website www.16Right.com (see the 16R Video menu) or Youtube.

I have great memories of watching some "Goose" movements (no pun intended) in Auckland harbour in the late 60s, and it is definitely on my list of amphibian favourites.

I will keep an eye on the aircraft for you, and let you know if I hear of any plans for its future.
Old 30th March 2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel C View Post
Welcome to the board Steve. Here is as good a place as any to show these photos.

It looks like it's had some work done to it around the windscreens since you flew on it...I wonder if it's had a corrosion issue there and the new shape is a result of repairs done?
Thanks Nigel.

From looking back at old photos that I found on the internet, it looks like the windscreen was modified between 1991 and 1993. It was during that time that the plane's detail went from the sea green and white to the red and white that it is today.
Old 30th March 2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahame Hutchison View Post
Hi Steve and a warm welcome to "The Board" also.

Great to hear that you have such a "close" connection with this Goose, I photographed it back in December (see this thread), and it has remained at this location ever since. There is also a short video clip that includes the Goose on my website www.16Right.com (see the 16R Video menu) or Youtube.

I have great memories of watching some "Goose" movements (no pun intended) in Auckland harbour in the late 60s, and it is definitely on my list of amphibian favourites.

I will keep an eye on the aircraft for you, and let you know if I hear of any plans for its future.
Thanks Grahame.

I watched your youtube video. Very nice. It's nice to see the Goose.

I'll check back in from time to time.