Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th June 2009, 05:53 PM

Evening all,

As mentioned earlier the B772ER's were only flying on this flight til July 14, it has now been extended to July 21, so from July 22nd the flight will go to B77W's.

My Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/53284949@N05/
Old 5th July 2009, 10:25 PM

Anyone know the rego of todays SQ231.
Old 5th July 2009, 10:38 PM

It was 9V-SVK

Thanks
Old 6th July 2009, 06:49 AM

Thanks Matthew.
Old 17th July 2009, 02:29 AM

As I told earlier here, I took SQ 232 on late June and found out the whole B744 flight was FULL.

Now SQ has downgraded the service to a lower capacity B772 right now and a B77W with even lower capacity will commence service on 21st July. I simply worried about the loading as capacity SIN - SYD seems reduced on such a popular service hence more commutors may not be able to get on the plane.

Does anyone have an idea about the loading on SQ 231/232 these few weeks? To improve service quality, I think Singapore Airlines should scrap the current SQ 221/222 A380 service and downsize by B77W; then to add 1 B77W to SYD leaving SIN at 9 - 10pm and SYD at 9 - 10pm hence make it from 28 to 35 Weekly or even more.
Old 17th July 2009, 07:26 AM

SQ have always stated loud and clear that they wanted to retire the 744's. The economic downturn accelerated these plans. While maybe worthwhile, there really isn't a point for SQ to operate a 5th daily service to Singapore, as SQ operate their flights timed for connections in their hub in Singapore. I mean, SQ220 is timed for Asian destinations, SQ232 is timed for Indian / Asian destinations, SQ222 is timed for European / Japanese destinations, hence the A380 because of probable load, with SQ234 timed for the later European / Asian / African destinations.

If SQ were to operate a 5th flight into Sydney, where would the feed go once it got back to Singapore at about 3 - 4am? I don't think SQ want their passengers waiting for more than 3 hours in Singapore if they can help it.

I doubt SQ will operate a 5th flight especially when the 4th flight was a challenge to make decent. If anything, I think SQ231 / SQ232 could be upgraded to a A380 before another flight is added. Someone help me out... Is SQ234 doing better since SQ232 has been changed to a 777?

Alex.
Old 17th July 2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur T View Post
and a B77W with even lower capacity will commence service on 21st July.
I dont mean to quote you but a 77W did todays SQ231/232 service, it was 9V-SWS.
Old 17th July 2009, 03:55 PM

That's alright Tim

The information I got is from airlineroute updates, which indicates it has changed to B772 till 20th July. But I believe if they have spare B77W it is probable and is a treat to customers to deploy a newer aircraft, particularly with new long-haul product in such a popular route as the last-minute aircraft change.

Furthermore, I don't think SQ 234 will serve late Asian flights, since it will land SIN after 11pm, where most Asian connections such as HKG, BKK, KUL has departed their last service. If SQ can launch the new overnight ex-SYD service, it will arrive around 5pm in SIN hence people can change their first SIN flights of the day to Europe/Asia, departing around 7am - 9am.

My suggested new service will be:

Outbound SIN - SYD 2230/0800+1 B77W
Inbound SYD - SIN 2250/0500+1 B77W

Passengers for HKG/BKK/KUL etc can connect their next service departing bewteen 7am - 8.30am in SIN, which includes a reasonable connection time of 2 - 3.5 hours.

Considering adding such a service, I think we gotta look at other Australian cities like BNE/MEL as they already incorporated such a ex-Aus overnight service back to Asia while SYD does not. Hence I believe such a service would have its market. In addition, CX 138 and AY 5848 is currently monopolise the direct ex-SYD overnight service to SE Asia, I believe SQ and other carriers should consider ulterising such a timeslot to compete with Cathay and Finnair.

Regarding SQ's B773, I heard they will be refitted with the new long-haul product and commence service on SIN - SYD Route on 22/7. (source: wiki) Does it indicates 9V-SYD (claimed refitted on wiki) will come to SYD on daily SQ 231/232 service?

Last edited by Arthur T; 17th July 2009 at 04:17 PM.
Old 17th July 2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Inbound SYD - SIN 2250/0500+1 B77W

Passengers for HKG/BKK/KUL etc can connect their next service departing bewteen 7am - 8.30am in SIN, which includes a reasonable connection time of 2 - 3.5 hours.
as plane needs to be of the ground by 11.00pm. departure would have to be 10.30pm at the latest

in summer this will give an arrival time into SIN at about 3.30am, not very socialable

also if going to KUL, HKG or BKK, can get a direct flight that will get me there much earlier than a detour via SIN

Banjo
Old 17th July 2009, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur T View Post
Furthermore, I don't think SQ 234 will serve late Asian flights, since it will land SIN after 11pm, where most Asian connections such as HKG, BKK, KUL has departed their last service. If SQ can launch the new overnight ex-SYD service, it will arrive around 5pm in SIN hence people can change their first SIN flights of the day to Europe/Asia, departing around 7am - 9am.
Arthur,

Where do you get your timings from?

YSSYWSSS is roughly 8hrs give or take, a departure ex-YSSY prior to curfew (so for arguments sake say 2230) would get you to WSSS around 0700

SQ's current offerings are sufficient enough to offer connections to wherever you need to connect to.

SQ220 gets you into WSSS around 1400 - perfect if you're staying in WSSS.

SQ232 gets you into WSSS around 1800 - not too bad if you want to stay in WSSS or transit for a bit, enjoy a few beverages in the lounge prior to boarding..

SQ222 gets you in around 2200- not too bad for a euro/american connections.

Personally, I think 233/234 is overkill fulltime, but as a seasonal option is not too bad...