Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th October 2008, 11:58 PM

They provide everyone blankets and pillows on the overnight Perth-East Coast legs.
Old 8th October 2008, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mak View Post
QF international indeed offers pillow and blanket but they don't that for domestic flights unless upon request.

How can one justify the cost of installing StarClass on the A320 at the expanse of other Y class seat? How many JQ customers would fly on StarClass when they fly SYD-AVV, SYD-OOL-, BNE-ROK, MEL-HBA?
To add to Ryan's post yes, pillows and blankets are preset at 100% in Y/C on the first and last flight of the day from MEL and SYD to PER (and CBR-PER) and all night flights PER-MEL/SYD/BNE. J/C should have them loaded at 100% but on day sectors the blankets are stowed above, rather than preset on seats.

SYD-DRW-SYD and CNS-PER-CNS on the night flights pillows and blankets are also loaded at 100% in both cabins.

On Tasman / Noumea flights pillows and blankets are loaded at 100% in J/C and about 50% in Y/C.

Apologies for the thread drift!

Regarding StarClass on domestic, I think it it could work by removing 1 row of seats and increasing the legroom to 34" for the first six or so rows. StarClass could also offer the centre seat free with movable armrests. The manufacturer of JQ's current seat, Brice, also makes convertible seats. When not being used for StarClass (and I agree it would not suit all flights/routes), Jetstar could sell the seats as extra legroom seats. I think it could work - and Jetstar, I believe, have proven to be quite adaptive when it comes to maximising revenue and custom.
Old 8th October 2008, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Argy View Post
I tried DJ's "Premium Economy"...there was not so much as a free cup of tea or a cup of water.

And the 7kg carry-on limit is ridiculous, especially when most crew take offence when I point out that my laptop is permitted in addition to the 7kg (at least as I read DJ's rules).
I was amazed when DJ announced this product that it did not include some sort of complimentary food and drink. Both Air Canada and flybe - British European give high Y-fare customers a voucher for food and drink on check-in on flights where food is sold. That includes the QuickCheck and WebCheck-in check-in processes, where the voucher is printed - looks similar to a boarding pass.

On BMI top tier Frequent Flyers receive free catering on presentation of their membership cards.

So the technology or processes are there, which is why I am still surprised DJ hasn't offered something similar.
Old 8th October 2008, 10:02 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth U View Post
Regarding StarClass on domestic, I think it it could work by removing 1 row of seats and increasing the legroom to 34" for the first six or so rows. StarClass could also offer the centre seat free with movable armrests. The manufacturer of JQ's current seat, Brice, also makes convertible seats. When not being used for StarClass (and I agree it would not suit all flights/routes), Jetstar could sell the seats as extra legroom seats. I think it could work - and Jetstar, I believe, have proven to be quite adaptive when it comes to maximising revenue and custom.
Oops! Think that's the difference bewteen CityFlyer right?
I just feel surprised there is no pillow/blanket on all DRW and CNS flights, as sectors like MEL - CNS or MEL - DRW etc is not short though.
Another wonder is why Hobart and Darwin is not part of QF's CityFlyer destinations?

About StarClass, I agree some routes such as Prosperine or Hamilton Island does not require any StarClass or even 1 or 2 StarClass seat, in the case JetStar can even raise their JetFlex fare for those extra legroom convertables.
However 6 rows seems too much, 2 rows is enough (Rows 1 & 2)

Regarding DJ's Premium Economy, think Australia cannot afford a full Business Class flights bewteen cities, but sounds there is a lot of room for Virgin Blue to enhance their service, make it a bit more luxary or reasonable to compete with QANTAS's business class. But I recoknd at some point QF's business class might be hurt by DJ for some extent.

If NZ's FF system can capable into *A, is there possibity for Velocity to join *A in the future?
Old 9th October 2008, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur T View Post

If NZ's FF system can capable into *A, is there possibity for Velocity to join *A in the future?
Of course there is - one small problem - Air NZ blocking them!
Old 9th October 2008, 08:42 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Morrison View Post
Of course there is - one small problem - Air NZ blocking them!
Why is Air NZ blocking DJ's entry into Star Alliance? Is it due to domestic competition within NZ?
ABQ ABX ACV ADD ADL AKL ALB AMA AMS ANC ARN ATH ATL AUA AUH AUS AVL AVV AZA BCN BDL BFL BGO BGR BHD BHM BHQ BIL BIS BKI BKK BLD BLI BLV BNA BNE BOG BOI BOJ BOS BRO BSB BTR BUF BUD BUR BWI BZE BZN CAI CBR CGK CHC CHS CLE CLT CMH CNS CNX COS CPH CPT CTG CTS CUE CUN CUZ CVG CXF CYS CZM DAL DBO DCA DEN DFW DLH DOH DRW DSM DTW DUD DUR DXB ECP ELP EUG EWR EYW EZE FAI FAR FAT FCA FCO FLG FLL FNL FNT FRA FRS FSD FU'K FWA GCN GDL GDN GEG GGW GIG GJT GOT GRI GRR GRU GSP GTF GUA GVA GYE HAM HAN HBA HBE HEL HHH HKD HKG HLZ HND HNL HOU HRL HSV HVB IAD IAH ICN ICT IDA IND INV ISP IST ITM ITO JAB JAX JFK JNB JNU JOG JTR KEF KGC KIX KMI KMJ KMQ KOA KRK KTN KUL LAS LAX LBB LBE LEJ LFT LGA LGB LHR LIH LIM LIN LIT LRD LST MAD MAF MAO MCI MCO MCT MCY MDE MDT MDW MEL MEM MEX MFE MFR MHU MIA MID MKE MNL MOB MOT MQL MRY MSN MSO MSP MSY MTJ MTY MUC MVD MXP MZT NAN NAS NRT NTL OAG OAK OGG OKA OKC OMA OME ONT OOL ORD OSL OTZ OUI PAE PBG PDX PEK PER PHL PHX PIA PIT PLO PLZ PNH PSC PSG PSP PTY PVD PVG PVR PVU RAP RDD RDM RDU REC REP RIC RIX RNO ROC RSW SAL SAN SAT SAV SBA SBD SBN SBP SCK SCL SDF SDU SEA SFO SGF SGN SGU SHA SHV SIN SIT SJC SJD SJO SJU SLC SMF SMX SNA SOF SSA STL STS SUN SYD SYO SYR TIJ TLL TMW TPA TPE TSV TUL TUS TWF TYS VAR VIE VNO VPS WAW WDH WGA WLG WRG WVB XIY XNA YEG YHM YHZ YKM YOW YQB YQG YQM YTZ YUL YUM YVR YWG YXE YYC YYJ YYT YYZ ZRH

Next Trips:
21-24JUN LAS-GJT-LAS G4
29-30JUN LAS-FAT-LAS WN/G4
03-09JUL LAS-MAN/LHR-LAS VS
13-14JUL LAS-DTW-LAS WN/DL
20-21JUL LAS-DEN-CPR-DEN-LAS UA
27-28JUL LAS-YVR/YCD-YVR-LAS AC/WS
03-04AUG LAS-SAN-LAS WN/F9
10-11AUG LAS-LAX-JAC-SLC-LAS UA/DL
17-18AUG LAS-SEA-KTN-SEA-LAS AS
24-25AUG LAS-SLC/EKO-SLC-LAS DL
29AUG-03SEP LAS-MSP-TVC-DFW-LAS SY/AA
06-08SEP LAS-ANC-ADQ-ANC-LAS AS
14-16SEP LAS-CLT-LAS AA
20-22SEP LAS-DEN-XWA-LAS UA/SY
28-29SEP LAS-DEN-LAS UA
07-12NOV LAS-DUB-LAS EI
28NOV-02DEC LAS-OGG-MKK-HNL-LAS HA/9X
19DEC LAS-LAX UA
01-02FEB LAS-SEA-LAS AS
15-18FEB LAS-EWR/BTV-ORD-LAS UA
Old 9th October 2008, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin L. View Post
Why is Air NZ blocking DJ's entry into Star Alliance? Is it due to domestic competition within NZ?

Classic case of I am bigger than you, I tell you what I can and can't do?
Old 9th October 2008, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Bramwell View Post
Classic case of I am bigger than you, I tell you what I can and can't do?
But aren't Star Alliance long for their *A airline in OZ again after Ansett's failure?

Then DJ can consider SkyTeam then

Anyway, if NZ thinks they are bigger than DJ, then why not NZ buy DJ straight away?

QF has their service in NZ so I don't think that is a problem actually.
Old 9th October 2008, 02:13 PM

DJ is very profitable in NZ at the moment from what i hear - they are undercutting ANZ by a fair amount last i heard.

If they were to come into the Star Alliance Allicance i'm sure it would come with an agreement about the termination of some DJ services to/from/within NZ, something i don't think DJ would be too fond of doing.
Old 9th October 2008, 02:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys Xanthis View Post
If they were to come into the Star Alliance Allicance i'm sure it would come with an agreement about the termination of some DJ services to/from/within NZ, something i don't think DJ would be too fond of doing.
But if DJ were to join, couldn't Virgin Blue only join, with Pacific Blue and Polynesian Blue not be a part of it? The same way LAN Ecuador and LAN Argentina were not originally part of oneworld (only the then LAN Chile, now LAN)?
ABQ ABX ACV ADD ADL AKL ALB AMA AMS ANC ARN ATH ATL AUA AUH AUS AVL AVV AZA BCN BDL BFL BGO BGR BHD BHM BHQ BIL BIS BKI BKK BLD BLI BLV BNA BNE BOG BOI BOJ BOS BRO BSB BTR BUF BUD BUR BWI BZE BZN CAI CBR CGK CHC CHS CLE CLT CMH CNS CNX COS CPH CPT CTG CTS CUE CUN CUZ CVG CXF CYS CZM DAL DBO DCA DEN DFW DLH DOH DRW DSM DTW DUD DUR DXB ECP ELP EUG EWR EYW EZE FAI FAR FAT FCA FCO FLG FLL FNL FNT FRA FRS FSD FU'K FWA GCN GDL GDN GEG GGW GIG GJT GOT GRI GRR GRU GSP GTF GUA GVA GYE HAM HAN HBA HBE HEL HHH HKD HKG HLZ HND HNL HOU HRL HSV HVB IAD IAH ICN ICT IDA IND INV ISP IST ITM ITO JAB JAX JFK JNB JNU JOG JTR KEF KGC KIX KMI KMJ KMQ KOA KRK KTN KUL LAS LAX LBB LBE LEJ LFT LGA LGB LHR LIH LIM LIN LIT LRD LST MAD MAF MAO MCI MCO MCT MCY MDE MDT MDW MEL MEM MEX MFE MFR MHU MIA MID MKE MNL MOB MOT MQL MRY MSN MSO MSP MSY MTJ MTY MUC MVD MXP MZT NAN NAS NRT NTL OAG OAK OGG OKA OKC OMA OME ONT OOL ORD OSL OTZ OUI PAE PBG PDX PEK PER PHL PHX PIA PIT PLO PLZ PNH PSC PSG PSP PTY PVD PVG PVR PVU RAP RDD RDM RDU REC REP RIC RIX RNO ROC RSW SAL SAN SAT SAV SBA SBD SBN SBP SCK SCL SDF SDU SEA SFO SGF SGN SGU SHA SHV SIN SIT SJC SJD SJO SJU SLC SMF SMX SNA SOF SSA STL STS SUN SYD SYO SYR TIJ TLL TMW TPA TPE TSV TUL TUS TWF TYS VAR VIE VNO VPS WAW WDH WGA WLG WRG WVB XIY XNA YEG YHM YHZ YKM YOW YQB YQG YQM YTZ YUL YUM YVR YWG YXE YYC YYJ YYT YYZ ZRH

Next Trips:
21-24JUN LAS-GJT-LAS G4
29-30JUN LAS-FAT-LAS WN/G4
03-09JUL LAS-MAN/LHR-LAS VS
13-14JUL LAS-DTW-LAS WN/DL
20-21JUL LAS-DEN-CPR-DEN-LAS UA
27-28JUL LAS-YVR/YCD-YVR-LAS AC/WS
03-04AUG LAS-SAN-LAS WN/F9
10-11AUG LAS-LAX-JAC-SLC-LAS UA/DL
17-18AUG LAS-SEA-KTN-SEA-LAS AS
24-25AUG LAS-SLC/EKO-SLC-LAS DL
29AUG-03SEP LAS-MSP-TVC-DFW-LAS SY/AA