Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd October 2009, 01:13 PM

Any talk of A330s doing LAX-JFK, BNE-LAX, HKG-LHR is typical short-term thinking from Qantas.

By the time they make the changes and get them up and running on those routes, the demand will pick up and there will be a shortage of seats. And the 747-400s that used to fly them will be parked in a desert somewhere.

But what would I know?
Old 22nd October 2009, 01:16 PM

I have also heard from a QF cabin crew member the LAX-JFK-LAX will be operated by a 332. He mentioned the QF25/QF26 AKL-LAX will be 332 ops from the new summer 10 sked.
Old 22nd October 2009, 02:11 PM

I think it would be good for the A332 to do the LAX-JFK-LAX sector. I flew this one in early 2007, and talking with the cabin crew it usually struggles to get a 50 per cent seat factor even at the best of times, but seems to be retained for strategic value. Therefore, it's probably in their best interests to get another aircraft with capacity more matched to the demand and likely better operating economics to run it. Sure, it may not be able to offer Premium Y or First, but it will be better than most domestic US carriers which are the only alternatives.

Tom, the aircraft do not have to be N registered, as strictly speaking it is still an international service. Qantas can't pick up domestic pax in LAX, it's all connecting traffic. They've operated this tag flight for a while with VH registered 744s.
Old 22nd October 2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:
The next new domestic 332 goes to QF next month & Jetstar get one of their used ones. As I understand it, the following new domestic 332 goes to Jetstar & the 3rd 332 arriving in Feb is an international config a/c for Qantas.
Incorrect!

Only 2x A330s are on order both are QF domestic one due in NOV and the other in FEB both will be fitted with the new PTV IFE.

JQ will be taking the current QF domestic A332 VH-EBK and thats it till 2011 when the new HGW version arrives for JQ.

QF have no further A330s on order!
Old 28th October 2009, 02:49 PM

Hey guys thanks for the info...

FYI my flight QF575 SYD-PER tomorrow will be with the domestic config 332 so no Skybeds :-(

When I checked in online it had a 2x3x2 config
Old 28th October 2009, 03:19 PM

Unfortunatley yes Jon, QF575 tomorrow is VH-EBJ which is domestic config
Old 4th November 2009, 03:20 PM

The new QF domestic A332s EBM/EBN will be in a 36J/265Y config featuring the new style seats and IFE.

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airl...-332/global/en

As already mentioned VH-EBK will leave the fleet shortly bound for JQ, the other current domestic A332 VH-EBJ will remain in the QF fleet.

Does anyone know if VH-EBJ will be upgraded with the new seats/IFE to match the 2x new domestic A332s?

Thanks
Old 4th November 2009, 07:31 PM

Watch out for 744's back on SYD-PER-SYD in the near future.
Old 5th November 2009, 07:49 PM

If B744 or B74W are back on SYD-PER-SYD then Qantas may have to introduce Domestic Premium Economy?

Sounds a good idea as it can effectively turn Virgin Blue's high yield customers back to Qantas and beat Virgin Blue.

Re Mick's comment about "Any talk of A330s doing LAX-JFK, BNE-LAX, HKG-LHR is typical short-term thinking from Qantas", I doubt whether Qantas will do that because A333 cannot do HKG - LHR nor BNE - LAX sectors, otherwise Cathay Pacific will have deployed A333s on HKG - LHR service already. A332 may have enough range to do HKG - LHR, but there's big enough to provide sufficient number of seats to customers or else Qantas risk their passengers being transferred to its competitor Cathay Pacific.

Last edited by Arthur T; 5th November 2009 at 07:57 PM.