Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th February 2011, 01:32 PM

Have u herd a story that the F22's may call in at Williamtown on their way to or from the Avalon airshow?
Old 26th February 2011, 03:10 PM

Yes have heard that, B-52,Vipers,B-1,KC-10 as well as a E-3 arrived all from Guam at Avalon today. No word on Raptor's but when the fighters come down there all bunched together normally to stay with the Tankers. It would make sense I don't think the yanks would want there prized jet sitting in a paddock with lax security compared to a opperating base... So willy could get some visitors tonight as the Raptor's will be from Guam with AK tail code...
Old 26th February 2011, 06:10 PM

I will keep my eyes and ears on the sky we are under the flight path for 12.
Old 26th February 2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaryd stock View Post
Yes have heard that, B-52,Vipers,B-1,KC-10 as well as a E-3 arrived all from Guam at Avalon today. No word on Raptor's but when the fighters come down there all bunched together normally to stay with the Tankers. It would make sense I don't think the yanks would want there prized jet sitting in a paddock with lax security compared to a opperating base... So willy could get some visitors tonight as the Raptor's will be from Guam with AK tail code...
It dosnt make sense what you are saying about security,last time i checked Avalon was a international airport with full security not a paddock and why do you think everything has to go via Willy.
Old 26th February 2011, 10:54 PM
AaronBradford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul f. View Post
It dosnt make sense what you are saying about security,last time i checked Avalon was a international airport with full security not a paddock and why do you think everything has to go via Willy.
The poster above didn't say AVV had little security, but said it was lacking compared to an operating Royal Australian Air Force base. Which would you think would be more secure?

Oh, and FYI there are no current scheduled international passenger flights to/from AVV and it does not have an international terminal/customs (although AirAsia X has the rights to fly to AVV I beleive).

Last edited by AaronBradford; 26th February 2011 at 11:00 PM.
Old 26th February 2011, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul f. View Post
Paul as Aaron said compared to a RAAF base Avalon does have lax security, once the international militay arrive the ADF take over the night watch and the local police and private security look after it during the day as I have observed.

Mate I've gone on trade days to two airshows and no word of a lie there were no guards at the main gate and I walked straight through no one stopped me. As regards Willy there was an extra tanker that arrived on Friday night or so I've been told and the tower was open later than normal tonight.

At RIAT last year the F-22's were parked away from the crowds and put in the hangers it only came out to do it's solo, then straight back in the sheds it went so going by that I don't think they would want there 5th Gen fighter with highly senstive stuff abord sitting with the rest of the fighters in a paddock if there at Willy they would arrive just before the show starts...
Old 27th February 2011, 07:26 AM

According to the lay out map i've seen both F22's will be parked side by side on the big apron area next to the two C17's.

I know this isn't set in concrete and may change.

Also what are the possibilties of the aircraft going to east sale instead of williamtown?
Old 27th February 2011, 08:13 AM

They wont go to East Sale.
Old 27th February 2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Paul as Aaron said compared to a RAAF base Avalon does have lax security, once the international militay arrive the ADF take over the night watch and the local police and private security look after it during the day as I have observed.
Not to be picky, so surely that means with the USAF/RAF arrivals yesterday that would mean the ADF would now be in charge? You'll probably find the USAF will bring their own security detail as well for the F-22's, given how sensitive they are about them.

Quote:
Mate I've gone on trade days to two airshows and no word of a lie there were no guards at the main gate and I walked straight through no one stopped me. As regards Willy there was an extra tanker that arrived on Friday night or so I've been told and the tower was open later than normal tonight.
If the F-22's were going to Willy they would have been in before or just after the tanker. They aren't separated by much from what I've seen in the past.

There's a lot of rumours going around about the F-22's (e.g they were supposed to be based at Willy for the FCI course), lets just see what happens eh?

Last edited by Chris Thurtell; 27th February 2011 at 10:54 AM. Reason: .
Old 27th February 2011, 12:05 PM

G'day All,

Well, Friday's wind, weather and mission profiles weren't entirely favorable for us, but I did manage to get the last (seventh) jet to complete the set. It was also great to actually meet up with a couple of forum members too.

And the Tanker did a surprise go-around on RW12.

And just some more shots for the fun of it.

Cheers,
Motty.