Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th September 2010, 09:23 PM

So whats the KC-135 supporting??

Whens the BBQ in Brisvegas Muzzdog??

Soon..
No where. Where should I go?
Old 18th September 2010, 06:03 PM

Nothing. It was on static display.

No US planes today, I assume tomorrow will be the same.
Old 18th September 2010, 07:11 PM

What was the show like Matt ?

Anything interesting to report in the way of colour schemes or new types on display ?

I would have loved to have been there but instead spent most of the day pulling weeds out of my garden in Perth.
Old 18th September 2010, 07:36 PM

The KC135R was the only overseas aircraft participant . It flew from its base Mc Connell AFB Kansas to Willy via Hickham AFB Hawaii . I only went to see the F111 , I wasn't disappointed there , some great dump and burn runs , however , I thought the display was pretty ordinary overall . I would have liked to have seen a Eurocopter Tiger , but no show there either .. The Super Hornets were very impressive though .. The rest was all very regular stuff , and nothing to get too excited about .

Dave C
Old 18th September 2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C View Post
The Super Hornets were very impressive though .. The rest was all very regular stuff , and nothing to get too excited about .
How they made the Rhino louder than three F-111s, I'll never know. But yeah, I'd seen it all before at Avalon and Albion Park.

Not as close to the runway as Avalon, and all the buildings in the background kinda ruin the photos.

I'm rather sunburnt, but I don't care. It was worth it.
Old 18th September 2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt R View Post
I'm rather sunburnt, but I don't care. It was worth it.
OH SAME HERE!

My skin is so red. Its going to hurt alot trying to get to sleep tonight.
I had an OK day. I thought that the organisation of the event needs major improvement. No matter what or when, the lines for the food were at least an hour long. No shade. No drinks carts. The line to get on the shuttle bus to get back over to the other side of the runway was about 1.5 hours long. We wanted to leave early, but we were trapped, with no food/shade or means to leave. Nothing ran on time and the totally just gave up on getting the C-130 out flying.

We finally get to the car and spend the next 90 minutes parked trying to get out. The planes were great. Mostly everything else sucked

Might give it a miss next time. WOI is alot easier.
Old 18th September 2010, 09:09 PM

I think the site and sound of 3 F111's flying in formation was worth me driving 200km. In all previous air shows I had been to, only one F111 was the usual fare but three was something special, particularly when I doubt I will ever see them flying again.
The Super Hornets are noisier than the classic Hornet probably due to the larger engines? very impressive particularly the low pass over the crowd.
Yes the organisation was a bit of a disappointment, with inadequate food and drink outlets, but overall it was still a great day.
Old 18th September 2010, 10:04 PM

Have to agree, the flying display was awesome. Static display - forget it, nothing open at all.
The day was great but beware...It took an hour to get from one side of the airfield to the other and then another hour to get out of the car park. It took 40 minutes to get food and it was tolerable to eat and expensive to boot.
The flying schedule was running late and some events were obviously cancelled but the F111 and F18 made up for it.
No shade as has been mentioned - and it was disappointing to not see more availability of refreshments as it was a hot and glaring day.

My advice would be to pack a family picnic and head to the car park ( as plenty of others did). There's nothing worthwhile on the air base side to rave on about.

What a waste of the yanks sending the tanker down for it to just sit there. Blue Angels or sime of that stealthy stuff would be nice.

Last edited by Scott L.; 18th September 2010 at 10:11 PM.
Old 18th September 2010, 10:26 PM

The F111's and F18's were superb and I was also greatly impressed with the maneuverability of the AP3C Orion. Aside from that our experience of the day almost exactly mirrored that of Mike S. We were feeling pretty happy about bringing our own food and drinks after seeing long long lines at every food vendor from about 9:30 onwards. The 90 mins it took to get out of the carpark, whilst infuriating is an improvement on the two hours it took us 25 years ago Would still recommend it to the average member of the public.
Old 19th September 2010, 01:09 AM

I have to Agree the F111's and F18s were great, I also didn't mind the roulettes. It took you 90min to get out ??? i won't tell you how long it took me to get out then

Last edited by Ossian N; 19th September 2010 at 01:09 AM. Reason: grammer