Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th August 2011, 12:45 PM

Ash,

Australian Aviation July Issue- grab it- excellent interview with JB.

Andrew- agree with Justin, but alot more then those routes- potentially more Asian routes- even nz us services and alot of domestics excl capital city milk runs.
Old 4th August 2011, 12:51 PM

Qantas of the future:

MEL-SYD-BNE-PER
MEL-SYD-LAX
MEL-SYD-LHR

Sad times, but times are changing. I don't blame QF for this, they have a premium product (yes we know it has shortfalls) but people want to fly Tiger and Jetstar.

People want to pay a bus fare for an airfare, and are happy to have cheap labour to support these cheap prices
Old 4th August 2011, 01:14 PM

Just hope that with this whole pilot union tension QF does not cave in and give them the Qantas Club access they want. I mean it will make an already overcrowded lounge even worse! Why don't we just give the poor dears Charimans lounge access, seems to be plenty of room there and maybe they might learn a thing or two there from a few business execs about offshoring and its necessity to ensure the long term survival of a company particulalrly one as volatile as an airline. Probably going to get blasted here but it is a valid point why should crew be given lounge access espcially when travelling on discounted staff tickets. Airline lounges should only be reserved for an airlines customers that are most loyal or pay a premium to fly.

Last edited by Jacob P; 4th August 2011 at 01:22 PM.
Old 4th August 2011, 01:32 PM

I agree with your point Jacob ... it's just it comes over like a class elitist segregation sounding opinion.

"Airline lounges should only be reserved for an airlines customers that are most loyal or pay a premium to fly. " - Pay a premium, yes - Loyalty, No ... Loyalty doesn't pay the bills if all you're spending to fly on the airline is $30 per week for a cheapie airfare.

Last edited by Lee G; 4th August 2011 at 01:38 PM.
Old 4th August 2011, 01:37 PM

I think Qantas is far more likely to pull out of Sydney-Melbourne/Brisbane before they start touching the likes of Karratha/Mount Isa/Newman/Kalgoorlie

Looking at their domestic network there isn't much left to cut that hasn't already been handed over. Cairns is the obvious candidate to give away but even then Qantas would probably want to keep a daily flight or two to Brisbane for premium, high end leisure and govenment travellers. Everything else either has high volume premium travellers (SYD/MEL), serves FIFO miners (KGI/ISA), government travel (CBR) or either monopolised or has very little competition (DRW/ASP)
Old 4th August 2011, 01:56 PM

Jason - You can't Jetstar mining routes
Old 4th August 2011, 03:27 PM

And that was exactly the point of my previous post
Old 4th August 2011, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob P View Post
Just hope that with this whole pilot union tension QF does not cave in and give them the Qantas Club access they want. I mean it will make an already overcrowded lounge even worse! Why don't we just give the poor dears Charimans lounge access, seems to be plenty of room there and maybe they might learn a thing or two there from a few business execs about offshoring and its necessity to ensure the long term survival of a company particulalrly one as volatile as an airline. Probably going to get blasted here but it is a valid point why should crew be given lounge access espcially when travelling on discounted staff tickets. Airline lounges should only be reserved for an airlines customers that are most loyal or pay a premium to fly.
Jacob,
If your theory is correct about offshoring to keep an Australian company afloat then god help Australia.
What do you do? Bet I can find someone who will do it cheaper in another country.
So there instantly you've lost your job. The government has lost tax, both income and from the company.
When you are old and didn't have a job ( because it was off shored) who is going to pay for your care?
Government has no money. You have no super or cash saved. Because of no job.
So I see massive mistakes in this.
Why can't Aussies compete?
We are the best in the world in a lot of things.
Why offshore them?
Todd.
Old 4th August 2011, 03:55 PM

Hi Todd,

In relation to your comment about my job,
Doubt the government would risk offshoring their own jobs!
Also when i'm old and no longer employed I will have enough fund saved from sound financial planning that I won't have to bruden the government with the cost of my healthcare. I'm not againjst aussie competition its just that from what I can see there is a lot of talk about aussies doing this and that but at the end of the day nothing ever happens. Would love to know what we are so good at here apart from exporting resources and a few tourists that come around. When you think about it there really is not that much here and nothing ever happens becasue the moment someone comes up with an idea for something it is immediatly "shutdown" by a group of perpetual whingers. But I digress, many airlines in the world conduct offshoring for various aspects of their operation and at the end of the day if an airline wants to be competetive and profitable at the same time, the only way it can do this is by minimising its cost base which can only be achieved through offshroing as there are only so many costs that can be effectivly reduced locally. whether you like it or not offshoring is going to gain a greater presence within Australia over the coming years and not just in the aviation sector but also in areas such as agriculture.
Old 4th August 2011, 04:04 PM

Simple Todd, because in many area's our lifestyle has priced us out of the market. If a business was providing a domestic service to Australian's only then of course this higher cost can be covered by our higher wages (hence why domestic still does ok), however once you move into an international market where you are competing with people on a lower cost base you are basicly screwed if you don't join em.