Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th March 2015, 10:41 AM

Thanks Nigel

Being in Tassie I appreciate you and others posting photos etc.

especially for those who are unable to attend but are interested.

Much appreciated everybody
Old 8th March 2015, 11:12 AM
Prolific Member

try this youtube search

https://www.youtube.com/results?filt...h_query=vh-oja
Old 8th March 2015, 12:04 PM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South

What a great morning for the final flight of Qantas Boeing 747-400 VH-OJA, departing Sydney around 07:30 as QF7474 and arriving at Illawarra Regional
Airport just after 07:47 local time - a very short 15 minute hop for its final service. As I approached the airport, the overpasses on the freeway were crowded
with spectators, and around the airport itself there was a huge turnout. I spoke to two people who had travelled down from the Blue Mountains, and I imagine
there were more from further afield.

After the touchdown there was spontaneous applause from the crowd, and again after VH-OJA had been pushed back to the HARS hanger and the APU shut
down for the last time.

Nice to be at Illawarra Regional Airport for a moment in history, as a "Queen Of The Skies" finished her 25 year of service with Qantas. Congratulations to the
pilots, it would have to have been the perfect landing.

On final approach over a massive crowd

The final touchdown for VH-OJA

Only idle reverse thrust applied, as the outer engines were over the grass

Three engines will be removed and returned to active service with Qantas, however as other engines reach the use by date, they will be fitted to complete
the aircraft again.

Tender 1 from Sydney Airport was on hand to provide ARFF services should they be needed - the tug was being shipped from Queensland to Melbourne and
HARS asked if they could use it for a month to shift the aircraft to its final resting place

VH-OJA was shut down on the runway and pushed back to a temporary position outside the HARS hanger

A raised hat salute by the Tech Crew for a great aircraft - you can see the special mat placed on the apron to protect it. The final resting place is on a newly
laid concrete apron behind this position

Good bye to Qantas service - come and see me at Illawarra Regional Airport

After the media interviews, the Tech Crew walked back to the crowd gathered outside the HARS hanger

When everything was over, Tender 1 sprayed its water load so it could go on a truck for transport back to Sydney Airport

Excitement and smiling faces all around for the pilots

Last edited by Grahame Hutchison; 8th March 2015 at 03:53 PM.
Old 8th March 2015, 12:23 PM

Thanks very much for posting these photos for those of us who couldn't make it down there today Grahame.

Congrats to the flight crew for a safe landing too!

Looking forward to visiting OJA some time soon!
Old 8th March 2015, 12:33 PM

Thanks Grahame & everyone for your photos & videos! I'm sure you all had a great time and, while part of me definitely wanted to be there, the other part couldn't face another stupid-o'clock rise & 3 hour drive. You've made me feel like I was there, so thank you!
Old 8th March 2015, 12:52 PM

I like the reaction of the police officers in that YouTube clip.. I reckon they thought it was a pretty awesome sight!
Old 8th March 2015, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George G View Post
I like the reaction of the police officers in that YouTube clip.. I reckon they thought it was a pretty awesome sight!
Is this the one with his hat flying off?

Btw excellent selection of pics Grahame and Nigel. Many thanks for posting.
Old 8th March 2015, 01:52 PM
Prolific Member

from abc news

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-0...ongong/6288748

Bottom shot with crew member with head out cockpit hatch.
Old 8th March 2015, 02:31 PM

Great photos and videos from everyone, thanks for sharing with those of us unable to attend.

Whilst this aircraft still holds (I think) the record for the longest 747 flight (the 1989 delivery flight from LHR to SYD), I got thinking whether this flight at just 48 miles might have been the shortest flight by a 747.

But probably not as SAA have delivered both a 747SP and a 742 to Rand Airport, presumably from JNB which is a mere 9 miles away - though I suspect that the distance actually flown was somewhat more.
Old 8th March 2015, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Cleary View Post
Great photos and videos from everyone, thanks for sharing with those of us unable to attend.

Whilst this aircraft still holds (I think) the record for the longest 747 flight (the 1989 delivery flight from LHR to SYD), I got thinking whether this flight at just 48 miles might have been the shortest flight by a 747.

But probably not as SAA have delivered both a 747SP and a 742 to Rand Airport, presumably from JNB which is a mere 9 miles away - though I suspect that the distance actually flown was somewhat more.
I sure QF would have flown a number of 747,s between MEL and AVV over the years.