Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th May 2011, 10:35 AM

Default Travelling with cabin only baggage

Just a quick question .... If I travel with cabin bags only , and either have a web check in and print out my boarding pass at home , or do a kiosk check in at the airport and get my boarding pass , at which point is my cabin baggage checked for weight ??? ...

Dave C
Old 9th May 2011, 11:17 AM
Administrator

As far as I'm aware carry on normally isn't checked for weight, normally the staff at the gate / FA's will eyeball your carry on and if they deem it to be too big / too heavy they'll have it sent down to the hold. There are also the little testing stations near the kiosks to make sure your bag fits within the dimensions for carry on. This is the case with QF anyway, can't comment on the LCC's but assume its the same story.

Jetphotos.net Shots
Airliners.net Shots
Old 9th May 2011, 12:02 PM
AaronBradford

I can't remember the last time my cabin baggage was weighed
Old 9th May 2011, 01:19 PM

The only time my cabin baggage was weighed was when I checked in at the airport, back in the days when there were check in staff behind their desks.
Old 9th May 2011, 02:18 PM

I wish the airlines would get serious about the amount of cabin baggage that people take on aircraft. I flew Syd - Bris return over the weekend and it's really obvious they (VA at least) don't check at all. The size and number of bags taken on board as carry on, especially by some businessmen, is just amazing. I saw one guy get on with a wheelie bag and another stacked on top, as well as a laptop bag and a coat!! Not a word was said! Not to mention the young bloke who was allowed on with one of those REALLY big sports bags, the ones with the rounded ends. This one would have been close to a metre long and the cabin attendant actually helped move other people's bags so he could fit it in the locker!!! Jetstar and Qantas are the same....I've flown them both recently and nothing gets said.
It's about time they started enforcing their own rules!!
Old 9th May 2011, 02:50 PM
AaronBradford

It seems a bit blasé to me - especially given that weight averages are calculated based on what they allow, usually 7kg. Obviously more of an issue with the smaller aircraft, but still ...
Old 9th May 2011, 03:56 PM
Administrator

More staff at the bag drop counters would be one solution I think, make it easier to check in baggage its more likely people will check rather than try carry on. On my most recent flight BNE-CNS-BNE on QF, there was a 25 minute wait in line to drop off bags in BNE and 55 minutes in CNS (where QF don't have quick check kiosks). CNS was pretty bad, QF had 4 flights departing within half an hour of each other and only 2 staff checking in Y class Pax. In the modern day of budget flying where people seem to struggle to turn up 30 minutes before a flight as it is, it seems unlikely that anyone would choose to wait in a massive line if they can get away with shoving it into an overhead locker, not to mention that with LCC's you're rewarded with a cheaper fare by only bringing carry on luggage.

Jetphotos.net Shots
Airliners.net Shots
Old 9th May 2011, 04:20 PM

I believe the whole process of carry-on is out of control.

On my recent flights (one in J) it is unbelievable what pax think they can bring onboard and store overhead.

They have SO much stuff.

I have learnt to board early (I travel with an airline issued cabin bag) and then THEY can shuffle all they like and sadly they need to, (so do the cabin crew) to make it all fit.

I still think it's wrong. It is SO inconsiderate to others in your area, they are allowed space also.

Will dismount my high horse now.

Kind regards,

Geoff
Old 10th May 2011, 09:04 AM

Not just airline travel but AFL footy as well.

You would hardly believe the large heavy bags that people are unable to lift over the turnstile to get into the footy.

The game only lasts 2 hours but sometimes you wonder whether fellow fans are there for a 2 day stay.
Old 10th May 2011, 09:24 PM

Thanks all for your answers to my question ..,

Dave C