Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th May 2011, 11:37 AM

Looked better up close, i arrived on DJ 825 - rather appropriately on "Bretts Jet" this morning at 10am as they were moving the A330 down next to the 737. Not sure if it was deliberate but when were taxing to terminal we went right down to end of 07/25 and then waited for the A330 to go past. At that point we got a really good view of the new colors and i thought it looked good. There were various staff lined up beside the red carpet awaiting the airbus. My invitation must have got lost in the Post!!!

Only had the Ipod so photos are very ordinary
Old 4th May 2011, 12:02 PM

Website has been updated and has walk through of "Coast-to-Coast" A330.

Strangely the new livery on the website seems to show the new planes as being silver (a-la VS) rather than white, looks much better but I don't understand why they are silver unless the white is temporary....very weird.

Brad
Old 4th May 2011, 12:21 PM

As Virgin is rebranding today:

1. When will the code DJ cease to exist and replaced by VA?
2. Any changes to callsign and IATO Code?
3. With they are antipicating the NZ 4-fare class regime, any announcements when they will launch the new service pattern?
4. EGM required for such changes as I am sure they will have to rename themselves on ASX?
5. Any news they will join an airline alliance, except OneWorld?
6. Any anticipation of a new destination, such as HKG?
7. When will they scrap Velocity for a better FFP?

Cheers

Finally, I hope it is okay, but I made one last snapshot of the now-defuct Virgin Blue website in memory of DJ:

And the new VA Promo video:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/F1CuemkrzFQ

CX138 SYD-HKG
CX101 HKG-SYD

Last edited by Arthur T; 4th May 2011 at 12:29 PM.
Old 4th May 2011, 12:31 PM

I for one actually really like this scheme. It differentiates Virgin from the Jetstar type Low cost carrier /Tiger schemes which are just Bold text and lends itself to a legacy type/new world carrier with italicised large font as others have said.

I dont know what everyone on this board expected but branding is SO much more then just the livery. Virgin although synonomous with the red before, needed to get rid of it to displace that budget feel it had about it- although it still maintains some of those roots, it is long beyond the 3 fleet airline it was in the early 2000's.

I think alot on here expected cheatlines, southern cross flags etc and paint all over, but really nowadays airlines like Virgin atlantic etc are keeping it simple and elegant..
Old 4th May 2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradR View Post
Website has been updated and has walk through of "Coast-to-Coast" A330.

Strangely the new livery on the website seems to show the new planes as being silver (a-la VS) rather than white, looks much better but I don't understand why they are silver unless the white is temporary....very weird.

Brad
Have a look at the TV ad its white.
Old 4th May 2011, 12:38 PM

I agree with most of you that a bit more colour or detailing in the livery would make it look a bit more exciting, but I DO like the bold/huge Virgin logo going up the tail (albeit a little JQ-esque) and I think that will be easily viewable from ground-to-air. It breaks the mould a little bit in regards to what we're used to seeing with Virgin tails.

The one comment I strongly agree with, is from Justin and Matt, that this livery gives off more of a 'legacy' carrier or full-service airline feel - being uncomplicated, simple and clear. The entirely red-jet look (not to mention the .com.au), although instantly identifiable as Virgin Blue, still screamed low-cost carrier in my opinion.

I have a feeling the new livery will grow on a number of members/enthusiasts here, much like the whopping-big new tail of the Qantas roo and the new typeface initially didn't sit well with a lot of people, but over a bit of time has become far more appealing and current to those same minds.

As for that new TVC that's on their YouTube channel, VERY polished and chic! First Virgin Blue/Australia commercial that I will say that about. Must have got quite a good production company in for that. Like the music, the opening shot of that Jag on the harbour bridge, the 'behind-the-scenes' of a new look coming together, and the crew coming together and walking out to the aircraft (they've still kept the 'strutting-bimbos' feel that Virgin is known for, hehe).
Old 4th May 2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Lawrence View Post

As for that new TVC that's on their YouTube channel, VERY polished and chic! First Virgin Blue/Australia commercial that I will say that about. Must have got quite a good production company in for that. Like the music, the opening shot of that Jag on the harbour bridge, the 'behind-the-scenes' of a new look coming together, and the crew coming together and walking out to the aircraft (they've still kept the 'strutting-bimbos' feel that Virgin is known for, hehe).
When the car pulls up outside the termnial there is a Qantas sign in the background
Old 4th May 2011, 12:53 PM

VH-XFB (cable beach) on very short finals...

And some more...

I think it will grow on me... Not yet 100% sure I like it, but as Brendan said, I think it'll grow...

My Flight Diary

My Photos Flickr Images
Old 4th May 2011, 01:20 PM

Excellent shots Bernie, your shots have already made the new livery grow on me a bit after I already said I don't like the livery!
Old 4th May 2011, 01:20 PM

Default Virgin

Now I have seen photos in good light, it not as bad as I first thought, but I will still say it is plain.

My Stuff on the web
http://www.ryanhothersall.net/