Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th May 2011, 04:21 PM

I have heard the same thing, that it will be a portable solution, but again it's all rumours until it is officially announced.

IF a portable solution happens, it's a cheap and nasty solution, but one that can be rolled out very quickly!

What does have me worried is that the new Sky Interior plane does have the new business class and economy class but no room for IFE in the seat.

Seems very likely to me it's going to be a portable solution
Old 8th May 2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
What does have me worried is that the new Sky Interior plane does have the new business class and economy class but no room for IFE in the seat.

Seems very likely to me it's going to be a portable solution
Any overhead screens?

Does this mean the current "foxtel" IFE system on the older B737s are going to be removed as the aircraft are upgraded?
Old 8th May 2011, 11:45 PM

I see that JB in his media statement referred to an alliance with an asian carrier some time later this year. Could this be SQ as part of the sweetener to get the Virgin Australia name?
Old 9th May 2011, 12:37 PM

I pad's vs in seat IFE = massive weight savings = massive fuel savings
Old 9th May 2011, 12:40 PM

True, but makes it like a low cost carrier, cheap and nasty
Old 9th May 2011, 12:40 PM

Default Virgin

I would take a punt at the IFE being iPads.

Never rented one of the digi eplayers, so don't know what they are like.

My Stuff on the web
http://www.ryanhothersall.net/
Old 9th May 2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew M View Post
True, but makes it like a low cost carrier, cheap and nasty
To me, that would be a strange move given their recent initiatives to distance themselves from the LCC's and chase the Legacy market. And you're right Andrew, it would be cheap and nasty.
Old 9th May 2011, 06:43 PM

Firstly I have no idea of what sort of IFE will go in the 737 or Ejet but clearly a few people here just don't understand how dated hard wired fixed screens on the back of seats are for domestic flights where 90% of flights are only 1 - 2 hours. Not to mention how costly they are to install and maintain and the fact that every few years the airlines need to spend more money to update the system.

The weight penalty of having hard wired seat back system on smaller domestic aircraft is far more noticeable then on wide body aircraft and this means more fuel is burnt and with the rising costs of Jet A1 this cost is passed onto you, the passenger buying the ticket. We are in 2011, not 1995 when fixed IFE in seat backs was state of the art stuff. Airlines these days need to think long term on a range of things, including IFE and making use of technology that is available now, but also being able to adapt has technology advances.

Next time your on a flight or in the terminal have a look at how many people have smart phones, IPads etc and it will give you an idea of how todays passengers are embracing 2011 technology rather than 90's technology some on here think is more up market. Long haul is different and currently having a fixed system works best at the moment, but even in the next 5 years with this method will be out of date.

Think out of the box more.

Rant over
Old 9th May 2011, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob R View Post
Firstly I have no idea of what sort of IFE will go in the 737 or Ejet but clearly a few people here just don't understand how dated hard wired fixed screens on the back of seats are for domestic flights where 90% of flights are only 1 - 2 hours. Not to mention how costly they are to install and maintain and the fact that every few years the airlines need to spend more money to update the system.

The weight penalty of having hard wired seat back system on smaller domestic aircraft is far more noticeable then on wide body aircraft and this means more fuel is burnt and with the rising costs of Jet A1 this cost is passed onto you, the passenger buying the ticket. We are in 2011, not 1995 when fixed IFE in seat backs was state of the art stuff. Airlines these days need to think long term on a range of things, including IFE and making use of technology that is available now, but also being able to adapt has technology advances.

Next time your on a flight or in the terminal have a look at how many people have smart phones, IPads etc and it will give you an idea of how todays passengers are embracing 2011 technology rather than 90's technology some on here think is more up market. Long haul is different and currently having a fixed system works best at the moment, but even in the next 5 years with this method will be out of date.

Think out of the box more.

Rant over

I agree, actually
Old 9th May 2011, 07:46 PM

Geez someone took angry pills today..

Given you have said that flights are short... Let's use a iPad type solution.....

MEL-SYD

Given crew would have to wait until about 15 mins after takeoff to start handing them out...

Given crew would have to start packing up about 30 mins before landing...

Would be useful for about 10 mins of the flight..

So a portable solution for MEL-SYD and flights under 90 mins would be pointless

Virgin also don't have the seats that can have the iPad attached to the back of it. Juggling a portable solution on a small tray table is next to impossible.