Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements

Old 25th March 2008, 04:46 PM

Default 'Restricted' Photography Areas at YSSY

Hello all,

I don't get much chance to come from country Qld to Sydney any more to take plane photos, but after a recent 'run-in' at Cairns, I decided to write a nice letter to SACL about where I could take pictures and to let them know of my intentions etc. Got an interesting reply...

It seems that there are now only two 'officially unrestricted' areas from which spotters can take photos. According to SACL, these are from 'Shep's mound' and the International Terminal Observation Deck.

From correspondence received from SACL, if you wish to take photos from any other area around the airport - Qantas Drive, Ross Smith Avenue (GA Apron), Beach, Domestic Terminals 2 and 3 (Virgin/Qantas) - you have to pay a fees of $300+GST per hour and receive permission from SACL to do so. If this isn't done and you take a risk, you will be asked to cease taking photos and asked to move on.

Interested to hear members' thoughts!

You may also like to read my other thread Re: Bankstown Airport.

Damian
Old 25th March 2008, 05:12 PM

love to see how they'd enforce it...

Next Flights:
MEL-HKG-HND-HKG-JFK-HKG-NRT-HKG-MEL/CX
Old 25th March 2008, 05:47 PM
Prolific Member

You could always go through the official channels and do some airside photography...

From www.sydneyairport.com.au
Quote:
Filming and photography – fees
A fee is levied in advance for filming and photography activity undertaken for commercial gain. The full amount of the fee will be notified by SACL after an application is received and before the activity commences. No filming or photography will be permitted until the applicable fee is paid, unless prior arrangements have been made with the Community Affairs Officer. Fees are as follows:
Photography (still) terminal: $300 per hour + gst
Photography (still) airside: $650 + gst first hour, $600 + gst per hour thereafter
Filming terminal: $500 + gst first hour, $450 + gst per hour thereafter
Filming airside: $650 + gst first hour, $600 + gst per hour thereafter

Should specific SACL personnel or services be required to undertake the activity, a further fee may be levied. Depending on location and duration of the activity, an additional fee may also be imposed to cover the additional deployment of security or safety personnel.
Or perhaps you might want to try Newcastle Airport...

From www.newcastleairport.com.au
Quote:
Filming and photography – fees
A fee is levied in advance for filming and photography activity undertaken for commercial gain. The full
amount of the fee will be notified by Newcastle Airport after an application is received and before the activity
commences. No filming or photography will be permitted until the applicable fee is paid, unless piror
arrangements have been made with the Marketing Communications Officer. Fees are as follows:
Photography (still) terminal: $200 each hour (plus GST)
Photography (still) airside: $600 first hour (plus GST), $350 (plus GST) each hour thereafter
Filming terminal: $500 first hour (plus GST), $200 (plus GST) each hour thereafter
Filming airside: $600 first hour (plus GST), $350 (plus GST) each hour thereafter

Should specific Newcastle Airport personal or services be required to undertake the activity, a further fee
may be levied. Depending on location and duration of the activity, an additional fee may also be imposed to
cover the additional deployment of security or safety personnel.

You'll probably get the shots you want, and if they're good enough you can sell them to cover the cost of the airside access!
Old 25th March 2008, 05:57 PM
Prolific Member

I didn't know Macquarie owned Newcastle Airport too...

I placed the Newcastle info there so people could see that charging for photography isn't simply the domain of SACL or Macquarie. It happens all over the place.

But if you're so keen to make sure Macquarie doesn't see any of your dollars, then don't take a cab in Sydney, drive a toll road or fly to or from the airport...chances are you'll be topping up Macquarie's coffers. They seem to have their fingers in more pies than you can poke a stick at, and no amount of complaining is ever going to change that. It's a fact of life, deal with it!
Old 25th March 2008, 06:09 PM

How do you get to Sheps Mound on foot from Qantas Domestic??, its just im making my first ever "Sydney Spotting" trip next week

Old 25th March 2008, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas Mahoney View Post
How do you get to Sheps Mound on foot from Qantas Domestic??, its just im making my first ever "Sydney Spotting" trip next week
"WALK"..Good Luck

Regards
Brian Wilkes
Old 25th March 2008, 08:37 PM

You could catch the Domestic Terminal, long term carpark bus (P Bus) to the long term carpark and wark from there to the mound. Not that far from the carpark. That is what I do when I go to the mound, but I've just got my P's so that will change.
Old 25th March 2008, 08:37 PM

I wonder if that's the real reason for photography not being allowed on the Tarmac tours??

David.M.
Old 25th March 2008, 08:54 PM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Morrell View Post
I wonder if that's the real reason for photography not being allowed on the Tarmac tours??

David.M.
SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!
Old 25th March 2008, 09:03 PM

Default Pics at yssy

They probably use 'security' as an excuse, but this crap is about one thing $$$$.

My Stuff on the web
http://www.ryanhothersall.net/