Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd September 2010, 08:14 PM

Default Trip Report: Sydney to Adelaide - 23/9/10

Hi all

I'm currently relaxing in sunny suburban Adelaide, and had a great flight from Sydney this morning which I'd like to share in my following trip report.

Trip Report - Introduction

For months, now that I'm out of tertiary study and full-time employment, there have been many things in Adelaide and South Australia I've always wanted to see, ranging from heritage theatres in Adelaide, to Paddle Steamers and old steam trains in Port Augusta, to a heap of museums in Port Adelaide.

A trip that was originally going to be three weeks, however some circumstances have arisen recently in my life which needs my attention back home. That's ok, I'm here for two and hired a set of wheels to get me around, because frankly, the public transport here comes across as a foreign language.

Sydney to Adelaide
DJ408 - Virgin Blue
VH-VUU: Boeing 737-800
(Damn aeroplane didn't have Live2Air! Was hoping to watch some intelligent television on Fox8 on the way over)
Seat 18C

Check-in in Sydney (Part 1 of 4)

Caught a train into Domestic this morning. I don't normally catch the train, however it's proven to be much more reliable and cost effective for me, than it is to drive to the airport and pay for long-term parking. Got to the airport at 0700, and by 0715, my bags were checked in (Thank goodness I bought the checked baggage option!) and I was wondering around the terminal looking for some breakfast.

Found some breakfast, at some shop (The one next to Red Rooster), and went with the Big Brekkie option. This was pretty fulfilling, and after munching that all down, I did a walk to the Western End of T2, and photographing planes along the way over to the Eastern End where my flight would be boarding on Gate 32.

DJ408's aircraft, a 737-800, VH-VUU rocked up at about 0820 from somewhere, and after a quick turnaround, we were all lining up to board at 0835. As I was above Row 15, I had the pleasure (And c'mon, as if it isn't!) of walking along the tarmac and boarding the aircraft from the rear.

Got aboard, found my seat, now realising I should have asked for a window seat, and I was essentially surrounded by senior citizens all around me, most of whom were returning from overseas.

Doors closed at 0850, and pretty much by 0857, we were rolling off Runway 16R out of Sydney, and above those unpleasant clouds for the flight to Adelaide!

Now for Part 2!

Last edited by Maikha Ly; 23rd September 2010 at 10:10 PM.
Old 23rd September 2010, 08:16 PM

Part 2 of 4
The Flight

Having departed Sydney at about 0857 off Runway 16R, we were well above the clouds now, and reached our cruising altitude of 40026 ft (12200m) as we were tracking over Cowra, Griffith and through to Mildura.

The 1hr 47min flight didn't appear to sound long, however, initially I was hoping to pay the extra $10 to access Live2Air and indulge in some intelligent television, that being Fox8 Animania (Simpsons, Futurama and most intelligent of all, Family Guy). However.... VH-VUU has no Live2Air! DAMNIT!

So instead, got a pair of complimentary earphones to the audio programming. Not many channels on offer, Pop Music on 1, Some garbage talk show on 2, Radio Serials and some classical on the other channels. Even then, the audio programming was continually resetting itself (I got no idea how it works), as it kept replying the song Gorillaz - On Melancholy Hill, over and over again, a song I particularly liked yet was very frustrating.

As the cart went along, I settled for a can of Coke, with ice, and basically just sat there for the next 30mins.

Got up half way in the flight to stretch my legs, went and took some photos, and when I returned, the elderly couple seated next to me offered the window seat for the arrival into Adelaide, which I very much took up their offer.

At approximately 0940 (CST), we began our descent into Adelaide and the crew started packing up everything readying for this, as we went through the clouds.

(Murray River?)
Old 23rd September 2010, 08:19 PM

Part 3 of 4
Arrival into Adelaide

In no time at all we descended from 40000ft to our final approach to Runway 23 in Adelaide.

Thankfully, having taken up the offer by the couple next to me to sit on the window seat, I was presented with an impressive view of the Adelaide CBD on our side of the aircraft as we were on final approach for the runway!

In the short amount of flights I've done this year, I am always fascinated on the textures and colours that Australian housing create when viewed from above. Different cities have different textures and colours, but they all provide a great insight into the city I'm arriving into.

And in no time at all (1005 CST), we touched down on runway 23, Adelaide. We taxiied around, and held short of runway 12 as a REX SAAB 340 came in to land, and after they did, we followed them to the terminal.

(Have NEVER seen one of these before, an SQ A330)

We made it to the gate, and I was in no rush to get off the plane, so I waited for most people to clear, and was allowed to disembark via the airbridge instead of walking along the tarmac.

Adelaide's Terminal looked pretty open and airy, and looks like some work was done on it before I came along. Was abit of a long walk to the arrivals and baggage claim, though when I got there, I was immediately presented with both my luggage items after their merry-go-round ride on the carousel. (And admittedly, as stupid as it is.... who doesn't have the curiousity of just riding around on one of them? :P )

(My gladstone bag, I checked in as well)

I spent the following hour and a half trying to organise a hire car. Basically, having rung up the 5 colours the night before to get a quote, I was quoted exorborant 4 figure sums for 13 days basic car hire, also accounting that I'm under 25yrs. I didn't bother in the hope that I could get to Adelaide and put off hiring a car until Saturday when I'd really need it.

I headed to the BUDGET stand, they gave me a very good price way below my expectations, and I jumped at the chance. The hour was spent combined with the lady at the counter typing away calculating stuff, and giving me incorrect quotes that were way below what I should pay, and me trying to access the net to transfer money across.

However, all that resolved, I'm now getting around in a nice 5 door, Auto Toyota Yaris. I'm still getting use to the dashboard being in the middle of the car though. Just picture me, getting in the car with glee, doing up the seat-belt and having a confused face when I see an empty space behind the steering wheel. And even more confused when I pop open the hatch behind the wheel anticipating a speed, and it's infact a glovebox!
Old 23rd September 2010, 08:20 PM

Part 4 of 4
Some leisurely photography around Sydney T2

And finally, I'd like to share some of the shots I took while wondering around T2 this morning.

Oh, and I absolutely love the following on the glass of the REX Lounge

On all the times I've flown Virgin Blue, I've always been 100% satisfied with the service, from the moment I check in, to the moment I get on and off the aircraft, and walking through the terminal to get my bags. Will happily choose Virgin Blue for all my domestic travels, although on the way back to Sydney in a fortnight, I have decided to go with Tiger PURELY for the experience and to give them a go.

That is absolutely all for my Sydney to Adelaide trip report. I hope I've been able to entertain you all with my thoughts and interpretations on flying, which still, is a novelty for me.

Thanks, and enjoy!
Old 23rd September 2010, 09:56 PM

great report - really nice pics!
Old 23rd September 2010, 10:41 PM

Default ADL

Well done, great report and pictures.

Compared to Sydney etc, Adelaide is a nice and easy airport to get around.

Hope you enjoy yourself while you are here.

My Stuff on the web
http://www.ryanhothersall.net/
Old 24th September 2010, 08:53 PM

Great stuff Maikha ,did you do a rego log?
Old 25th September 2010, 12:00 AM

Thanks Gentlemen!

Phil, what do you mean by a rego log? Is that writing down the registration of aircraft I've sighted?
Old 25th September 2010, 07:47 PM

Great trip report!

Never leave a hire car rental til arriving at the airport

Always book as far in advance as possible!
Old 27th September 2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew M View Post
Never leave a hire car rental til arriving at the airport

Always book as far in advance as possible!
Thanks Andrew

I'd normally agree wit the above, HOWEVER, when ringing and getting quotes on the website the night before getting to Adelaide, all the quotes were significantly more dearer than when I fronted up to the counters at the airport upon arrival.

Avis, Thrifty and Europcar quoted me (Phone and net) between $1200-$1400 for 13 days car hire for an under 25. My current hire saved me at least $500 from them.