Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th June 2009, 05:29 PM

Default QF8

When did Qantas stop operating QF8?

Also, what flight did the aircraft arrive in LAX as? as far as I know there is no QF7...
Old 19th June 2009, 06:55 PM

it's been stopped for quite a while now, maybe 6 months or more.
The arriving flight was QF149, departing as QF8. Many years ago, there use to be a QF7 that left in the evening, but that was replaced by the 149.
Old 19th June 2009, 10:57 PM

Why did Qantas cancel it? I, obviously incorrectly, thought it was a very popular flight because passengers could almost completely avoid jet lag with the departure/arrival times compared to the QF12/108 red eyes
Old 20th June 2009, 12:05 AM

It was my favourite flight to get back from LAX on. Loads were good at times but the lack of connections this end due to the time of arrival meant it suffered a little. QF007 was always my favourite to get to LAX as well due to the later arrival time. Guess I'll have to go from AKL now on QF025 !
Old 20th June 2009, 01:10 AM

Mainly qantas needed to axe a SYD-LA service, and the 107 and 11 were the best slotted timed flights for both departures from SYD and arrivals in the morning into SYD. Also, as James mentioned, the loads were lighter on the QF8 than if they axed the 11/12. The 107/108 was always staying as it linked onto JFK.
Old 20th June 2009, 07:21 AM

It was cancelled from August last year but made official later that year. With the A380 coming on board, it basically took the passengers and the cargo and combined it with the existing services.

It was great for cargo and great for passengers because of the timing and the loads. I always loved that flight.......