Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 3rd February 2009, 09:31 AM

Are there any updates on the Radar field and if it's accessable, or what "no easy access" means?
Old 3rd February 2009, 09:52 AM
YSSY Forum Administrator

'No easy access' means that the only real access into the Radar Field is through the Gate of a Construction Site. Whereby this is technically trespassing!!

Whilst the area currently lacks sign's similar to 'No Entry' or 'Construction Site' or 'Authorised Vehicles Only', common sense tells me it's certainly not a general public "Spotting Area" as such.

I visited the area last weekend for a short period of time to assess its viability, however I do not recommend the visit. And yes, snakes could very well be a problem considering the long overgrown grass on the hill beyond the Construction Site.

The Spotting Weekend for example, will not promote the area and therefore recommends the group sticks together at the Mound in the Morning and then the 34L Beach Car Park in the afternoon.
Old 10th July 2009, 03:35 PM

Hi is there any update on this I had a friend go out there last week and said it was open again..

Can some one please confirm if you can get out to the Radar mound..
Old 10th July 2009, 03:53 PM

Yes it is possible to get there via the construction zone (at least it was a couple of weeks ago), but according to the AFP it is private property and you may be asked/told to leave. Also, ensure mobile phones are off as you are quite close to the ILS equipment (this is what I've been told, it's not first hand) and it can evidently interfere.
Old 10th July 2009, 04:06 PM

Can't wait for Nige to fire up on this thread.
Old 10th July 2009, 04:44 PM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South

Can't wait for an aerial photograph of the Radar Field from Nigel.
Old 10th July 2009, 05:14 PM

Haaaa Haaa Haaaa ! Nice one Grahame!
Old 10th July 2009, 07:01 PM
Prolific Member

I'd suggest you all refer to Kurts post #32. Nothing has changed.

Just for you Lee...

There are signs at the start of the road off Foreshore Drive that say it's a restricted parking area. One of these days there'll be a spotters car get towed for illegally parking and there'll be a great big whinge on this forum from the fool who parked there complaining that they've had to pay a fine to get their car back, all the while claiming innocence (more likely arrogance) about the fact that they were there without authority and that 'I didn't know I couldn't park here'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Forwood
Yes it is possible to get there via the construction zone
That's right. It's a construction zone. Don't enter!
You wouldn't go just go driving onto the Desalination plant construction site to take photos of aircraft on approach, so why do it anywhere else where it's obvious and common sense you shouldn't enter?

Quote:
according to the AFP it is private property
Bingo! So best to stay out.

The bottom line is, the area is earmarked for future developments (possibly new corporate apron) and is currently being used for already active construction projects. It also has equipment and facilities that I'm sure the owners wouldn't want unwanted 'guests' hanging around.
Personally I can't see this area ever being opened up like it was in years gone past, so you're best avoiding it in case you or your car is towed away.

Grahame, I'm yet to see a rainbow at this particular location on my shift, so I strongly suggest you see Google maps for the aerial photograph. It may be a couple of years old, but you can still see it's a construction compound in there.
Old 10th July 2009, 07:19 PM

thanks...
Old 17th August 2009, 12:48 AM

Quote:

SOMETIMES not even billionaires get their way.

Take Lang Walker, the property mogul whose plans for a 23-metre-high hangar to house two large corporate jets at Sydney Airport have been knocked back.

The Federal Government's air traffic controller, Airservices Australia, has ruled that the proposed hangar - about the size of the buildings used by Qantas for maintenance on its passenger jets near the domestic terminal - could interfere with navigation equipment.

Mr Walker, the 12th richest Australian and who has been chartering corporate jets since selling his Falcon 900 in 2007, had wanted to operate the hangar as a ''commercial operation'', leasing space to businessmen, including the shopping-centre billionaire Frank Lowy.

The property developer believes Sydney Airport is dogged by a lack of private hangars for corporate jets. This has become more apparent since the Lowys - who own two Global Express jets, a Challenger 604 and an ultra-long-range Bombardier Global Express - had to tear down their hangar more than a year ago to make room for the double-decker A380 superjumbos.

The hangar had been proposed for the southern side of the east-west runway, adjacent to General Holmes Drive between the airport's fire station and the control tower.

The site is one of the most critical parts of the airport because it is close to navigation equipment.

It is also near where the controversial $200 million shopping and cinema complex scuttled by the Federal Government in 2006 was to be built.

The Herald understands the proposal had been going backwards and forwards between Sydney Airport and AirServices Australia for months.

But AirServices Australia rejected the proposal because the hangar could interfere with navigation equipment such as the airport's radar and equipment which allows incoming aircraft to measure how far they are from the runways.

''The proposal in the current form has been assessed by Airservices as having an adverse impact on navigation aids, including our precision runway monitor,'' a spokesman said.

A spokesman for Mr Walker said the airport needed more private hangar space and the businessman was ''very keen'' to discuss alternative sites.

''At this point the application is dead because Airservices knocked it back. [But] there does seem to be a need for more hangar facilities out at the airport,'' he said.
http://business.smh.com.au/business/...0816-embk.html

Maybe we can give Mr Walker some support - if he puts up a spotters lounge on the rooftop.