Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th August 2008, 09:48 PM

Agreed Greg, but why when the airlines were forced to change the way they advertised airfares, to one single all inclusive fare, are they managing to get around it now with all these 'extras'?

It's rubbish if you ask me. I've always been happy to travel Virgin, but now with this extra charge for taking a bag (sorry if I wanted a few changes of clothes), I think I'll be making the majority of my bookings with Qantas. No extra charges for taking a bag, I get a meal, and a wider network.

Just my personal opinion.

Mick
Old 17th August 2008, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick F View Post
Agreed Greg, but why when the airlines were forced to change the way they advertised airfares, to one single all inclusive fare, are they managing to get around it now with all these 'extras'?
You've answered your own question... because these are "extras". Taxes are not optional extras... which is why they have to be part of the all inclusive fare.
Old 17th August 2008, 09:56 PM

Slightly off topic but Virgin - Low Cost airline of the year (Australia/Pacific)

How the heck is DJ a 'true' LCC?

Premium Economy
Live SAT tv
The Lounge
Connecting Baggage
the list can go on......

what Virgin Blue are today is Qantas.... without the 'included' meal

Just my thoughts.......
Old 17th August 2008, 10:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg F View Post
Slightly off topic but Virgin - Low Cost airline of the year (Australia/Pacific)

Premium Economy
Live SAT tv
The Lounge
Connecting Baggage
the list can go on......

what Virgin Blue are today is Qantas.... without the 'included' meal

Just my thoughts.......

I dont think people fully understand what Virgin Blue has been forced to become.

When Virgin Blue started out it was purely a LCC point to point airline and was never intended to be anything more than that. AN and QF are the major players in the market at the time. AN collapases and suddenely VB is the second largest carrier in Australia, Virgin Blue had to quickly evolve as QF was in a position to gobble up the whole marketshare, they have had to match QF product wise whilst trying to also maintain being a LCC, hence why the term 'New World Carrier' is now used rather than a LCC.
Old 17th August 2008, 11:20 PM

Tiger has been doing this for ages, since May iirc too...
Old 18th August 2008, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg F View Post
Very True Greg. An also apologies for straying a little off topic.

VB, under their own admission are not a true LCC, instead they are a value based airline, or the term they prefer, "new world carrier".

Essentially it's somewhere between low cost and full service. It's been a gamble, one which cannot really be judged for a few years yet. It's also a style that is constantly evolving. These baggage charges are a prime example of that. Still I'm sure, it's quite widely admitted internally, that the product as a whole needs a more refined direction. Again this will happen with the evolution of the company. I think that's why VB are struggling to find an owner.

Nevertheless, the airline is embarking on a major expansion plan with new destinations being added both domestically and overseas. V Australia is also pressing forward full steam ahead. Investor confidence is up on this advancement and this can be seen by the rise of the share price in recent weeks.

As far as the award. Well there is no 'new world carrier' category but VB would certainly be more LCC than full service to the regular punter.

As a test, ask any of your non aviation friends if Virgin serve food onboard for free? Compared to any of the service additions you mentioned above and I'm sure you will find hardly any know of the PE, Con Bags, LiveTV, Lounge etc.

Marty,

Virgin Blue was never 'forced' to become anything. It's a business at the end of the day. They take carefully selected risks to grow their business. One of those was the expansion you describe.
Old 18th August 2008, 12:19 AM

Default smelly pax!

Quote:
It's rubbish if you ask me. I've always been happy to travel Virgin, but now with this extra charge for taking a bag (sorry if I wanted a few changes of clothes), I think I'll be making the majority of my bookings with Qantas. No extra charges for taking a bag, I get a meal, and a wider network.
Now we will know which pax can afford to take clothes and the pax that can't. Just smell them!!

David.M.
Old 18th August 2008, 02:35 AM

E 170 has been painted on the tarmac down virgin blue end.
Old 18th August 2008, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenden S View Post
E 170 has been painted on the tarmac down virgin blue end.
Huh?
Old 18th August 2008, 08:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radi K View Post

Marty,

Virgin Blue was never 'forced' to become anything. It's a business at the end of the day. They take carefully selected risks to grow their business. One of those was the expansion you describe.
Maybe 'forced' is the wrong word, but the airline had to take the direction it did or as I said QF had the potential to gobble up the whole marketshare AN had left behind.