Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th August 2008, 11:41 AM
Banned

Default Virgin slugs flyers with new baggage charge

Quote:
A MAJOR airline will charge passengers $20 if they fail to pay new baggage fees before they get to the airport, from tomorrow.

Virgin Blue customers on discount fares will pay a minimum of $8 for checked luggage for each one-way flight.

But passengers who fail to pay the charge before they reach departures will be forced to pay $20 at the check-in desk - 2 1/2 times that paid by customers online or over the phone.

They could then still have to pay another $8 for every kilogram over the 23kg maximum allowance.

A spokeswoman for Virgin Blue said the $20 fee was an "incentive" for people to pay online, adding it would be easy for customers to include it when they booked.

The new charges are part of a restructuring plan to offset higher fuel prices without increasing the cost of fares.

Virgin Blue also has introduced new GO! discount fares for budget travellers and will offer exemptions for families with infant equipment and disabled passengers.

But last night consumer group Choice warned some customers would still get stung.

"How do you know how much your luggage weighs before you get there?" spokesman Christopher Zinn asked.

"It should be very clearly signposted to people so they can avoid the charge because this is not a system people are used to in Australia."

The spokeswoman for Virgin Blue said most passengers would pay $8 and could estimate the weight of their luggage at home.

"It will be very, very easy to make the decision about their baggage when they are booking," she said.

Qantas also has announced plans to address rising costs, including the loss of 1500 jobs and fewer flights on some of its routes.
News.com.au
Old 17th August 2008, 12:43 PM

Does this new charge apply to tickets already booked and paid for ?

As for estimating the weight of luggage at home, I don't have any scales and would just be guessing.

The new charge may not increase the "fare" but certainly increases the cost of "flying" and there's no way Virgin can deny that.
Old 17th August 2008, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby C View Post
Does this new charge apply to tickets already booked and paid for ?

The new charge may not increase the "fare" but certainly increases the cost of "flying" and there's no way Virgin can deny that.
It's for fares booked from tomo and flying after 1 Sep. So no.

There is a new GO Fare which is down around $20 on the previous Blue Saver fare. So your actually winner if all you pay is $8. Even you travel without bags, even better.

Also, the limit is now 23kg, not the previous 20kg.

All these measures were announced on 18 July to the ASX, so nothing new.

The extra security measures for baggage, now means that a bag costs more than a person to get from a to b.

P.S. Bob, in brighter news for you, you might see a few ZP* rego’s your way soon
Old 17th August 2008, 02:22 PM

and why are they bringing in this charge? is it due to oil costs because oil has fallen considerably in the last 3 weeks.

Next Flights:
MEL-HKG-HND-HKG-JFK-HKG-NRT-HKG-MEL/CX
Old 17th August 2008, 02:29 PM

Thanks Radi - I hope to get in a few days spotting in Sydney and other real airports as Perth can be a bit quiet at times.
Old 17th August 2008, 02:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montague S View Post
and why are they bringing in this charge? is it due to oil costs because oil has fallen considerably in the last 3 weeks.
Oil costs, it is old news it was announced 3-4 weeks ago.
Old 17th August 2008, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montague S View Post
No it is all about hiding the real costs of flying. Over here in Europe all the LLC's do it. It makes the fares look cheaper than what they really are. It gets under my skin as I reckon the fare should be the fare, factoring everything in all at once. The fuel surcharges, baggage charges etc should just be included in one price called "the fare"
Old 17th August 2008, 06:06 PM

A couple of years ago, airlines were told they had to show their fares as the fare + any other costs/taxes that went along with it. Rather than advertising the fare, then the poor punter finding they've also picked up about $40 worth of extra charges/fee's. I remember that was an ACCC ruling.

Why, all of a sudden, can Virgin find a way around this? Double standards?

Mick
Old 17th August 2008, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick F View Post
Why, all of a sudden, can Virgin find a way around this? Double standards?

Mick
Jetstar has been doing it for months with their Jetsaver Light Fares.
Old 17th August 2008, 09:41 PM

JetSaver Light fares Rock!

I often travel and am only away for a couple of days, so carry on luggage is awesome! I check in online and go straight to the gate! I love it!

One of my pet hates is standing in queues!

So I think its an awesome idea having it cheaper if you only take carry on bags.

having checked bags is like upsizing a meal and asking for sauce, you pay EXTRA for it.

And from what I have heard from my dad people do try and scam the system with the Jetsaver Light fares, 'i didn't know it was carry on bags only!'
RUBBISH it tells you several times during the booking, ensuring you click YES I agree..... and the same when checking in online...

Australians dont seem to like change
But I think airfares in Australia are so much better than 5-10 years ago...
Only pay for what you want/use