Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th October 2010, 07:45 PM

Default 34L USA/Canada bound departures

Hi all,

Note that UA/QF 744 and A380 aircraft bound for USA departing on 34L track out on runway heading and then make right turn out over Northern Beaches way on departure. However non 744/A380 aircraft such as AC777, DL777 and VA777 all do the standard left turn @ 500ft I think it is, and track out over western Sydney before eventually turning and heading back East.

Something I have wondered for years but never got around to asking. Please explain.

Cheers,

TK
Old 10th October 2010, 08:42 PM

Now you mention it, a QF 744 departed off 34L last Sunday and actually requested a "right turn as soon as possible" - which it took as you describe...

I thought, at the time, that the fact that this was requested by the flight crew after take-off rather than instructed by ATC on clearance was a little strange...
Old 10th October 2010, 11:48 PM

I think you describe the fact that the B777's fly via the Richmond SID (turn @ 1500ft), out to 12NM from YSSY then turn towards track.

The 744's and A380 would fly the Sydney Radar Departure, which is normally runway heading then a turn subject to traffic.

A driver will be able to confirm, but the 747, close to MTOW can't achieve the climb gradient required for the RIC SID, thus they fly the SYD 1 SID.

The turn towards RIC is due to noise but also brings into the fray more obstacles on the track which requires a greater rate of climb. Something which the 747/A380 evidently is unable to do.

Happy to corrected!
Old 11th October 2010, 01:51 AM

My understanding was the same as Radi - to do with acceptability of the SID (Standard Instrument Departure)

The usual departure off 34L to the east is the Richmond 2 and it has a minimum required climb gradient of 5.6% to 2500ft. (~1000ft/min at V2 +10)

I understood that some of the transatlantic heavies were not able to achieve this climb rate and were therefore given the Sydney 3 which has a minimum climb gradient of 3.3% (~600ft/min at V2+10)

Matt
Old 11th October 2010, 08:08 AM

Correct gentlemen.The climb gradient is the reason that some heavies 'require a right turn' of 34L rather than fly the Richmond 2 Radar SID.Those that cannot accept the SID fly runway heading on the Sydney 3 radar departure.The earliest turn for these aircraft is once establshed north of the harbour/Parramatta River for noise abatement.
Regards