Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11th August 2008, 12:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Bramwell View Post
Without making this into a slanging match, if you look at the financials, you will see that AN were making a nice little profit later in 98/99 [or thereabouts] in the Business plan.

Just a year after AirNZ brought the other 50% it all went ****e? go figure
Agree, I hope this doesnt turn into a slanging match either as I would like to see this topic discussed further, Ive spoken with alot of ex ansett employes at work and that where I came up with those three points being the key to the demise of Ansett.

I still think in addition to that QF and CASA had alot to do with it also. I would like to hear peoples thoughts on those two parties involvement.
Old 11th August 2008, 12:58 PM

Ansett is dead and burried move on, life too short to worry about such old, and now irrelevant, history

Bnjo
Old 11th August 2008, 03:25 PM

The B747-300 INJ was known as Fish Fingers
Old 11th August 2008, 03:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Zweck View Post
The B747-300 INJ was known as Fish Fingers
LOL 'Honey Im just battering the fish'
Old 11th August 2008, 03:34 PM

It was a shame what happened with the grounding of the 767 fleet, I think from memory it was to do with stress fractures/cracking?
Old 11th August 2008, 03:54 PM

Yes, it was stress cracking somehwere around the engine mounts as I recall. Others may know more about this than I do.

I also feel that part of Ansett's issues was their flight schedules and rostering. At the time I would regularly take a flight from ADL to BNE that went via MEL. The ADL-MEL sector would be packed but then the MEL-BNE sector had maybe 50 people at the most in an A320 or 737. It seemed like they were flying partially loaded aircraft at a loss.

Additonally, AN were getting a bit behind in the technology too. AN would take up to two weeks to post points for flights to frequent flyers, where as QF would do it in no more than a couple of hours.

Just my AUD $0.02 worth.
Old 11th August 2008, 04:15 PM

Well yes, stress fractures and cracking - but the fact that AN hadn't carried out the required checks within the required timeframe didn't help their case either.....

But yes, AN service was better than QF at the time, and that's how they attempted to distinguish themselves.

Kent
Old 11th August 2008, 04:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickN View Post
It was a shame what happened with the grounding of the 767 fleet, I think from memory it was to do with stress fractures/cracking?
From what I have read Boeing put out a maintenace bulletin asking B762 operators to check for cracks in the engine pylons between certain build numbers, I think Ansett had only two aircraft that fell in the build numbers that Boeing requested that needed to be checked, now this is where I think CASA played its role in the demise of Ansett, they grounded the whole of Ansetts B762 fleet.

I think its highly sus that at the time Jon Anderson was the Transport minister and his wife was on the QF board.
Old 11th August 2008, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty H View Post
From what I have read Boeing put out a maintenace bulletin asking B762 operators to check for cracks in the engine pylons between certain build numbers, I think Ansett had only two aircraft that fell in the build numbers that Boeing requested that needed to be checked, now this is where I think CASA played its role in the demise of Ansett, they grounded the whole of Ansetts B762 fleet.

I think its highly sus that at the time Jon Anderson was the Transport minister and his wife was on the QF board.
Although I agree CASA and more importantly the media through their scare campaign (like what they are going with Qantas now) played a major part in their demise I doubt their was any political interferance as suggested.

There is another factor to the demise of Ansett that hasn't been mentioned, and that is the role that Virgin Blue and Impulse played. We need to remember Ansett's loads were dropping with the introduction of these two airlines, but Ansett didn't have the cash to respond properly.

So we could put the demise down to multiple factors over many years, all starting when Peter Ables and Murdoch brought Ansett. Air NZ's actions were the nail in the coffin. It is hard to say what might have happened had Ansett been looked after properly both under New Limited and Air NZ ownership.
Old 11th August 2008, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty H View Post
Wouldn't that be classed as a conflict of interest?

Also when Ansett went under it was only a couple of days after Sept 11 2001. Would that have been a factor?.

If the events of that day did not occur, would Ansett still have gone under?

My Stuff on the web
http://www.ryanhothersall.net/

Last edited by Ryan Hothersall; 11th August 2008 at 05:51 PM.