Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11th August 2008, 06:20 PM

Default Photos in Magazines

Just thought i would ask if many members actually send in their photos to magazines such as Australian Avaition etc and get their photos printed. My neighbour sent in hundreds back before digital photos came in. He did get a few in. I will start sending some in withgin the next few weeks. Who knows, i might work along side Paul Sadler
Old 11th August 2008, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony G View Post
Just thought i would ask if many members actually send in their photos to magazines such as Australian Avaition etc and get their photos printed. My neighbour sent in hundreds back before digital photos came in. He did get a few in. I will start sending some in withgin the next few weeks. Who knows, i might work along side Paul Sadler
I gave up! only 2 ppl get there pics in the mag (AA) constantly now.

Regards
Brian Wilkes
Old 11th August 2008, 08:04 PM
Prolific Member

Andrew McLaughlin's daughter and Paul Sadler?
Old 11th August 2008, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Wilkes View Post
I gave up! only 2 ppl get there pics in the mag (AA) constantly now.
Hi Brian

Myself or Gerard are more than happy to discuss any issues via email or PM you may have with your photos in the mag.

And to those thinking of contributing...

Please send your pics in, but be aware that we have literally thousands of Virgin Blue and Qantas 737 pics on file already! So rather than send these in (unless it's an absolute cracker!), look for something different like an unusual aircraft, or pics with two or more aircraft in them, or airport overviews etc. Whilst we make no guarantees they'll get a run, we'd be happy to consider them or put them on file for future use.

Our preferred specs for photo submissions are listed on our website at http://www.ausaviation.com.au/submissions/index.htm

Although we try to give our regular contributors a fairly regular run, especially in the Traffic column when visiting aircraft pass through or in support of topical editorials or feature articles, images are chosen primarily on their merits and relevance to the article in which they are run.

Both myself and Paul Sadler (who is employed as our main photographer and production editor) travel extensively and get to take a hell of alot of pictures every week, so there's a good chance his or my images files (Yes Nigel, or even my daughter's...) will be the first we go to in search of a particular pic.

Cheers

Andrew
Old 12th August 2008, 07:45 AM

Maybe AA could set aside a page in each issue that has reader submitted pics. They could ask for reader/subscribers to submit any pics that they have taken over the years that may interest other readers. I don't suggest it be a competition, but more a regular page for readers to maybe one day see a picture they have taken in print.
Just a suggestion and am sure one that would be of interest to almost all the readers.
Old 12th August 2008, 02:11 PM

I say BRING back the POSTERS...
Old 12th August 2008, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warick M
Maybe AA could set aside a page in each issue that has reader submitted pics. They could ask for reader/subscribers to submit any pics that they have taken over the years that may interest other readers. I don't suggest it be a competition, but more a regular page for readers to maybe one day see a picture they have taken in print.
Just a suggestion and am sure one that would be of interest to almost all the readers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenden S View Post
I say BRING back the POSTERS...
If you guys can make a good business case for either of these, I'm sure we'd be happy to consider it carefully. Unfortunately, readers' pics and centrespreads don't sell many magazines or ads.

Cheers
Old 12th August 2008, 04:53 PM

Almost every magazine I buy (Photography/Fishing etc) have a readers submission section. In the photo mags obviously they print the most worthy submissions and critique them, with the fishing mags they accept readers photos of fish they have caught. It would be great to have a section like this in AA. If it doesn't sell mags at least it ads another dimension to the magazine.
Old 12th August 2008, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickN View Post
Almost every magazine I buy (Photography/Fishing etc) have a readers submission section. In the photo mags obviously they print the most worthy submissions and critique them, with the fishing mags they accept readers photos of fish they have caught. It would be great to have a section like this in AA. If it doesn't sell mags at least it ads another dimension to the magazine.
Like I said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew McLaughlin View Post
If you guys can make a good business case for either of these, I'm sure we'd be happy to consider it carefully. Unfortunately, readers' pics and centrespreads don't sell many magazines or ads.
Old 12th August 2008, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew McLaughlin View Post

Cheers
Maybe not, but if there was a competition that was SPONSORED by say, Canon, Nikon etc, then maybe something like this might work on an annual basis... Doesn't have to be sponsored by a camera manufacturer, but by having it sponsored could make it cost neutral whilst engaging potential new readers!

My Flight Diary

My Photos Flickr Images