Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements

Old 31st March 2018, 03:02 AM

Default Whatever happened to the spotters licence?

I seem to recall an announcement (quite a few years ago) about SACL (or was it the Federal Police?) implementing a spotters ID card at YSSY.

Did anything come of that plan?

Personally I never thought the ID card would work or have any real safety benefits.

Sure, someone seen on the airport perimeter fence all the time could raise safety concerns. Such a person should therefore have a spotters pass to prove their good intentions.

But what about casual weekend spotters or photographers? Should they be expected to apply (and pay) for a pass before even approaching the vicinity of the airport?

That's why I felt the airport spotters pass would never work. A few people would apply for the ID card and carry it, but casual spotters and random visitors would still not possess one... hence, the safety / ID issue still exists.

Last edited by Robbie J; 31st March 2018 at 04:12 AM.
Old 18th April 2018, 01:04 AM
YSSY Forum Administrator

Hi Robbie,

Interestingly, I remember you asking similar questions 4 years ago :-)

http://yssyforum.net/board/showthread.php?t=9861

You raise some valid points, and that's probably why nothing has changed or developed since then unfortunately.

AFP's community based Airport Watch concept still exists and more information can be found here:
https://www.afp.gov.au/what-we-do/ou.../airport-watch

"See it, hear it, report it - 131 AFP"
Old 30th April 2018, 02:19 PM

Kurt, LOL, yes, I visit the airport, but only rarely - five or six visits a year. In fact, if you simply want to observe take-offs and landings or do some casual photography, you don't even have to be at the airport - there are spots further way, like Tempe or Foreshore Road, that can be good with a long lens.