Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th September 2010, 09:14 AM

We queued up for lunch just after 10am. We finished eating just in time for the flying to start.

The guy next to me went for coffee and came back 90 minutes later...
Old 19th September 2010, 09:15 AM

Further to my original post , here are a few shots taken yesterday ..

Dave C
Old 19th September 2010, 04:13 PM

Default Enjoyable but not well organised

I really enjoyed the flying displays and having commercial flights taxi by so close was a thrill, if only we could get that close all the time everywhere!
I echo the comments in respect of food, seating and shade. I could not even find anywhere to get fresh water to refill my own bottle! I also have my own issues with the parking, great availability but to take 2 hours to exit the venue by car really put a damper on it. After a long hot day on my feet, sure 2 hours sitting in the car was ok, but to have a 2 hour drive after that 2 hour wait made it a long trip home!
Old 19th September 2010, 05:52 PM

Default On a lighter note

Would you believe that someone actually asked me to sit down because I was blocking the view for their 7 year old daughter. They were some distance behind me and it confused me as the action was in the air! And keeping in mind I was also some distance from the crowded fence line. I pointed out that it was an "Air" show, so he should encourage his daughter to look up and the problem would be solved
Old 19th September 2010, 06:00 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
\ I thought that the organisation of the event needs major improvement. No matter what or when, the lines for the food were at least an hour long. No shade. No drinks carts. The line to get on the shuttle bus to get back over to the other side of the runway was about 1.5 hours long. We wanted to leave early, but we were trapped, with no food/shade or means to leave. Nothing ran on time and the totally just gave up on getting the C-130 out flying.

\.
Wow! I have only been to two major airshows - Amberley '08 and also in '03(?) and all I can say was they were superbly organised! Took train/bus in '03 but risked taking the car in '08. Parking was easy and close, little wait to get out, plenty of drinks/food and shade was there if you wanted it.
Old 19th September 2010, 06:45 PM

I think with the car parking it was a matter of luck .. We drove straight in . parked up and at the end of the show we were out in a matter of 5 minutes . As for the food outlets , I've been to enough airshows now to convince me to take my own food and drink , it's always a nightmare trying to queue and you miss so much of the thing you're there to see ... I'd love shares in those food outlets though , they must have made loads of money this weekend !! ..

Dave C
Old 19th September 2010, 07:48 PM

I don't know what everyone's whinging about!! It was a great flying display with a lot of formations that won't ever be seen again. The static display was pretty standard but what did you expect? I went for food at about 1pm and was back at my spot by 1:30pm or so....not all that bad really (and a long way from 90 minutes!!). When the show was over, it was a 15 minute walk to the car then literally 5 minutes to get on the road and outta there! The food at the stands was expensive but, once again, what did you expect? As for being trapped at the show because you couldn't get across the field...what a load of rubbish!! They made a number of announcements that shuttle buses were running ALL DAY to get from one side of the field to the other!!
Old 19th September 2010, 09:10 PM

Well you were lucky.. I was stuck with a 13 month old in the carpark for nearly 2 hours.. if it wasn't for some one saying they were told to go the other way I would have been stuck at least another hour..

As for food my sister in law took 2 hours to get 3 pluto pups.. so organisation wasnt the best..

and as others have said the airial display was amazing.. and here are a few of my shots...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0444.jpg (6.9 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0525.jpg (12.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0645.jpg (15.0 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0670.jpg (11.8 KB, 24 views)
Old 19th September 2010, 09:49 PM

Well - I don't know what the Sunday show was like but my comments for Saturday would be

Pretty good static display - good to see the Wedgetail up close.
Flying - very good overall - continuity not so good - too many long pauses - and then to learn that some displays were cancelled through lack of time (if that's true) - very ordinary

F111 - excellent dump & burns - 3 ship display very disappointing -could have been so much more than a couple of passes - imagine a 3 ship dump & burn to say farewell

Car park - an absolute **** up - we got out in about 20 mins due to some cross country travel - but half an hour after the show there was hardly any flow down the road through the swamp -and no-one in control of the traffic flow until everyone was on the road - too late to be of any use

Overall an enjoyable show - 7/10 score for me

Dave
Old 20th September 2010, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg McDonald View Post
I don't know what everyone's whinging about!! It was a great flying display with a lot of formations that won't ever be seen again. The static display was pretty standard but what did you expect? I went for food at about 1pm and was back at my spot by 1:30pm or so....not all that bad really (and a long way from 90 minutes!!). When the show was over, it was a 15 minute walk to the car then literally 5 minutes to get on the road and outta there! The food at the stands was expensive but, once again, what did you expect? As for being trapped at the show because you couldn't get across the field...what a load of rubbish!! They made a number of announcements that shuttle buses were running ALL DAY to get from one side of the field to the other!!
Did you goto the same airshow????? Hahaha

I thought that the static displays were great. You must of been VERY lucky to get food in 30 minutes. I did not see a single line that would of been that quick. What line were you in??!!??

As for being trapped. Well i DID hear that the shuttle buses were running, hence why i attempted to try and catch one. But at 3pm, the line for it had AT LEAST 1000 people in it, with strollers and foam planes and you name it. It would of been a time wasting exercise catching the bus.

So 4 rolled around, we waited about 20 min for the 2 VB and DJ flights to come in, and proceeded to sit in the carpark for 90 min. SO wanting to leave at 3 quickly turned to finally exiting the field at a bit after 6. And not getting home till a bit after 9.

Im not whinging as such, i had an OK day. Its just quite clear that they either have no idea how to run an event or they wont expecting that many people.