Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Trip Reports

Old 6th April 2014, 11:15 PM

Default Trip Report: QF BNE-SYD-BNE (Photos)

Introduction:

One of my plane spotting buddy’s from Brisbane (Joel – who I did a Sydney daytrip with mid last year) wanted to do another trip to Sydney, but for a few days this time. We would do the trip in mid-March, and spend two nights in Sydney. He was pretty keen to try out QF8 so we have to do that and for the return we chose a flight to be operated by a Boeing 767. But of course, it was changed to a B738 a few months out. The third time this has happened to me.

Brisbane Airport:

3:30am wake-up call! We had to catch a taxi to the airport as my parents were out of town and nobody could give us a lift. We got to the airport just before 5am. We checked-in for the flight which was a bit slow due to a large tour group travelling on today’s flight. From what I heard, they were connecting to the Shanghai flight out of Sydney. So for the first time I have caught QF8 the flight would be full! Unfortunately we couldn’t even get a window seat each (even though we did the online seat selection and chose 63K and 64K). We got 63J and 63K, Joel took the window as I have already done QF8 four times

Security and customs was easy enough and soon we were at our gate admiring the stunning 747 that would take us down to Sydney.

VH-OEE “Nullarbor”, second time on OEE for me. This unfortunately meant the end of my good run of regos on QF8. OEI in May 2011, OEJ in April 2012, OEG in November 2012 and OEE in January and March 2014!

P2-PXC who would head back to POM later that morning after overnighting.

The Queen of the skies looking amazing at dawn

The morning light shining on OEE and QPJ which had just arrived back from HKG

Boarding commenced on-time, we waited for the crowd to ease before boarding the mighty 747!

March 16, 2014
Qantas
QF8
BNE-SYD
VH-OEE B744
Seat 63J

As I had the middle seat I didn’t get too many in-flight photos. I started watching an episode of Hamish and Andy’s Asian gap year as we made the quick taxi to RWY01. Of course I paused the episode as we lined up so I could hear the mighty roar of those engines! Despite the full load of passengers we still made the usual quick rotation for the short hop down south. Brisbane spotter Beau Chenery captured our departure. He took this great shot!

http://planeimages.net/i/1KqrTp2hMfmK

We made the usual 180 degree turn south before passing over the CBD

Cruising along at 38000’ over Northern NSW

Breakfast was the usual on QF8. Apple Danish, yoghurt and orange juice. The flight passed very quickly of course and we were soon on descent.

We landed on RWY34L and made the quick taxi to the international terminal. We had to wait 10 minutes as EK412 to AKL was still occupying our gate. Then when she finally got out of the way they had problems hooking up the aerobridge to us! Only took 5 minutes to resolve though so we were soon on our way over customs and boarder security which was a breeze! I then sent Bernie a text and he picked us up and took us to the mound!

Sydney Airport:

Sunday, 16 March

Photos from the day can be found here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/brando...57642723715243

We spent the morning out at the mound and the afternoon at the beach. Just the usual stuff that day! Got to tick VH-VKB off my list, she went to DPS. Got OEH and OEJ with the baseball stickers on them as they went off to Phoenix to pick up players. Also got some wicked pelican shots! :P

Monday, 17 March

Bernie picked us up bright and early and took us straight to the mound. We went to RAAF Richmond to see what was around from about 11am-1pm, where we met up with Zac M who drove over from Canberra. We spent the afternoon at the new observation deck at Rydges and the evening at the beach and breakwater. Highlights included VH-XZJ in some lovely morning light. VH-VKB and VKD switched over in DPS the night before which meant I got VKD. So I have seen them all for now! Caught B-LJA “Hong Kong trader” that night, running several hours late.

Photos from the day can be found here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/brando...57642898076113

Tuesday, 18 March

Zac drove us over to the mound early. We met up with Bernie and Matthew later that morning. They then drove to Canberra at about midday to catch the ANA B77W. Joel and I just spent the afternoon at the Qantas Heritage museum which offers great views over the airport. The museum is also fantastic to look around. Highlights of the day included seeing UA B744s at YSSY for the last time and probably VS A346s as well! Got VH-EFR in her new livery, also Air China B-6075 in her stunning livery. Got Sichuan and Cathay B748F B-LJK parked next to B-LJA!

Here are my spotting photos from the day:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/brando...57643239057065

We then headed down to our gate for the flight home! VH-VZE would be taking us back to BNE! New rego for me.

March 18, 2014
Qantas
QF536
SYD-BNE
VH-VZE B738
Seat 4A

On-board in Seat 4A, first economy row! Thanks Zac :P

Passing the mound!

Behind VH-OGR as we wait to take off on RWY34R

Off she goes with the Sydney CBD behind

Making the usual right turn at 500’ with some nice views of the airport

We were treated to some spectacular views over the Sydney CBD. Not Joel though as he was on the wrong side :P
Old 6th April 2014, 11:15 PM

Nice view of the beach’s!

Passing Newcastle and then Williamtown

Crossing the coast

We cruised at 37000’. We received a snack box on the flight which consisted of cheese and biscuits and a dip. Drinks were also offered and I grabbed a coke.

The flight passed very quickly and soon we were turning finals for RWY01 over Archerfield

Brisbane City

Logistics Apron

Touched down on 01 and taxied over the domestic. That marked the end of another awesome spotting trip!

Conclusion:

Big thanks to Bernie for once again driving me around YSSY and also to Zac for the lift too! Thanks to Joel for the company and also all the awesome spotters down in Sydney for making it an awesome trip!

I will post a TR for my trip to Mackay (a few days ago) in the coming days. Next trip for me is another big one! Off to Asia for the first time. Going to Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Hong Kong and Kaohsiung in Taiwan (to visit family living over there) in May/June. Flying on a couple of Air Asia X A333s, China Airlines A333s, Air Asia A320s and a Malaysian B772 and Cathay B773. Can’t wait!

Thanks for reading!

Brandon
Old 7th April 2014, 04:26 AM
Administrator

Enjoyed your trip report Brandon. Looking forward to your Mackay and Asia TR's also.
ABQ ABX ACV ADD ADL AKL ALB AMA AMS ANC ARN ATH ATL AUA AUH AUS AVL AVV AZA BCN BDL BFL BGO BGR BHD BHM BHQ BIL BIS BKI BKK BLD BLI BLV BNA BNE BOG BOI BOJ BOS BSB BTR BUF BUD BUR BWI BZE BZN CAI CBR CGK CHC CHS CLE CLT CMH CNS CNX COS CPH CPT CTG CTS CUE CUN CUZ CVG CXF CZM DAL DBO DCA DEN DFW DLH DOH DRW DSM DTW DUD DUR DXB ECP ELP EUG EWR EYW EZE FAI FAR FAT FCA FCO FLG FLL FNL FNT FRA FRS FSD FU'K FWA GCN GDL GDN GEG GGW GIG GJT GOT GRI GRR GRU GSP GTF GUA GVA GYE HAM HAN HBA HBE HEL HHH HKD HKG HLZ HND HNL HOU HRL HSV HVB IAD IAH ICN ICT IDA IND INV ISP IST ITM ITO JAB JAX JFK JNB JNU JOG JTR KEF KGC KIX KMI KMJ KMQ KOA KRK KTN KUL LAS LAX LBB LBE LEJ LFT LGA LGB LHR LIH LIM LIN LRD LST MAD MAF MAO MCI MCO MCT MCY MDE MDT MDW MEL MEM MEX MFE MFR MHU MIA MID MKE MNL MOB MOT MQL MRY MSN MSP MSY MTJ MTY MUC MVD MXP MZT NAN NAS NRT NTL OAG OAK OGG OKA OKC OMA OME ONT OOL ORD OSL OTZ OUI PAE PBG PDX PEK PER PHL PHX PIA PIT PLO PLZ PNH PSC PSG PSP PTY PVD PVG PVR PVU RAP RDD RDM RDU REC REP RIC RIX RNO ROC RSW SAL SAN SAT SAV SBA SBD SBN SBP SCK SCL SDF SDU SEA SFO SGF SGN SGU SHA SHV SIN SIT SJC SJD SJO SJU SLC SMF SMX SNA SOF SSA STL STS SUN SYD SYO SYR TIJ TLL TMW TPA TPE TSV TUL TUS TWF TYS VAR VIE VNO VPS WAW WDH WGA WLG WRG WVB XIY XNA YEG YHM YHZ YKM YOW YQB YQG YQM YTZ YUL YUM YVR YWG YXE YYC YYJ YYT YYZ ZRH

Next Trips:
29-31MAR LAS-ANC/FAI-ANC-LAS AS
08-09APR LAS-SNA-LAS WN
10-29APR LAS-LAX-SYD-ADL-MEL-ADL-KGC-ADL-MEL-SYD-LAX-LAS AA/QF/VA
02-05MAY LAS-ATL-LIT-LAS WN
11-12MAY LAS-DEN/CYS-DEN-LAS UA
18-19MAY LAS-DFW-BRO/HOU-LAS AA/WN
25-27MAY LAS-GEG/MSO-LAS WN/G4
08-09JUN LAS-PDX-LAS AS
21-24JUN LAS-GJT-LAS G4
04-08JUL LAS-SEA-ANC-ADQ-ANC-SEA-LAS AS
17-18AUG LAS-SEA-KTN-SEA-LAS AS
29AUG-03SEP LAS-MSP-TVC-DFW-LAS SY/AA
28-29SEP LAS-DEN-LAS UA
08-11NOV LAS-EWR/BTV-ORD-LAS UA
Old 9th April 2014, 07:15 PM

Well done brandon,

Looking forward to the MKY trip and your Asian Adventure - And MAS 777
Old 10th April 2014, 09:22 PM

Thanks guys Mackay TR is now up, enjoy!
Old 8th May 2014, 04:43 PM

Do you know why do they so often change from B 767 to another one? Is it possible to somehow guarantee flight on B 767? I'm really keen of it.

Last edited by Maria M; 8th May 2014 at 04:53 PM.