Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Trip Reports

Old 9th July 2011, 11:28 PM

Default Trip Report: JQ NTL-OOL (PHOTOS)

Introduction

Before we go on, please be nice, it’s my first TR ever!

Well its school holidays again, time to book another week and a half holiday to OOL! So time to jump on another jetstar flight to the Gold Coast (OOL), from my hometown Newcastle (NTL). Booked the tickets around the last week of June for JQ492 on the 9/7 ($99), and the return flight JQ493 on the 19/7($35 BARGAIN!) relatively cheap i must say. I fly to OOL from NTL every holidays because my pop lives at a 5 star Ocean Plaza Resort in Coolangatta, only a 1km drive away. We have passes to Dreamworld (love the wipeout), and keen to test out there new moderate thrill ride "ShockWave”. Choose my seats online 19F going, and 17A return ($8 out of pocket). Both flight’s very full during the on-line seat selection, most probably due to the holidays, and no competition. Jetstar has it easy, lucky for them. This would be between my 10th-15th time on the Airbus A320, it’s an ok modern aircraft, but i much prefer the Boeing 737NG.

The Itinerary!

JQ492
DATE: 9th July, 2011
AIRLINE: Jetstar
AIRCRAFT: Airbus A320-232
SECTOR: Newcastle/Williamtown (NTL) - Gold Coast (OOL)
SEAT: 19F
GATE DEP: 2
GATE ARR: 3
TAKEOFF RWY: 30
ARRIVAL RWY: 32
ETD/ATD: 1440/1534
ETA/ATA: 1545/1631
FLIGHT TIME: 57 Minutes
LOAD FACTOR: 100%- No seats left at all.

My flight wasn’t until 2:40pm, so no worries about sleeping in! I stayed at my other nan's house for that night as my other nan who i live with, was flying the day before me to Melbourne from Newcastle on Virgin Australia!!!! grrrrr lucky her! Anyway, that morning had a shower, packed the rest of my junk into my trunk and was already to go. At around 12:30pm, we went out to the car and started the 35-40 minute drive to the airport. Smooth drive, no traffic. At around 1pm, we pulled up at the rank to drop people off, got out our hand luggage and said our final good byes and revived the regular "have a good time" reply.

Walked into the very clean and modern NTL terminal, we made our way over to the Jetstar self-serve check-in kiosks, every time it seems it doesn’t want to scan the barcode on the itinerary with Jetstar, so i just put the Reference number in. Quick and easy, printed out myself and my sisters boarding pass, no troubles at all. Then i looked at the departure screens and my flight was showing On-time! Oh my god, for the first time ever it was on-time! Couldn’t believe my eyes! We headed over to the newsagency, brought my Australian Aviation magazine, something to read, then we walked over to Hungry Jacks for lunch, got my Bacon Deluxe Meal with a Chocolate Thick shake, Hahaha Brock, the shake machine was working here :P and got our meals, headed over to security, no line up, headed straight through.

Boarding Pass

When through, VH-ZPI just landed from Melbourne as DJ1589, then off to Melbourne again as DJ1590. Then VH-VGH just landed from Melbourne after Zippy, as JQ474, then off to Brisbane. Shortly after the E190 left, my plane landed VH-VQX (first time) from Brisbane, and taxied over to the gate.

I thought this was really funny! A VA ground worker running in her high heels, me and my sister were laughing like hell!

VH-VGH just arrived from Melbourne!

Zippy (VH-ZPI) taxiing out to Runway 30 of on another domestic 1hr 30min flight to MEL!

My plane VH-VQX has arrived from BNE!

We then went to line-up, and just as we were about to board, they informed us of a technical difficulty in the cockpit, so they said a 15 minute delay. We said ok, nothing to bad. Then when 15 minutes was over we heard this: “Ladies and Gentlemen, those passengers on service JQ492 to the Gold Coast unfortunately this service will be delayed for another 40 minutes due to engine problems, then I got angry, but I watched them test and start the engines about 10 times, then they fixed it, and were welcomed for boarding through gate 2. Boarding took 20 minutes, 2 of the 4 flight attendant’s didn’t smile at all, 1 was rather attractive .

As time went by, boarding was complete, bags were done, and refuelling was done. Time to close the doors and start the engines! (Hopefully they worked). Usual safety demo done, with not much enthusiasm, regular checks, made our very short taxi over to runway 30. Lights dimmed, regular loud music playing then we lined up for takeoff!

Video of takeoff here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix2Zp0xwkPU

Then we climbed up to our cruising altitude.

Climbing to our cruising altitude!

I decided to include the famous legroom shot! I don't know if it is just me or the seats have gotten closer together, or i have just gotten taller! They are so close together, my legs were digging into the chair, poor person in front! Wouldn't do jetstar on 2+ hour flights cause of the lack of legroom.

Also, i noticed new safety cards, they are now a single double sided laminated sheet instead of the old booklet grey style, i personally like the new ones.

Now at our cruising altitude, only for 10 minutes!

During the climb the crew did the usual jetshop cafe service quickly, i didn’t buy anything.

After between 5-10 minutes of cruise we started our decent!

Speed brakes up, coming in for an approach!

Landing video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iS6MvkWItE

Once we landed we taxied to T1 apron, pulled into gate with other aircraft including a jetstar A321, and parked next to jetstar A320 VH-VQC, and when we were there a man was arrested with police so that was interesting! (After disembarking).

Parked at the gate next to VQC.

Took about 5-10 minutes for them to hook up the stairs and open the doors, as a melon i am, i wait and i am usually one of the last off the aircraft, said good bye to the cabin crew, the hot one :P. Went onto the tarmac, said goodbye to VH-VQX, not like I’m going to miss it, but another rego in my data base that i can remember from. Went inside the terminal to be greeted by my pop and uncle, went out to the car, and drove to the apartment at Ocean Plaza Resort!

Conclusion

That concludes my 57MIN flight to OOL from NTL for my 5th time, and there will be plenty more to come!

Did not enjoy the 1 hour delay, and it turns out jetstar have been questioned by the CASA or whatever it is over safety concerns; well that explains a technical fault, and broken down engine!

Bring on Dreamworld, the beach, pool, spa, surfers, plane spotting at OOL and lots more!

Thanks so much for reading my first ever trip report; i hope it is up to your standards, if there’s any improvements i can make please tell me!

Thanks for reading!

Peace out!

Last edited by Jack Melon; 10th July 2011 at 08:52 AM.
Old 10th July 2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Melon View Post
Did not enjoy the 1 hour delay, and it turns out jetstar have been questioned by the CASA or whatever it is over safety concerns; well that explains a technical fault, and broken down engine!
May I respectfully suggest that the delay was in fact very appropriate and clearly demonstrates a commitment to safety, your safety? I would also make the point that linking this to any CASA notification is drawing a pretty long bow, a little research would suggest that Jetstar notified CASA which again demonstrates transparency and a commitment to safety and I have no doubts that the other major operators in this country would do the same thing.

Hopefully you won't get so "angry" next time there is a delay!

Good report otherwise.
Old 10th July 2011, 09:27 AM

Yes i understand Out of all my 10 or so Jetstar flights only 1 has ever been on time, half of them have a had a technical difficulty, hope the return flight can leave on time, but yep, safety before schedule!

I wouldn't get angry if jetstar didn't delay every single flight, but not much i can do!

Cheers!
Old 10th July 2011, 10:35 PM

Why bother getting upset? You get delayed so be it, if you don't like the airlines on time performance don't fly with them.

At the end of the day you are paying bargain basement prices for Jetstar so you really can't expect much!
24/1/24 JQ724 (YXS)
26/1/24 QF1913 (UYY)
20/1/24 QF1451 (LQM)
19/1/24 QF1442 (QOR)
7/1/24 QF1530 (YQW)
7/1/24 JQ740 (YXQ)
Old 10th July 2011, 11:39 PM

I've never been in Williamtown's terminal, even though we drive up to port Stephens
every year and watch a few planes on the way up and on the down at the airport,
Last JQ flight I got to sit in the cockpit, you should try getting in as well just wait till your last aboard and ask the F/A if you can get a photo, if there nice they'll ask the pilots,
it's worked for me every time.
Don't you love the engine starting sound of the A320?
Old 11th July 2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac M View Post
Why bother getting upset? You get delayed so be it, if you don't like the airlines on time performance don't fly with them.

At the end of the day you are paying bargain basement prices for Jetstar so you really can't expect much!
Well it is a bit hard, when they are the only airline doing the route, and no way am i going 160km south all that mucking around for Sydney airport, unless you will pay for it?

And about the OTP, jetstar is always delayed which really annoys me but as i said, nothing i can do about it. But i don't expect every flight to have broken down planes.
Old 11th July 2011, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Varney View Post
I've never been in Williamtown's terminal, even though we drive up to port Stephens
every year and watch a few planes on the way up and on the down at the airport,
Last JQ flight I got to sit in the cockpit, you should try getting in as well just wait till your last aboard and ask the F/A if you can get a photo, if there nice they'll ask the pilots,
it's worked for me every time.
Don't you love the engine starting sound of the A320?
Hey Brad! Newcastle is a great little airport, nice, fresh, modern and clean! It has everything you need. It's also great for the RAAF, as we have the biggest RAAF base . I have been in plenty of cockpits! I just recently in April went in the JQ cockpit, and in January in the virgin cockpit. The virgin pilot's are so much nicer, and actually appreciate you being there compared to JQ, who try and get you out, not a great image. But must of been a bad hair day! I do love the starting sound of the A320! But those CFM56-7B engines are more better when on idle, and taking off! Cheers Brad.
Old 11th July 2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
then we walked over to Hungry Jacks for lunch, got my Bacon Deluxe Meal with a Chocolate Thick shake, Hahaha Brock, the shake machine was working here :P
Quite sure I went to McDonald's for my milkshake, Hungry Jacks milkshakes are nothing compared to the ones made at Maccas.

Quote:
CASA or whatever it is over safety concerns
Yes, it's CASA. Civil Aviation Safety Authority. And as Craig said, the airline alerted CASA straight away when they found out...that seperates an airline committed to safety and one that isn't. I wouldn't mind spending an extra hour due to your delay in NTL myself, more opportunity to see some interesting military movements!

Quote:
they are the only airline doing the route
You could always do NTL-BNE on DJ and then catch the Airtrain back down to the Gold Coast...Jetstar-free and the Airtrain isn't much of a hassle at all, BNE is also very efficient.

Quote:
It's also great for the RAAF, as we have the biggest RAAF base
I was under the impression that Amberley was the biggest RAAF base in Australia?

Quote:
The virgin pilot's are so much nicer, and actually appreciate you being there compared to JQ, who try and get you out, not a great image.
Tight turnaround times (especially quite tight for JQ) probably warrant Jetstar pilots to only allow for a quick chat in the cockpit. Also the previous delays on your JQ flights would obviously mean that the pilots are trying harder to get everything ready for the next flight to minimise the delay as much as possible. Can't blame them, really.

Nice trip report, and the videos make a good touch. Hope your experience with Jetstar on OOL-NTL isn't as terrifying as this one.

JetPhotos.net (1381 Photos)
Old 11th July 2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
The virgin pilot's are so much nicer, and actually appreciate you being there compared to JQ, who try and get you out, not a great image.

Tight turnaround times (especially quite tight for JQ) probably warrant Jetstar pilots to only allow for a quick chat in the cockpit. Also the previous delays on your JQ flights would obviously mean that the pilots are trying harder to get everything ready for the next flight to minimise the delay as much as possible. Can't blame them, really.

Nice trip report, and the videos make a good touch. Hope your experience with Jetstar on OOL-NTL isn't as terrifying as this one..
Having just done a trip up to OOL with JQ, I can not fault them at all, especially the information prior, during and back on the ground waiting for the bay to become available by the flight crew! I flew up to OOL on Saturday morning on JQ19 (A332 from Intl) and back on JQ423 (A320 Dom), cabin crew were fantastic, friendly and efficient, whilst flight deck crew kept us informed to the delay after pushback (another JQ aircraft also pushing and taxing from another bay); information mid flight (ATC slowing us down on return into YSSY due to wind/traffic) and finally, of the delay by there being no-one there to operate the aerobridge for the forward exit! They were a credit to the brand JETSTAR!

Great report and lots of pics (always good ) but I have a question... I was in 26A on my flight, I am also 6'3" yet I found more room in that seat than in a 737 (any variant) and in some cases, 747, so I am curiouse as to how tall you are that you found them a little tighter than normal, and kneeing the seatback infront of you!!

My Flight Diary

My Photos Flickr Images
Old 11th July 2011, 01:27 PM

Williamtown or Pearce are probably the biggest bases in terms of number of aircraft (~60ish each). Amberley would probably be the biggest in terms of ramp space etc. In terms of land area, Edinburgh probably beats them all!

Last edited by A McLaughlin; 11th July 2011 at 01:33 PM.