Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st November 2008, 12:32 PM

I can answer my own question. I just spoke to Defence media and they confirmed that they will be flying to Kiama and back.
Old 1st November 2008, 01:18 PM

So im guessing they will be leaving Richmond around 4ish or something like that?
Old 1st November 2008, 05:01 PM

just saw all 4 do 2 circuits over manly

i know nothing about hercules, but 3 were all the same size, and one was larger-that one flew higher than the others

it was very impressive
Old 1st November 2008, 05:21 PM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South

My son al I drove over to Mona Vale headland around 1545 only to just miss a low (500ft) and close southbound pass by the camoufalge livery Hercules, and by the time we walked to the headland point it came back northbound and we just missed it again. Over the next hour the light blue grey Hercules did a southbound pass then tracked down to northhead where it turned out to sea and overhead an anchored ship before neading back in towards the coast for the northbound pass (too far out to sea where we were). The Camouflage livery Hercules A97-003 returned and did a southbound pass to North Head, turning out to sea and then back in close to the coastline around Dee Why and then north to Barrenjoey.

Just after we left the formation of four Hercules flew southbound.

The weather was fairly average, with the sun completely behind cloud. The hang gliders provided a better photo opportunity.

Could not quite make out the registration on the light blue grey livery.

A97-003 on the northbound pass at Mona Vale headland.

A97-003 on the northbound pass at Mona Vale headland.

Old 1st November 2008, 07:47 PM

The view from Newcastle.

The weather was dull and they were closer in than I had expected (I thought they would be more out to sea but they flew directly over us).

You can just make out the special tails on the lead H-model and one of the J-models as well.

Cheers,
Motty.
Old 1st November 2008, 10:03 PM

Was out at Richmond for their departure and their return.Then at around maybe 7pm a Hurc went up for a solo display around the base. Very impressive, stab in the dark but got to have been no higher that about 500ft or something. Way better in my opinion that what they do at the airshows!!!
Old 1st November 2008, 10:47 PM

They flew over Blacktown & Featherdale bout 6.05pm..Very loud noise and went out to have a look at what they were..
It was like they were playing follow the leader. They went up to about Doonside and turned right and would have followed the m7 and then came around again. As per other reports they were quite low, and the noise was astounding...
Old 2nd November 2008, 02:00 AM

I would have liked to have seen them fly over, but I had to work.

Regards,
Warren
Old 2nd November 2008, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard M View Post
Was out at Richmond for their departure and their return.Then at around maybe 7pm a Hurc went up for a solo display around the base. Very impressive, stab in the dark but got to have been no higher that about 500ft or something. Way better in my opinion that what they do at the airshows!!!
Yep we just celebrated 50 years of C130 hercules operations in the RAAF. We were all ask to step out and watch the flyby's over the base. It was a great night. A little embarresing having worked on hercs for a few years now, I did not actually know Australia was the first international customer of the C130 until tonight. We recived a 50 years C130 operations coin, a book celebrating the history and a C130 pin.
Old 2nd November 2008, 06:27 AM

I beleive that was 448 Grahame.