Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st July 2008, 09:05 PM

Default RIP 747-300 PER-MEL-PER flights.

Well its been a long time coming. Expect to see the OTP improve for this sector now.

Its a shame to see them go but they have done their dash. Its ironic that as a pax these new 332's wont have PTV's in Y like the 743's but id rather that than a 6 hour delay.

PERTH, 1 July 2008: Qantas today announced it would replace its Boeing 747-300 aircraft on the Perth-Melbourne route with brand new Airbus A330-200 aircraft from today.
Qantas Regional General Manager Western Australia, Mr Ian Gay, said 13 out of 48 weekly return Perth-Melbourne services would be operated by the new aircraft. A further 10 return services each week would be upgraded from B737-400 to B767-300 aircraft.
“The new A330-200 aircraft will be dedicated to Perth services and will enable us to offer our West Australian customers greater reliability when travelling to the east coast.
“We will be closely monitoring demand for services over the coming months, with the intention of increasing frequencies on the route late this year.”
Mr Gay also said schedule adjustments would enable the airline to offer a 6:40pm Melbourne-Perth service six days a week from today. This service previously departed at 7:40pm, and the new time will offer Perth business travellers an earlier departure from Melbourne.
Qantas will also gradually retire its older B747-300 aircraft from the Perth-Sydney route from September this year and replace them with Airbus A330-200 aircraft.
Qantas recently added extra services from Perth to the mining destinations of Newman and Port Hedland and upgraded services between Perth and Kalgoorlie and Karratha to larger aircraft.
Qantas operates 321 domestic return services from Perth each week.
Old 1st July 2008, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post
Well its been a long time coming. Expect to see the OTP improve for this sector now.

Its a shame to see them go but they have done their dash. Its ironic that as a pax these new 332's wont have PTV's in Y like the 743's but id rather that than a 6 hour delay.
Where is the irony in that? The new 332's are domestic configured, the old 743's were international configured. Last time I looked Perth, despite being a long way away was still a domestic. Gee come to Europe you don't even get audio entertainment (even on BA) on flights about the same distance as Perth to Melbourne or Sydney, let alone video or PTV's.
Old 1st July 2008, 10:26 PM

Ahh its been coming for a while, but i thought they had more time on Melbourne

I wonder when they are doing their last flights...hopefully in december/january so i can be on it!
Old 1st July 2008, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash W View Post
Where is the irony in that? The new 332's are domestic configured, the old 743's were international configured. Last time I looked Perth, despite being a long way away was still a domestic. Gee come to Europe you don't even get audio entertainment (even on BA) on flights about the same distance as Perth to Melbourne or Sydney, let alone video or PTV's.
Ironic that route is getting brand new planes that arent as well equipped as the ones its replacing, pretty simple really. I am well aware of flying domestically in Europe thankyou and was making a observation which 99% of the public will make that travel on the 743's. Configuration means SFA. The public dont care if they were international configured a/c on the domestic route. All they care about is they had TV's before now they dont on the new planes.

Cheers
Old 1st July 2008, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Ironic that route is getting brand new planes that arent as well equipped as the ones its replacing, pretty simple really. I am well aware of flying domestically in Europe thankyou and was making a observation which 99% of the public will make that travel on the 743's. Configuration means SFA. The public dont care if they were international configured a/c on the domestic route. All they care about is they had TV's before now they dont on the new planes.

Cheers
Best to build a bridge and get over it. Perth to Mel and Syd are domestic flights, be grateful you are getting nice new planes that will get you from A to B at a reasonable price and in reasonable comfort, which includes IFE just like every other domestic configured Qantas mainline jet.
Old 1st July 2008, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Best to build a bridge and get over it. Perth to Mel and Syd are domestic flights, be grateful you are getting nice new planes that will get you from A to B at a reasonable price and in reasonable comfort, which includes IFE just like every other domestic configured Qantas mainline jet.
No skin of my nose dont even fly them. As per my post observation that most people will make on the change of service. Quite simple.

Cheers
Old 3rd July 2008, 12:41 AM

Quote:
No skin of my nose dont even fly them. As per my post observation that most people will make on the change of service. Quite simple.

Cheers
The observation of most people would be: Old and tired interior with PTV (743) vs the brand new interior / seats without PTV (A332). Given that seats without PTV is standard on Qantas's domestic services (besides 743s/744s operating domestic sectors or domestic legs of international flights) what is the big fuss about? I'd take an A332 over a 767 or 743 anyday.
Old 3rd July 2008, 08:45 AM

The marketing and image damage the old 743s were inflicting on the QF brand far outweighed the positive image created by the PTVs.

Brad
Old 3rd July 2008, 04:50 PM

Quote:
I'd recommend that you build a bridge mate.

Tim was clearly making an observation of what the public will see...perhaps you better go and check the definition of irony becuase in his statement
"Ironic that route is getting brand new planes that arent as well equipped as the ones its replacing, pretty simple really. I am well aware of flying domestically in Europe thankyou and was making a observation which 99% of the public will make that travel on the 743's. Configuration means SFA. The public dont care if they were international configured a/c on the domestic route. All they care about is they had TV's before now they dont on the new planes." the word 'ironic' is adequately justified.

Why is it that people on this board are so power hungry, and what you could say 'bullying know it alls'...it is pathetic.
Seattle - Las Vegas
Las Vegas - New York
New York - Buffalo
Buffalo - New York
New York - Orlando
Miami - Los Angeles
Los Angeles - Sydney
Old 3rd July 2008, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Hogg View Post

Why is it that people on this board are so power hungry, and what you could say 'bullying know it alls'...it is pathetic.
You must be reading some different... I mearly asked why it was ironic. You could argue it was ironic that Perth had 743 flights with a different level of IFE compared to other Qantas domestic flights. Indeed the 743's made up only a small amount of the flights to Perth, the bulk if I am not mistaken are 737's which have the normal domestic IFE.

As for bullying, please show any comment that was bullying. You know this is a discussion board to discuss issues.