Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th July 2008, 03:18 AM

Default (Sydney) Airport bus and train links 'dismal'

Quoted from www.smh.com.au, 17 July...

Linton Besser Transport Reporter
July 17, 2008

SYDNEY AIRPORT has blasted the State Government for "unsatisfactory" public transport at its terminals, claiming bus and rail services were "well below international standards".

The Macquarie Bank-owned facility launched the tirade in its official submission to a national aviation policy being drafted by the Commonwealth.

Despite charging high prices for parking and other ancillary services at its terminals, the airport claimed the privately owned Airport Rail Link was too expensive, that trains were too infrequent and that bus services were inadequate.

"It is clear that the public transport infrastructure and services provided to access Sydney Airport are well below international standards for major world airports," the submission said.

"The NSW Government is encouraging growth and development of the broader airport precinct, growth which will increase pressure for supporting infrastructure to be put in place. Unless this infrastructure is provided as this growth occurs, it will put additional pressures on airport development."

Forecasts predict air traffic into Sydney would double to more than 60 million passengers over the next 20 years. The airport said a "more efficient and effective bus transport system" was a priority because of the shortcomings of the private rail link.

"The Airport Link train service is unsatisfactory as a major public transport service for both travel between the airports two terminal precincts and between the CBD and the airport itself," the submission said. "For example, it is expensive for many passengers and their families, with the private operators charging $13.80 for passengers to travel to or from the CBD. By way of comparison, the fare for the longer trip from the CBD to Turrella [the next station along] is only $3."

The 10-kilometre rail link went into receivership six months after it opened in May 2000, and in March last year Westpac bought a 49 per cent share. Capital Partners has 51 per cent.

Since the buyout, patronage has been steadily climbing, bolstered mainly by interstate and overseas visitors.

"The time of operation for services does not adequately link to the times when many Sydney Airport workers need to travel to work," the paper said. "The train carriages are not well designed for passengers who, at times, have large amounts of baggage."

The chief executive officer of Airport Rail Link, John Wilson, yesterday said there was "ample capacity" and frequency of services to cater to air travellers.

He dismissed criticism of the train ticket prices, citing climbing patronage figures. He said the airport was not comparing apples with apples because the price of a ticket to CityRail stations was subsidised in a way the airport stations were not.

"Our fares are very competitive with any of the alternative means of transportation to and from the airport," he said.

"For example, they compare very favourably with the cost of car parking at the airport."

Andrew Heslop, a spokesman for the Transport Minister, John Watkins, said the airport was well served by both the train and seven "high-frequency bus routes".

"The payment of a station access fee in addition to the CityRail fare was agreed by the former Liberal government who decided the stations on this commuter line should be privately operated."
Old 17th July 2008, 03:27 AM

My initial post was for the actual news thread. Now here's my opinion:
This just makes me laugh. Sydney Airport have got a hide coming out with that - with the price they charge for parking. How dare they question the price of public transport? My God, it's absolutely unashamed impudence and nothing less. Shame on Sydney Airport.
Old 17th July 2008, 06:25 AM

I'm with Joe. At first reading, I agree with the entire article but then I remembered that the airport overcharges for everything themselves so pointing the finger at a privately run Airport link is a bit rich.
Old 17th July 2008, 07:37 AM

Living in the CBD I find it cheaper if myself & partner get a cab than taking the train.

That is not right.

The train should be cheaper than a taxi!
Old 17th July 2008, 07:59 AM

For CBD travellers it may be more expensive, but for those who live out west, the train is certainly much cheaper. My taxi fare to the train station (only 8km away) cost more than my train ticket to the domestic terminal a few weeks ago. When Macquarie drop the car parking fees (which is a major deterent to parking at the airport and thus getting the train)then they can complain about the train fares.

Actually i would have thought they'd prefer expensive train tickets as that means more taxi's using the airport and more revenue from the taxis.

I think having a train every 10-15 minutes is pretty good considering that the line is not just an airport line but one that serves East Hills and Campletown. Macquarie could always run their own dedicated train service and charge a mint for it - as i am sure they would, and not allow city rail to operate trains on the line.

I use the line every day and the morning and afternoon peaks are certainly busy, but there is room for airport passengers and their luggage.
Old 17th July 2008, 01:16 PM

Quote:
the airport claimed the privately owned Airport Rail Link was too expensive
Holy sweet baby Jesus!

If there was ever a perfect example of the pot calling the kettle black there it is right there!

Thats the equivalent of the King claiming Robin Hood has more money than he does! Pathetic. Who at Macquarie came up with that load of tripe?
Old 17th July 2008, 06:51 PM

Hallelujah Nick! Couldn't have said it better.
It seems that one, already named company, must believe they have sole rights to the legalised extortion being practised on airport commuters.
Old 17th July 2008, 07:33 PM
Prolific Member

It would make sense to have the trains running frequently enough, and cheap enough for airport workers to utilise. I'm sure it'd get good patronage if the citywide service matched the demand times for the airport workers.
Unfortunately the Cityrail network doesn't cater to shift workers at the best of times.
Old 17th July 2008, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickN View Post
Holy sweet baby Jesus!
You've been spending too much time around WYD, Nick!
Old 18th July 2008, 08:29 AM

If I don't have much luggage, I definitely try and get the bus from Bondi Junction to the Airport. Even though it seems to take aaaaages, it's ridiculously cheap compared to the other options.

As for the train, it's overpriced and best avoided in my opinion. If I have a fair bit of luggage, it's cheaper and easier to get a taxi. In any case, if they chopped the prices of a train ticket, I doubt the service would be able to cope with an increase of airport travellers and the other users.