Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th May 2008, 03:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty H
No excuse other airlines do it.
Marty, the only cleaning that can be achieved during turn-arounds is a rubbish collection and general tidy of seats, seat pockets.

How the hell is the airline going to vacuum and wipe down every seat and tray in 30 minutes?

By the time the last passenger is off, the first ones come on within a few minutes.

When the airline is running behind and 'hot-turns are performed it is just about last person off, first person on immediately.

Marty, I'd like you to show me evidence that Virgin and Tiger have cleaners that come on, vacuum, wipe down and collect rubbish during turns-arounds.
Old 18th May 2008, 03:31 PM

My situation last night was:
-3/4 crumbled and stood on biscuits on the floor
-Finger-printed windows
-Sticky tray table with boarding sticker all over it
-The vacant seat next to me was wet
I wasn't too fussed, as long as I could see out the window, but the wet-seat next to me was rather unnacceptable. The "Adelaide" Cabin crew, were were fantastic, made up for it though

Also, it was an 1hour turnaround

Old 18th May 2008, 03:55 PM
Banned

Proper cleaning is only performed each night when the aircraft terminates.

Also, 1 hour turn-arounds are pretty uncommon. Although they exist within the schedule on some routes, delays remove this fat very quickly.

Crew do not have the ability to vacuum cabin floors, so if the typical disgusting passenger allows biscuits to fall and be crushed into the floor, there is nothing the crew can do about this.

OTP is always paramount as every one is always happy to winge if the flight is delayed or running late...

Last edited by Chris Tully; 18th May 2008 at 04:04 PM.
Old 18th May 2008, 04:05 PM

In my opinion, from your summary..

- The crumbled biscuits should have been hand-vacuumed.. they should (but probably can't or don't) keep a little one onboard for such problems..
- Fingerprints on windows too little a matter to spend time on, unless the fingerprints were in chocolate or something. (when time is money)
- If the tray table wasn't down when they were cleaning the cabin, they probably had no idea, and if they did they probably risked that you wouldn't use your tray table (not everyone does).
- The wet seat should have been wiped or something.. your seat is the epitome of your flight.. plus it would have been a noticeable enough and relatively important thing to attend to.

So in summary, I think the biscuit thing and the wet seat should've been dealt with, whereas the other two issues were too minor to deal with in such a short time.

InterCons (5 star) R/A's enter/change sheets/vacuum/wipe mirrors & windows/dust/clean bathroom/replenish tea&coffee.. whereas one of FormuleOne's (3 star) R/A's change sheets/vacuum/clean bathroom.

It is a little more crucial for FormuleOne to have rooms available on time than InterCon, as InterCon have more ways of dealing with such situations than FormuleOne.

Thus, OTP is more crucial for Jetstar than for QANTAS, etc.. because QANTAS have stronger ways of backing themselves.. so they have a little more time to pay attention to detail.

Last edited by Clarke P; 18th May 2008 at 04:10 PM.
Old 18th May 2008, 04:21 PM

Totally agree Clarke, as they kept the lights dimmed for the whole flight, I dont think anyone actually cared. Anyways I only paid 1cent, so It didn't worry me the slightest, although it was noticeable

Old 18th May 2008, 05:58 PM

How wet was the wet seat? Do you mean soaked with water, or do you mean a small spill, or somewhere in between? Anything more than a minor spill that would dry quickly sounds sufficiently out of normal bounds to have been the subject of special attention, but only if its state was apparent to the quick-clean crew.

It's hard to imagine that someone made a conscious decision to leave a seat "wet" unless perhaps they knew it was going to be unoccupied or there was some other mitigating factor.
Old 18th May 2008, 06:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Tully View Post
Proper cleaning is only performed each night when the aircraft terminates.

Also, 1 hour turn-arounds are pretty uncommon. Although they exist within the schedule on some routes, delays remove this fat very quickly.

Crew do not have the ability to vacuum cabin floors, so if the typical disgusting passenger allows biscuits to fall and be crushed into the floor, there is nothing the crew can do about this.

OTP is always paramount as every one is always happy to winge if the flight is delayed or running late...
Crew do have the availablity to vacum, aircraft carry hand vacum cleaners in the overhead lockers, after a one hour turn around the aircraft should have been sparkling, what did cabin crew waste their time doing whilst the aircraft was on the ground???
Old 18th May 2008, 06:05 PM

Maybe if Cleaners were employed then there would be clean aircraft. hate to see the condition of the toilets at the end of the day.The situation would be a OH&S problem as well.
Not to mention a health hazard where food is involved.
Old 18th May 2008, 06:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Tully View Post
Marty, the only cleaning that can be achieved during turn-arounds is a rubbish collection and general tidy of seats, seat pockets.

How the hell is the airline going to vacuum and wipe down every seat and tray in 30 minutes?

By the time the last passenger is off, the first ones come on within a few minutes.

When the airline is running behind and 'hot-turns are performed it is just about last person off, first person on immediately.

Marty, I'd like you to show me evidence that Virgin and Tiger have cleaners that come on, vacuum, wipe down and collect rubbish during turns-arounds.
Cabin crew do it as part of their job, they are required to go through the whole aircraft all seat pockets are cleaned out rubbish removed and the cabin is vacumed with hand vacum cleaners,and seatbelts crossed, catering is all done by the caters and then boarding starts once catering have left and the aircraft has been cleaned, takes all of ten minutes to do out of a half an hour turn around.
Old 18th May 2008, 09:12 PM

Although i am a bit Bias to JQ, I have to put my few cents in......

I do agree that on a few occasions I have been on an A/C that is a bit dirty, greasy finger prints on windows all over tray tables and the seat in front.
I just ask for a cloth. And wiped over myself.

But I always take my rubbish and tidy up my seat pocket too..
Its just courtesy in my opinion.

But on the flipside just imagine... you can see the greasy prints on the leather... then they can be wiped clean... what about 'cloth' seats.....Just soak the grease and food smears in and disappear into the cloth... yuk...