Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > International Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th December 2008, 06:00 PM

Default A380 superjumbo too quiet, say pilots

Quote:
The Airbus A380 superjumbo is so quiet it's stopping pilots from sleeping during rest breaks on long-haul flights, according to reports. Flight International says Emirates pilots have complained that the lack of engine noise is preventing them from sleeping in the crew rest area.

The constant buzz of engine noise usually drowns out the sounds of passengers, but pilots says they are being kept awake by crying babies, flushing toilets and call bells. The airline has asked Airbus for a solution to the problem, the website reports. "We are expecting to hear back from them by the middle of the month," Emirates senior vice-president, fleet, Captain Ed Davidson is quoted as saying.

The relative quietness of the A380 has been much talked about since the aircraft first took to the skies last year, with many passengers surprised that the world's largest airliner could also be one of the quietest - even during landing and take-off. "We're getting a lot of complaints. It's not something we expected," Davidson said. "On our other aircraft, the engines drown out the cabin noise. (On the A380) the pilots sleep with earplugs but the cabin noise goes straight through them."

Flight International says the interior layout of the Emirates A380, which is different from that of Singapore and Qantas' superjumbo interiors, places the crew rest area at the rear of the main deck, rather than behind the cockpit.
theage.com.au
Old 5th December 2008, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayden Laing View Post
The Airbus A380 superjumbo is so quiet it's stopping pilots from sleeping during rest breaks on long-haul flights, according to reports. Flight International says Emirates pilots have complained that the lack of engine noise is preventing them from sleeping in the crew rest area.
Noise Cancelling headphones, I'm sure the pilots can do what we the passengers do, else they can find another job they like with less noise.

A simple $100 set of Sony NC22 would do the trick. I'm on my third pair, looking for my 4th on my next trip.

Please post the link to the story, if quoted.

Last edited by Tom Lohdan; 5th December 2008 at 06:54 PM.
Old 5th December 2008, 07:37 PM
Prolific Member

A simple search of www.theage.com.au as quoted in the original post revealed this...
http://www.theage.com.au/travel/a380...1205-6s1x.html
Old 5th December 2008, 08:39 PM

Have you ever tried sleeping in a bed with headphones on? Its rather difficult, I can assure you that.
Old 5th December 2008, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lohdan View Post
A simple $100 set of Sony NC22 would do the trick. I'm on my third pair, looking for my 4th on my next trip.
Even cheaper and more effective: http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/ultrafit25.html
Or Etymotic's noise isolating earphones (no batteries required): http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6i.aspx
I wear them every day and it's still the first pair.
Cheers,
Siggy
Old 5th December 2008, 10:12 PM

I agree. The engines may be quieter, but the airconditioning is still at the same volume....
Old 6th December 2008, 05:35 AM

There seems to be a distinct whining noise on the 380.

Originates from the flight crew.
Old 6th December 2008, 06:24 AM

Noise canceling headphones attached to an iPod playing 'The Sound Of Round' should do the trick
Old 6th December 2008, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenden S View Post
Have you ever tried sleeping in a bed with headphones on? Its rather difficult, I can assure you that.
Those QF noise cancelling headphone are a must for me when I fly. They do the trick for me.

This also proves my point! Pilots are the biggest whingers on earth.
Old 6th December 2008, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenden S View Post
For you maybe, I do 100K per year with NC22's and they are also highly rated by other flyers, who don't like the size of the Bose units and a cheaper solution.

Often I leave them in with cancel on, nothing playing just for the noise cancel.

Which set of NC headphones do you own Brenden?