Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th August 2008, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Mottram View Post
G'day Andrew,

The Mirage book sold out a while ago now. The only ones I have left are the special, collector's editions that Paul and I put together but they're not cheap.

It's been a while since I last e-mailed Roger but he didn't seem keen to reprint them any time soon.

I look forward to the chance to catch up if we can all get the time. Are you coming for something in particular or just the chance to photograph the Eagles?

Cheers,
Motty.
Will hopefully be spending a few hours on base for an article we're doing on the GCI Course. Should find out Monday which day.

How much are the collector's editions? I could swap you a signed hard-cover Hornet book if you like?

Cheers
Old 29th August 2008, 08:38 PM

I'll be in Newcastle both tomorrow & Sun, does anyone know if there will be some action over the weekend? If I had to pick a rough time when would be the best bet to catch some action? Lastly where is the spot to grab a looksee? I was just looking at Google maps and Medowie Rd there looks ok?
Old 29th August 2008, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt N. View Post
I'll be in Newcastle both tomorrow & Sun, does anyone know if there will be some action over the weekend? If I had to pick a rough time when would be the best bet to catch some action? Lastly where is the spot to grab a looksee? I was just looking at Google maps and Medowie Rd there looks ok?
Yes, Medowie rd is the spot, or the observation deck at the Fighterworld museum.

Sorry though Matt. I'm afraid our country is undefended on weekends. There won't be any military flying at Willietown over the weekend.

Cheers,
Motty.
Old 29th August 2008, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew McLaughlin View Post
How much are the collector's editions? I could swap you a signed hard-cover Hornet book if you like?
Cheers
G'day again Andrew,

As much as I'd like one of your Hornet books, and I appreciate the offer, I need to actually sell these books as half the money still goes to Paul's wife and family.

The books are $250. They have the signatures of the 7 RAAF pilots who accumulated over 3000 hrs, Serge Dassault (son of Marcel), Juanita Franzi (the book's artist) Faye Mason (on behalf of Paul) and myself.

There were originally only 20 numbered copies made available for sale and quite a few of those have already gone.

Cheers,
Motty.

Last edited by Darren Mottram; 29th August 2008 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Fixed omissions.
Old 29th August 2008, 09:54 PM

Here's what some of it looked like up here.

After watching them go crazy all week, they behaved themselves today. This was the only one that got a little boisterous.

This one seems to have some new nose art commemorating the trip. It says something about Downunder and I can make out a cartoon Kangaroo and an Eagle but I just can't quite make out the details.

The Sydney formation made a pass over the base on their way back.

On the pitch.

And another.

Hope you like 'em.

Cheers,
Motty.

Last edited by Darren Mottram; 29th August 2008 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Sorry, replied to wrong post.
Old 29th August 2008, 11:12 PM

awesome shots darren, did anyone get any of them over sydney harbour?
Old 30th August 2008, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Mottram View Post
G'day again Andrew,

As much as I'd like one of your Hornet books, and I appreciate the offer, I need to actually sell these books as half the money still goes to Paul's wife and family.

The books are $250. They have the signatures of the 7 RAAF pilots who accumulated over 3000 hrs, Serge Dassault (son of Marcel), Juanita Franzi (the book's artist) Faye Mason (on behalf of Paul) and myself.

There were originally only 20 numbered copies made available for sale and quite a few of those have already gone.

Cheers,
Motty.
Fair enough - consider a Hornet book yours anyway, and I might bring some money next week for a Mirage book. I'll PM when I know when I'm coming up.

Cheers
Old 30th August 2008, 09:17 AM

Heres some vid from NBN

http://www.nbntv.com.au/index.php/20...s-in-training/

And the ministers Press Release

http://www.minister.defence.gov.au/F...CurrentId=8151

And an interesting article this morning in the Fairfax press about the HUG and only 10 planes being done.

http://news.smh.com.au/national/defe...0829-45h5.html

Whens the BBQ in Brisvegas Muzzdog??

Soon..
No where. Where should I go?

Last edited by Stephen Brown; 30th August 2008 at 09:30 AM.
Old 1st September 2008, 03:31 PM

Default Busy Morning

It was a little busy this morning at Williamtown,

Using 30 in great light,

We saw 20 Hornets, 4 Eagles, KC135, VBI, VUM, OTD, OTE, TAH, TLH, OZD.

OZD - Ozjet actually hit a plover on rotation and had to return to check for possible damage - to the plane!

Also the previously mentioned crew change happened on Saturday with another KC135 passing through Williamtown (@ 4.15pm)

ChrisP

Last edited by Chris Primmer; 1st September 2008 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Update Info
Old 1st September 2008, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Primmer View Post
OZD - Ozjet actually hit a plover on rotation and had to return to check for possible damage - to the plane!
One less Plover in the world!!!