Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th December 2010, 09:00 PM

Default A380 off 25

I guess it has happened before but tonight QF31 with an A380 used runway 25. At Hurstville its altitude was only around 600m. In my many years living here I have never seen a commercial plane so low. It must have been slow to takeoff as well as the following Tiger A320 had to make some interesting changes on approach. See Flighttracker at 6:40pm.
Old 20th December 2010, 09:15 PM

At the time I had just crossed the cooks river bridge and was caught in the traffic jam between Kogarah Golf Course and the Mecure.. it caught me by surprise but it didn't seem too low to me, it was reasonably windy and when I first saw it the crew was adjusting the nose up angle somewhat
Old 20th December 2010, 10:20 PM

Saw it also (but from Bankstown so wasn't as impressive ). Was the first commercial flight of that a/c, VH-OQG
Old 20th December 2010, 11:46 PM

I was in the back of a Virgin 738 unloading when I saw it take off. It looked like it rotated at about the main runway maybe a bit before. Looked pretty good though.
Old 21st December 2010, 05:38 AM

I was fortunate enough to be at the end of RW25 yesterday afternoon and it was great to see QF's latest A380 depart, kicking up plenty of dust.

Cheers
Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VH-OQG-SYD-5.jpg (38.4 KB, 176 views)
Old 21st December 2010, 07:06 AM

A little further to the south and a.net coudl update its masthead!
Old 21st December 2010, 06:17 PM

I was visiting the parents who live near the golf range. I was packing the back of the car and looking over as I heard something taking off. The first thing that I could think is this is massive. I have taken a few shots of the 380 already but I could not appreciate it's size, as it was always in big open spaces (as you would expect). This time I was standing in the lane way, and it just filled up my field of view. It was an amazing sight. Another thing I noticed it was quiet for such a giant.
Old 25th December 2010, 04:56 PM

My family and I were on SQ231 that landed on Tuesday 21/12/10 on runway 25, it vacated onto taxiway Yankee and proceeded straight to bay 57. We flew south of the airport and had a great scenic view on approach.