Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Radar Spotting

Old 14th September 2013, 11:15 AM

Question 'BLOCKED' aircraft looks to be YSSY bound

A heads-up for those in the Sydney region

Been watching a flight over Ayers Rock, now South of Alice coming up on Flightradar24 as 'BLOCKED'. He's out of range of my ADS-B setup so I can't give you the ICAO-24 code, but he looks to be bound for Sydney at FL470. Haven't yet heard anything talking to Melbourne Center that sounds like this fella...

Curious as to what this is - my guess is a biz-jet of sorts... First time I've ever seen a 'BLOCKED' aircraft...

Cheers,
Geoff
- PPL (C172/PA28)
- SBS-3+VirtualRadarServer
Old 14th September 2013, 11:51 AM

Hi Geoff,

I have noticed now that most bizjets around mostly show up on flightradar24 and Plane finder as 'Blocked' or their aircraft type. e.g 'CL60' or 'GLF4', 'GLF5', 'GLEX' etc.

From December 2013 all aircraft that plan to fly above FL290 must be ADSB equipped. I am happy to be corrected on that statement, but that is what I understand from the Air Services Australia website.

My Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/53284949@N05/
Old 14th September 2013, 11:23 PM

How come FlightRadar24 has little or no info but a simple search on Flightaware you can flind A/C, Tail Number and Route?
Old 15th September 2013, 09:40 AM

FR24 is following the FAA BARR (Blocked Aircraft Registration Request) list http://www.nbaa.org/ops/security/barr/

Some planes will not even appear in FR24 or in the Archives. The BARR list is specific...a/c on the list should not appear on any public websites.

The process is easy to be added to the BARR list and was recently changed (Aug) so there are more and more Aircraft opting in.

Plane Plotter is a private/commercial website, so they don't use the BARR list, however FlightAware/PlaneFinder do follow the BARR list.

The aircraft in question yesterday was a US registered G450

If you have the FR24 App, searching for BLOCKED will normally produce 1 result all the time.

On a side note, it would be nice to have a car icon for the ModeS cars in SYD
Old 15th September 2013, 04:52 PM

Thanks Tom, I didn't know about "BARR"
I guess even when the ADSB deadline comes into effect, many aircraft will still be missing.

These attachment are what I was talking about when it comes to the difference between FlightRadar & Flightaware with it's Tail Number & Destination

Last edited by David N; 16th May 2014 at 08:10 PM.
Old 15th September 2013, 07:28 PM

There are different levels of blocking. The aircraft type as per Stefan's post and your attachment, BLOCKED and completely hidden depending on the source.

This explains it abit further in detail http://www.radarspotters.eu/forum/in...p?topic=7712.0

I'm guessing FR and FlightAware are using different rules on how to process the information. FR has stated in their Forums they will follow the BARR list and will not explain it in their FAQ.

Not that is really makes much difference if you are willing to pay for a commercial product.

CASA ADSB requirements will be a long process, but they will have a similar BARR list requirement, hence the Police choppers flying over my house every night not showing.

Dec 2013: All operations at and above FL290
Feb 2014: Aircraft operated under the IFR first registered in Australia after 6 Feb 2014. Feb 2016: In large parts of Western Australia (Airspace classes A, B, C and E).
(This is co-incident with the mandatory requirement to fit GNSS to all IFR aircraft for navigation in Australian airspace.)
Feb 2017: All IFR operations at all flight levels

Soon it will be mostly Commerical Aircraft as everyone will just opt-out, they don't need to specify a security concern anymore.

Last edited by Tom Lohdan; 15th September 2013 at 07:33 PM.
Old 16th September 2013, 01:17 PM
Prolific Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lohdan View Post
Why on earth would you want to see where the cars are driving around??
Old 16th September 2013, 02:37 PM
YSSY Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lohdan View Post
I've got one for PP if you need one.