Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion

Old 24th August 2013, 06:06 PM

Default Advice on China Southern

Hi all,

There appears to be plenty of web links and media articles on the forum about China Southern but does anyone have any personal experience with them? Am looking at flying them to Kathmandu next year.

Flights would more then likely be on the A380 to China and then an A319.

Cheers

M
Old 25th August 2013, 08:51 AM

My mother travelled with them a month ago - old A330's SYD to Guangzhou and back, 787 Guangzhou to Beijing and A380 Bejing to Guangzhou.

She said the A330s were rubbish - the 787 was the highlight but the A380 was pretty good. She said the service and food weren't that good either so as long as you have low expectations, you won't be disappointed.
Old 25th August 2013, 12:51 PM

Maybe Thai via Bangkok? Only issue is delay between flights.
Old 25th August 2013, 01:01 PM

Thanks Sarah. I wont be expecting much and do like mixing airlines up a bit with traveling on a slightly unusual route. You mums comments seem to on par with the recent posts on Skytrax.

Adrian, have looked at TG and MH, both transits are longer then what CZ offer, however not a terribly long time either.

Price is a big point at the moment. CZ have fares at less then $1,100 return. TG and MH seem to be close to or over $1,500.00

Cheers

M
Old 25th August 2013, 02:59 PM

Mark,
I flew with China Southern in 2006 and again in 2008/2009 and what Sarah posted would be my response also. The food was just ok along with the service. Both flights were A330.
The thing that really cheesed me off was, as soon as they fed you they had all the window shutters closed. It was from around midday till TOD around 4.30 local time. Did not see any of Australia's outback or top end.
I have also flown with Air China, China Eastern and China Airlines. All would be on par with China Southern, and all had the window shutters closed for the entire flight. Air China was a night flight so it did not matter.
I also flew domestic with China Southern, same experience. Aircraft were "very used".

Brian
Old 25th August 2013, 07:50 PM

Thanks Brian.

Window shutters are a bugbear of mine to. Had a similar experience on EK last year. The 0600 departure to Dubai, daylight flight the whole way, shutters down the whole flight. Very frustrating!

Cheers

M
Old 26th August 2013, 07:14 AM

flew them from SIN-CAN-PEK late last year and it was ok. The first sector was night so I didn't get to sample anything but the PEK flight was on the A380 & upper deck, food was, well, ordinary to say the least.

Next Flights:
MEL-HKG-HND-HKG-JFK-HKG-NRT-HKG-MEL/CX
Old 27th August 2013, 03:51 PM

My daughter flew with CZ from Sydney to London last year. Aircraft and service were acceptable, but the evening departure is dangerously close to the YSSY curfew, with little margin for delay of the inbound aircraft.

The worst happened, but at least she had a home to go back to unlike many other pax.

To make it worse, the ground staff in Sydney and Guangzhou did not provide regular updates or explain what was happening with missed connecting flights.

Very stressful, and she will never travel with them again. Why can't airlines (and lots of other organisations) get the message that if they tell you what's going on customers will accept the situation and make the best of it. If they're kept in the dark the carrier may have made enemies for life.
Old 27th August 2013, 05:25 PM

I would steer clear of any Chinese carrier... But that's my opinion...
Old 27th August 2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Collins View Post
I would steer clear of any Chinese carrier... But that's my opinion...
Why?

Posting on here I'm obviously after all opinions but also like some justification.

Never expected CZ to get raving reviews, but interested as reasons behind comments.

I've not read anything yet which has turned me off the idea of flying CZ.

If anything has got me more excited about avoiding a main stream airline...if flying Chinas largest airline can be described as 'non mainstream'.

Cheers

M