Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th November 2009, 10:56 PM

Russell,

If the medical side ends up being your preferred choice of career you maybe inetrested to know that I've instructed 3 Doctors in my time - all of whom were getting licenses to fly themselves from a capital city out to regional towns that they worked in from time to time. They tell me that this is a fantastic tax deduction (guess it beats claiming dry cleaning!).

One has since retired and I fly him now and then out to a private strip in his Baron - this aircraft has equpiment that would envy most turboprop pilots! I don't think he quite realises what a nice plane he has....

Motto to the story - you can still combine both passions - I've also found these 3 doctors to be very easy to teach - the diciplines actually share similiar characteristics and they are generally very aware of human behaviours & faults (so they tend to not take overt risks!), they generally have good hand/eye coordination and understand the concepts that relate to physics very easily - their rather high disposable incomes also seemed to help them become aircraft owners!
Old 30th November 2009, 11:29 AM

Ahh, thanks Mick. It is amazing how hard pilots, flight nurses, and doctors in the RFDS work and what an invaluable contribution they make to the lives of people living in rural/remote Australia.

I do remember reading this article not too long ago: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1225762524449
I sure hope the states change their mind and instead put their time and money into funding the RFDS.

Adam, thanks for sharing. I found that a very interesting read, and no doubt it has opened up a possible avenue for me to pursue...although a Baron might be a bit too rich for me