Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Technical > Flying and Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th January 2010, 01:01 PM

Default Restricted items in hand luggage??

Hi All,

What is the current YSSY policy regarding what you can take in your hand luggage?
Are you able to take personable items ie shaver, cream, aftershave, deodorant? Does it still have to be in a clear plastic bag?
Cheers
Old 8th January 2010, 01:57 PM
Prolific Member

I don't think it's so much a YSSY policy, but rather an airline policy.

I'd suggest you might check the booking terms and conditions for the airline you're flying.
Old 8th January 2010, 03:12 PM

If it is about bringing liquid onboard, it is Department of Transport who set the rules.

Travel Secure

And if it is about dangerous items, it is CASA.

CASA

---------

My first A380 flight in December
Old 8th January 2010, 05:29 PM

The policy is set by the government of the departing (and transit) countries.

Some routes may have extra specific checks as requested by the arrival destinations regulatory authorities (such as extra TSA restrictions in force for the USA).

Have a look here for more information on specific destinations...
http://www.smarttraveller.gov.au/

The airlines have little (if any) input in what the regulatory authorities of individual countries decide to allow on aircraft.

You appear to be referring to L.A.G's restrictions in your above post - the above website has details on those.
Old 8th January 2010, 06:59 PM

A somewhat related question - I have a Gorillapod Focus and am just wondering if anyone has ever tried taking it on a flight, and whether they've had any problems going through security. It's very lightweight (much lighter than any tripod I have) and is quite short (maybe 30cm or so).

I will be travelling through the US with it, so if anyone has had any issues specifically with US security, I'd love to know.

Cheers
Old 8th January 2010, 11:39 PM

It seems a bit confusing.
I will have a further look into it. It is nothing I can not buy when I get there but I just can not be bothered with the hassel if I can avoid it

Thanks
Old 12th January 2010, 02:53 PM

Default Gorillapod

I took one these to UK in my carry on luggage and had no trouble with security in Sydney, KL,Amsterdam, Oslo and Leeds/ Bradford. They were more concerned with liquids etc.

Forthcoming flights
To be advised.
Old 13th January 2010, 06:04 AM

Carl - If you are flying domestically then there is no restriction apart from flammable goods. Providing you are not trying to take a huge can of hair spray in your carry on personal items are not restricted. As security are concerned about aerosols (they are worried about mace) these need to be removed from your bag and placed in a tray (they also need to have a lid or locking device to prevent them going off in your bag).

For international this is 100ml or 100g is the max size for any liquid, gel, paste or aerosol. They must fit inside a single clear zip lock/ snaplock plastic bag and you cannot have more than 1L in total. Your plastic bag must be removed from carry on and xrayed on its own as well. Note, the container size must be no bigger than 100ml. You cannot take say a 250ml container that is half full.

Hope this helps.
Old 13th January 2010, 09:54 AM

Just note that Kelvin has provided you with Australian regulations - check out the websites we've given for links to requirements in other countries.

If for example you are travelling domestically in the USA then those LAGS restrictions are valid for domestic travel as well.
Old 18th January 2010, 07:32 AM

Thanks again, I will check it out