Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th August 2008, 11:26 PM

Default Connecting JQ from QF???

I am planning to go to the Whitsundays from Melbourne, which requires 1 connection Brisbane.

JQ 830/QF 5830 From Brisbane leaves at 1305, so the latest Qantas flight I can take is QF 612, arriving at 1210. However, if you book on Qantas website, the latest flight you can only book is QF 610, arriving at 1110 to connect JQ 830. However, QF 610 is $14 more expensive than 612.

Furthermore, I can book the whole journey on Qantas website, but it seems a direct booking is more expensive, so I decided to book seperately. In addition, booking directly can enable myself to select my favourite seat and may choose JetLight.

Since there is only ONE (1) service to Whitsundays daily, I CANNOT miss my JQ 830. Would you advise me to take QF 610 or QF 612 be safest?

Furthermore, on the day of travel, since I would be in 2 different booking no on the same QF Frequent Flyer membership, may I request in Melbourne to pre check-in my JQ 830 and issue a boarding pass with QF 5830 and my checked luggage tag to Whitsundays WITHOUT claiming at Brisbane and check-in again?

Thank you very much and appreciate for your reply.
Old 29th August 2008, 11:42 PM

I think you have to collect checked luggage from JQ and then check in at QF in BNE, Arthur. Of course if you are travelling Jetlite this is not relevant.

As long as you are able to check in to JQ in BNE no less than 30 mins before your flight to Whitsundays (40 mins with checked baggage) , I don't think it makes any difference how you do the booking.
Old 29th August 2008, 11:49 PM

For domestic QF to JQ connections, you have to pick up your bags and re-check them in with JQ.
Old 30th August 2008, 12:36 AM

always give yourself more time to connect than the minimum connection time. That $12 could be the difference of you getting there or not getting there.
Old 30th August 2008, 02:03 AM

If $14 is a problem don't go to the Whitsundays
Old 30th August 2008, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony T View Post
If $14 is a problem don't go to the Whitsundays

Was going to say...are you that worried about $14? Are you going to eat dry biscuits and water on your holiday in the Whitsundays?

Pay the $14 and at least be safe with connecting time!
Old 30th August 2008, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel M View Post
Was going to say...are you that worried about $14? Are you going to eat dry biscuits and water on your holiday in the Whitsundays?

Pay the $14 and at least be safe with connecting time!
I am not that worried about $14, just think it might not so worth. I am okay if $14 more.

Thanks for the above advice, then I would think of booking on the same ticket on QF website for all legs.

However, I want to know how I can request and pay (as it needs $30 extra) on my JQ 830 for an Emergency Exit Row or Row 1 if I book through Qantas website?

Because you need to pay $30 for JetSaver and even JetFlex I still need to request otherwise it would be taken up.

Thanks.

I am not so worry about QF, but seriously, that is my first time to take JQ or a budget carrier, as I usually prefer a full service carrier and I got to earn my Frequent Flyer pts as I have a few long haul sector every year.

Last edited by Arthur T; 30th August 2008 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Supplementary to Original Post
Old 31st August 2008, 05:13 PM

Why do you insist on booking both sectors on the Qantas website? What advantages does that give you - besides printing a nice little "QF" codeshare number on your Jetstar boarding pass?

Even if you book both legs on QF as QF612 and QF5830 you will still need to collect your checked luggage at BNE and proceed to JQ check-in area for your PPP flight. That will not change.

Regarding what you said here; "Furthermore, I can book the whole journey on Qantas website, but it seems a direct booking is more expensive, so I decided to book seperately. In addition, booking directly can enable myself to select my favourite seat and may choose JetLight."

I take it you mean if you book the two sectors separately then it would be less expensive, ie. booking MEL-BNE on QF site and booking BNE-PPP on JQ site? Doing it this way you'll have the option during the booking process of selecting your seat on JQ and paying $30 for that exit row seat.

But you said booking "directly" will enable you to do this? I thought your defintion of booking directly was booking both legs on the QF site, therefore I don't think you'd get the seat selector option for your JQ flight would you?

And also why would you be choosing the JetSaver Light fare if you just mentioned you'll have checked luggage to transfer between flights in BNE?
Old 1st September 2008, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur T View Post
Because you need to pay $30 for JetSaver and even JetFlex...
You do not pay the $30 for JetFlex tickets, as far as I can tell.