Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements

Old 7th April 2008, 09:11 PM

Default United Airlines in Sydney

After spotting last wednesday, i noticed something interesting with the two United Airlines flights.
UA840 which came in from Melbourne, left Sydney as the flight heading for SFO and ORD as UA870. This plane was in the 'old' silver united livery. Whilst the plane that did leave as UA840 for LAX was the 'new' blue livery.

Can anyone shed some light on this change of planes in Sydney for UA840, or was it the simple fact that the flight from melbourne was running late(40mins due to the wind storm),and planes were just swapped?
Old 7th April 2008, 09:51 PM

they almost always switch and I'm not 100% sure why it happens...the SYD-LAX 747 turns around in LA and does the LAX-NRT flight and the LAX-JFK leg is on the 757.

the SYD-SFO 747 usually goes on to Frankfurt and the ORD sector is done by 757. I'm sure Mike Scott can shed some light on this...

Next Flights:
MEL-HKG-HND-HKG-JFK-HKG-NRT-HKG-MEL/CX
Old 7th April 2008, 10:19 PM

Not 100% sure but i think SFO does maintenance,so,they change when checks are needed.As i said not 100% sure, but someone else might be able to help more.
Old 8th April 2008, 09:16 PM

well, out of Sydney, the LAX flight leaves earlier than the SFO flight. Rotating aircraft gives them more time to service and clean the aircraft ex-MEL. After the plane arrives Melbourne, the pax from Melbourne (not a lot of them, usually around 100?) have to go onto the aerobridge and wait in the gate lounge to board the other aircraft.

In the morning, the flights from SFO and LAX both arrive at a similar time (within 30 minutes) so either of them can go to Melbourne (if one breaks down etc.).