Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old 9th July 2020, 07:47 PM
Robbie J Robbie J is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 49
Default

Which exact carpark are we talking about? There appears to be conflicting information around. The staff car park at the International Terminal is a good spot, but officially it's currently closed if I'm not mistaken. Depending on your luck on the day, you could be asked to leave, or you could stand there for hours. So, who knows, especially at an uncertain time like this.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10th July 2020, 08:17 AM
Sean L Sean L is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Sydney
Posts: 366
Default

I myself have only been to 2 spotting areas in Sydney, the beach and sheps mound. I plan to go to the carpark for VH-OEJ's departure on the 22nd as it is the only spotting area accessible by public transport. I've been told the famous carpark spotting area is the top level of P7 parking near the International terminal. Currently the only way I know how to get there is to stop at the international train station, walk to the pick up area and on the way you'll find ramps or lifts that'll take you up to the top level. Please correct me if I'm talking about the wrong carpark. Also, I currently know nothing about the domestic carpark and whether it is used as a spotting area. If it is, how do we get there? Does it cost money?
__________________
YSSY plane spotter since 2018.
Camera: Canon EOS 1000D
Lens: EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-F5.6 II & EF 75-300mm F4-F5.6 III
Aircraft to see wish list: A̶1̶2̶4̶, IL76, A400, A225, AN12, A300, A310, EUFI, C5, F22
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10th July 2020, 09:24 AM
Bob Kimmings Bob Kimmings is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 4
Default

Sean, turn right out of the international station, go out of the terminal exit and cross the road. Walk down the little road beside Rydges and turn right. There you will find 4 lifts. I don't know if they are working in these dodgy times
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10th July 2020, 10:06 AM
Sean L Sean L is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Sydney
Posts: 366
Default

Ah, so it isn't the P7 carpark? Thanks
Edit: Oh wait I think that's the way up to the top of the P7 carpark...
__________________
YSSY plane spotter since 2018.
Camera: Canon EOS 1000D
Lens: EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-F5.6 II & EF 75-300mm F4-F5.6 III
Aircraft to see wish list: A̶1̶2̶4̶, IL76, A400, A225, AN12, A300, A310, EUFI, C5, F22

Last edited by Sean L; 10th July 2020 at 10:36 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10th July 2020, 01:32 PM
Kent Broadhead Kent Broadhead is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Dulwich Hill
Posts: 399
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kimmings View Post
Sean, turn right out of the international station, go out of the terminal exit and cross the road. Walk down the little road beside Rydges and turn right. There you will find 4 lifts. I don't know if they are working in these dodgy times
The lifts and almost all lighting have been off in P6 for weeks. I usually ride my bike there (about to head out now), cross-the L2 bridge from P7 pass through P6 and cycle up the ramps for the exercise. I admit that I go under a single barrier to do this.

If people are there, please put your rubbish in the bin - it's over in front of the lifts. I hope it hasn't been people from this board leaving stuff there, but I picked up several weeks' of rubbish last Friday, and there was more trash sitting there on Sunday.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12th July 2020, 07:43 AM
Robbie J Robbie J is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 49
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean L View Post
I currently know nothing about the domestic carpark and whether it is used as a spotting area. If it is, how do we get there? Does it cost money?
Sean L., you can spot from anywhere with a view.

The Domestic Terminal airport is not the best vantage point unless you want views looking due south, mostly. You can see the East-West runway (which has been closed for some time) or the smaller parallel runway, which is east of the main runway. (However, the smaller parallel runway is very distant when viewed from the Domestic car park. For photos, you'd need a long lens. For spotting, the two car parks along Foreshore Road will get you much closer to that runway.)

There is no cost involved at the Domestic car park, unless you want to park-and-pay, but you've said you're relying on public transport, so it'll be free.

Considering that there's no cost involved, maybe check it out, but the placement of the Domestic car park is not ideal for spotting or photos, and some of that carpark (the most easterly end) is currently closed.

Considering that the airport car parks are all as empty as the airport itself, don't expect too much action during the current era.

The two spots you mentioned, Shep's Mound and the beach, are both good locations, as you've discovered for yourself.

(The beach is called Tower Beach, but I don't know if that is its official name on maps and in government officialdom - it seems to have gotten that nickname from its old air-traffic Control Tower that became dis-used when the newer tower was built beside Shep's Mound.)

Part of the fun can be exploring for new and dynamic vantage points.

At the north end of the main runway, you might like Swamp Road. Most people do. It can be reached on King Street South / The Princes Highway. You turn off near the large Ikea store.

The best section of Swamp Road for spotting is adjacent to the container terminal storage facility that runs from Tempe Reserve all the way up to Ikea. By public transport, I guess the best way to get there is to take a train to Tempe Station and cut across.

Edit: Public Transport:
- Bus 400 (which runs from Bondi Junction to Burwood) goes to the Domestic and International terminals.
- Trains go directly to both airport terminals from the city but are over-priced.
- Buses to the Mascot Shops will get you within walking distance of the Domestic Terminal and the private jet base near McDonalds and KFC.
- A train to Tempe Station will get you within ten minutes walk of the International Terminal.
- Any bus that goes along Grand Parade will get you to Tower Beach. (Alight at the Endeavour Bridge over Cooks River.)
- The beaches south of Tower Beach (Kyeemagh Beach and Bright-Le-Sands beach) are also nice spots for viewing the main runway.

Last edited by Robbie J; 12th July 2020 at 10:03 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12th July 2020, 10:15 AM
Robbie J Robbie J is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 49
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Broadhead View Post
I usually ride my bike there (about to head out now), cross-the L2 bridge from P7 pass through P6 and cycle up the ramps for the exercise. I admit that I go under a single barrier to do this.
Ten speed bicycle, red jacket?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12th July 2020, 11:07 AM
Kent Broadhead Kent Broadhead is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Dulwich Hill
Posts: 399
Default

Mountain bike (27 speed) but mostly red top (not jacket)

I think I’ve met the person you’re thinking of.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12th July 2020, 06:06 PM
Sean L Sean L is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Sydney
Posts: 366
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie J View Post
Sean L., you can spot from anywhere with a view.

The Domestic Terminal airport is not the best vantage point unless you want views looking due south, mostly. You can see the East-West runway (which has been closed for some time) or the smaller parallel runway, which is east of the main runway. (However, the smaller parallel runway is very distant when viewed from the Domestic car park. For photos, you'd need a long lens. For spotting, the two car parks along Foreshore Road will get you much closer to that runway.)

There is no cost involved at the Domestic car park, unless you want to park-and-pay, but you've said you're relying on public transport, so it'll be free.

Considering that there's no cost involved, maybe check it out, but the placement of the Domestic car park is not ideal for spotting or photos, and some of that carpark (the most easterly end) is currently closed.

Considering that the airport car parks are all as empty as the airport itself, don't expect too much action during the current era.

The two spots you mentioned, Shep's Mound and the beach, are both good locations, as you've discovered for yourself.

(The beach is called Tower Beach, but I don't know if that is its official name on maps and in government officialdom - it seems to have gotten that nickname from its old air-traffic Control Tower that became dis-used when the newer tower was built beside Shep's Mound.)

Part of the fun can be exploring for new and dynamic vantage points.

At the north end of the main runway, you might like Swamp Road. Most people do. It can be reached on King Street South / The Princes Highway. You turn off near the large Ikea store.

The best section of Swamp Road for spotting is adjacent to the container terminal storage facility that runs from Tempe Reserve all the way up to Ikea. By public transport, I guess the best way to get there is to take a train to Tempe Station and cut across.

Edit: Public Transport:
- Bus 400 (which runs from Bondi Junction to Burwood) goes to the Domestic and International terminals.
- Trains go directly to both airport terminals from the city but are over-priced.
- Buses to the Mascot Shops will get you within walking distance of the Domestic Terminal and the private jet base near McDonalds and KFC.
- A train to Tempe Station will get you within ten minutes walk of the International Terminal.
- Any bus that goes along Grand Parade will get you to Tower Beach. (Alight at the Endeavour Bridge over Cooks River.)
- The beaches south of Tower Beach (Kyeemagh Beach and Bright-Le-Sands beach) are also nice spots for viewing the main runway.
Thanks for the info, greatly appreciated.
__________________
YSSY plane spotter since 2018.
Camera: Canon EOS 1000D
Lens: EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-F5.6 II & EF 75-300mm F4-F5.6 III
Aircraft to see wish list: A̶1̶2̶4̶, IL76, A400, A225, AN12, A300, A310, EUFI, C5, F22
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 13th July 2020, 07:49 AM
Robbie J Robbie J is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 49
Default

No worries. Also try the Nigel Love Bridge at the north end of the main north/south runway. It is situated on Airport Drive, which is the road that runs between the International and Domestic terminals.

Please also note that when I said "the Domestic Terminal airport is not the best vantage point unless you want views looking due south, mostly" I actually meant to say "the Domestic Terminal car park is not the best vantage point unless you want views looking due south, mostly."

Let us know how you go. YSSY is a big place... a car, scooter or bicycle would assist you greatly.

Last edited by Robbie J; 13th July 2020 at 07:57 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 05:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright Sydney Airport Message Board 1997-2016
Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the Conditions of Use and Privacy Statement