Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 31st August 2010, 10:03 AM

Default Rego Request: DJ479 SYD to MCY today

G'day...

Does anybody know the rego of the aircraft that operated DJ479 at 9.00am this morning please?

Thanks,

Steve S
Old 31st August 2010, 01:30 PM

I am pretty sure it was VH-VBO.

I worked it out today by tracking via acars for MEL, SYD and ADL and also the Adelaide Airport website.

It overnighted in ADL last night after a MEL-ADL flight, then today did ADL-SYD-MCY-SYD-BNK-SYD-PER.
Old 31st August 2010, 02:46 PM

Steve,
You are correct, VH-VBO did operate DJ479 to MCY
Old 1st September 2010, 10:10 PM

Hi Steve,

VH-VBO has operated DJ383 this evening into Townsville from Brissy. VBO will operate DJ362 TSV to BNE at 0600 tomorrow morning.

Just a question if I may? You say that you tracked VBO via acars. Only Virgin E-Jets send acars messages, the Boeing 737's do not. Can you enlighten me? I am curious.

Cheers,
Dave.
Old 2nd September 2010, 11:12 AM

Hi Dave,

It was very complicated - the way I worked out what aircraft it was.

I did not need any acars details apart from to see regos and times.

I firstly looked up the www.sydneyairport.com.au site. I looked at the gate the SYD-MCY flight was to depart from. So then to find where the aircraft came from - I looked up the arrivals into that gate in SYD - and the aircraft came in from ADL.

So I went to the www.aal.com.au website, and looked up the gate it in ADL. It was a 6am departure from ADL gate 15. It had overnighted so I then looked up the available acars report for the arrivals into ADL the evening before to see what flight arrived into gate 15 to overnight. The aircraft came from MEL at 7.30pm.

So I went to both ADL and MEL acars for that day, and checked the DJ rego's to see what aircraft was both in MEL and ADL around the relevant times. I narrowed it down to VBJ and VBO. So to rule out VBJ... it went into a different gate at ADL, and I believe it went MEL-CBR-ADL.

It is possible to track any aircraft. By a process of elimination... it is a real brain teaser usually, but I have fun doing it.

Yes, I am an Accountant LOL!!
Old 2nd September 2010, 03:27 PM

Thanks Steve. Oh, don't worry about being an accountant mate. I am no accountant but do the same as you when I want to track a certain aircraft around the country for various reasons.

Qantas and Jetstar are easier to track because they use Acars. Virgin is always the main challenge, but like you, I enjoy it even though the wife says that I am "very odd".

Like you, Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide Airports arrival and departure information are great because they give you gate numbers. Brisbane and Perth are a little more tricky.

With Brisbane, the Virgin Blue website is the best. It gives you gate numbers in their arrivals and departures section of their website when you do a flight search. Also, Ian Garton's website is also very useful for tracking aircraft.

At least I now know that I am not the only one who sit's down with nothing better to do from time to time and spend an hour or two tracking the daily flight sectors of certain aircraft.
Old 2nd September 2010, 04:17 PM

Hi Steve and Dave.

I too have had to gone through the same procedures to attain what I want.

It's great to see I am not the ONLY one.

Best wishes for your success

Kind regards,

Geoff
Old 2nd September 2010, 08:09 PM

Thanks Geoff. I find it interesting to see how far the airlines fly their machines on a daily basis.

Keeping with the VH-VBO theme, I have just spent the last half hour or so tracking it's movements today, and this is what I come up with;

DJ362 TSV-BNE
DJ464 BNE-PER
DJ570 PER-SYD

VBO is expected to arrive at gate 39 in Sydney tonight at 2215. Then providing there is no gate change or movement through the night for maintenance, VBO should operate DJ810 to MEL at 0715 tomorrow morning.
Old 3rd September 2010, 11:36 AM

G'day Guys...

Well I think you two are "cool" lol.

It is great fun! It is no different to sitting and doing a crossword puzzle really. The challenge to piece it all together is great...

I used to track planes all the time, but now very rarely - ran out of free time - too much else to do. I used to track aircraft more while I was married... LOL.

It was great to see wherelse VBO has been... it is certainly getting out and about... ) Thanks for posting it.

My g/f (or whoever she is titled as at the moment lol) was on it on the day I asked for the rego, she went up to Ballina on it )

Hey - keep up the good work you guys... !!

Steve S
Old 3rd September 2010, 11:41 AM

p.s. I have always been very interested in the scheduling, and utilisation of aircraft.

Funny how for example, Jetstar have all those A320's, but only certain ones can be found on certain routes... ie JQG, JQL & JQX can always be found doing shorter routes, and to the Gold Coast.

This happens with QF with 738's etc.

And the DJ 737-700's VBA to VBL, and 738's VOA to VOD, never seem to do Sydney to Perth, when all the others do.