Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > Australia and New Zealand Industry
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th June 2008, 06:28 PM
Lukas M

Default Macquarie Bank's new airport rip-off

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...006010,00.html
Oh, when will they stop
Quote:
MACQUARIE Bank is lining travellers up for another fee gouge at Sydney Airport, to coincide with the opening of a $65 million parking station at the international terminal.
Sydney Airports Corporation, owned by the bank known as "the millionaires factory'', is scrapping cheap long-term parking for international travellers in nearby Ross Smith Ave and relocating it to a new eight-level facility.
Free shuttle buses from the long-term car park to the international terminal will end this Friday, saving the bank $2 million a year.
The long-term car park will then be available for domestic passengers only.
In a total revamp of parking, the airport is also considering charging hire car operators a whopping $18,000 a year for a single designated space at the international terminal.
Angry operators are refusing to pay because the proposal would lead to higher costs for customers.
Yesterday, Macquarie Bank refused to release its new fees for Sydney, which already has among the world's most expensive airport parking.
Under the present system, long-term parkers pay on a sliding scale ranging from $24 a day to $109 a week.
Short-term day rates at the domestic and international terminals are up to $46 a day.
"Parking fees for the car park will be released before the opening,'' Sydney Airports Corporation spokesman Michael Samaras said.
"Last year, the Productivity Commission reported that Sydney Airport's car parking charges are around one-third less than in the CBD, where a premium is also paid for parking convenience.''
The airport reaped just under $70 million from parking during 2006-07.
Parking at Sydney Airport costs twice as much as at New York's John F. Kennedy Airport and more than at London's Heathrow.
The Federal Government, however, has washed its hands of the issue.
Transport Minister Anthony Albanese said that if anti-competitive conduct was found, the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission could prosecute airports in the Federal Court.
But ACCC chairman Graeme Samuel said keeping car park charges in check was ``a matter, I believe,for government''.
The new car park will have 2800 spaces, taking the total at the international terminal to 4300.
Mr Samaras said the car park was expected to open next month.
The proposal to charge hire car operators - who now pay $3 to park at the terminal for 75 minutes - $18,000 a year for a secure spot has been met with disdain.
"They haven't done their sums; it just doesn't add up,'' PV Limousines owner Wayne Hodder said.
"It's unjustifiable for the work we get through here - completely ill-considered.''
European Hire Cars owner John Galluzo said he would be better off parking in the public car park.
Mr Samaras said negotiations with hire car companies for reserved spots were progressing positively.
Frank Carioti, at Sydney Airport yesterday to farewell his son Alex, said parking costs were already excessive and predicted a rise once the facility opened.
"Next, they'll be charging pedestrians just to walk here,'' Mr Carioti said.
Craig Thompson, of Heathcote, who was flying to Hamilton Island with his family, said he liked to use the present long-term car park because it was cheaper than catching a cab.
Old 29th June 2008, 09:10 PM

I wonder where this new 8 story facility is going to come from? Are they going to buy out the Park 'N' Fly mob who are over near Krispy Kreme?
Old 29th June 2008, 09:51 PM

A new one has just been built in the existing International Terminal Carpark.
Old 29th June 2008, 10:54 PM

the only good news out of this is for the long term car parking operators near the airport e.g. park and fly and the other one somewhere in Wolli Creek? - this guarantees them a lot more business!
Old 30th June 2008, 09:21 AM
Administrator

Before they started building the 8-storey facility, didn't they already relocate the international long term parking from the domestic long term car park to the back of the current international terminal car park? I know they used to be together for years before all that. Didn't they only move it temporarily back to the domestic long term carpark while they were constructing the new facility? And won't they re-establish an international long term carpark at the new facility (even though the prices were higher than Ross Smith Avenue)?

While I agree the carparking costs at Sydney Airport are very expensive, that aside, personally from a convenience standpoint for international travellers, a long term car park near the international terminal would be better than the Ross Smith Avenue location.
ABQ ABX ACV ADD ADL AKL ALB AMA AMS ANC ARN ATH ATL AUA AUH AUS AVL AVV AZA BCN BDL BFL BGO BGR BHD BHM BHQ BIL BIS BKI BKK BLD BLI BLV BNA BNE BOG BOI BOJ BOS BSB BTR BUF BUD BUR BWI BZE BZN CAI CBR CGK CHC CHS CLE CLT CMH CNS CNX COS CPH CPT CTG CTS CUE CUN CUZ CVG CXF CYS CZM DAL DBO DCA DEN DFW DLH DOH DRW DSM DTW DUD DUR DXB ECP ELP EUG EWR EYW EZE FAI FAR FAT FCA FCO FLG FLL FNL FNT FRA FRS FSD FU'K FWA GCN GDL GDN GEG GGW GIG GJT GOT GRI GRR GRU GSP GTF GUA GVA GYE HAM HAN HBA HBE HEL HHH HKD HKG HLZ HND HNL HOU HRL HSV HVB IAD IAH ICN ICT IDA IND INV ISP IST ITM ITO JAB JAX JFK JNB JNU JOG JTR KEF KGC KIX KMI KMJ KMQ KOA KRK KTN KUL LAS LAX LBB LBE LEJ LFT LGA LGB LHR LIH LIM LIN LIT LRD LST MAD MAF MAO MCI MCO MCT MCY MDE MDT MDW MEL MEM MEX MFE MFR MHU MIA MID MKE MNL MOB MOT MQL MRY MSN MSP MSY MTJ MTY MUC MVD MXP MZT NAN NAS NRT NTL OAG OAK OGG OKA OKC OMA OME ONT OOL ORD OSL OTZ OUI PAE PBG PDX PEK PER PHL PHX PIA PIT PLO PLZ PNH PSC PSG PSP PTY PVD PVG PVR PVU RAP RDD RDM RDU REC REP RIC RIX RNO ROC RSW SAL SAN SAT SAV SBA SBD SBN SBP SCK SCL SDF SDU SEA SFO SGF SGN SGU SHA SHV SIN SIT SJC SJD SJO SJU SLC SMF SMX SNA SOF SSA STL STS SUN SYD SYO SYR TIJ TLL TMW TPA TPE TSV TUL TUS TWF TYS VAR VIE VNO VPS WAW WDH WGA WLG WRG WVB XIY XNA YEG YHM YHZ YKM YOW YQB YQG YQM YTZ YUL YUM YVR YWG YXE YYC YYJ YYT YYZ ZRH

Next Trips:
18-19MAY LAS-DFW-BRO/HOU-LAS AA/WN
25-27MAY LAS-GEG/MSO-LAS WN/G4
31MAY-03JUN LAS-JFK-LAS DL/B6
08-09JUN LAS-PDX-LAS AS
21-24JUN LAS-GJT-LAS G4
04-08JUL LAS-SEA-ANC-ADQ-ANC-SEA-LAS AS
13-14JUL LAS-DTW-LAS WN/DL
20-21JUL LAS-DEN-CPR-DEN-LAS UA
03-04AUG LAS-SAN-LAS F9/WN
17-18AUG LAS-SEA-KTN-SEA-LAS AS
24-25AUG LAS-SLC/EKO-SLC-LAS DL
29AUG-03SEP LAS-MSP-TVC-DFW-LAS SY/AA
28-29SEP LAS-DEN-LAS UA
08-11NOV LAS-EWR/BTV-ORD-LAS UA
01-02FEB LAS-SEA-LAS AS
Old 30th June 2008, 09:55 PM

There goes using the long term carpark bus to transfer between terminals
Old 1st July 2008, 10:56 AM

And what about the fee they want to charge hire cars? $18000 a year for a dedicated parking place. At the moment they pay $3.00 to park for 75 minutes. So if you divide the $18000 by $3 and then by 365(days) it works out they would have to do 16 pick ups a day every day of the year ..... a physical impossibilty

Wow! No wonder Macquarie bank makes so much money ... there number crunchers CANT ADD UP.

Benjo
Old 1st July 2008, 05:09 PM

Default Privatisation and the right to go to an airport

There's something fundamentally wrong going on here. There must be some kind of constitutional right to go to and fro a federal airport as a hire car or taxi driver. If there is some facility especially provided that they want to charge for, that is a different issue, but if I book a hire car I cannot see by what legal principle the airport operator can tell my hire car opertor it has to pay to come onto airport property to collect me and take me home.

The vibe isn't right and perhaps we need a real case of The Castle to prove I'm right!

Otherwise bring me a parachute and let me jump out overhead my back yard!
Old 1st July 2008, 05:20 PM

Quote:
In a total revamp of parking, the airport is also considering charging hire car operators a whopping $18,000 a year for a single designated space at the international terminal.

Quote:
...but if I book a hire car I cannot see by what legal principle the airport operator can tell my hire car opertor it has to pay to come onto airport property to collect me and take me home...

When I read that article, I was of the understanding that they were talking about hire cars that are based at the airport (ie Hertz, Avis, Budget etc) not the ones that come pick you up.

Now, living where I do, I don't have a good understanding of the international layout, but that was the inference I got.

regards

Paul M
Old 2nd July 2008, 12:49 PM

The article in Sundays papers said that the hire car operators now pay $3 for 75minutes at the moment so they are refering to hire cars ...not RENTAL cars.. also the rental companieswould need a lot more than just the ONE parking space wouldn't you think?

Benjo