Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Spotting and Movements > Spotting and Movements
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24th May 2008, 12:10 PM

Default QF64 - Jo'burg - Sydney

Hi,
I have kept an eye on this one for a while and was wondering if we could get some more info. Everytime i check the arrivals, this flight is always running late. I have just checked flight stats and it gives a 0 out of 5 rating for this flight arriving ontime. Again today, it is running approx 1 hour late.

Can anyone shed some light on why this flight is always late? I understand if it is headwinds.
Old 24th May 2008, 10:05 PM
Administrator

I was on this flight on May 15 and we landed in Sydney the following day about 20 minutes late at 2.15pm, instead of the scheduled 1.55pm. As far as that flight was concerned we left the gate late at JNB. From recollection of the pilot's explanation over the PA, the completion of the loading of freight was slightly delayed, and then he said the documentation despatch (terminology??) for this flight was done out of HKG, and they had to wait for their OK before leaving which took a bit of time.
ABQ ABX ACV ADD ADL AKL ALB AMA AMS ANC ARN ATH ATL AUA AUH AUS AVL AVV AZA BCN BDL BFL BGO BGR BHD BHM BHQ BIL BIS BKI BKK BLD BLI BLV BNA BNE BOG BOI BOJ BOS BSB BTR BUF BUD BUR BWI BZE BZN CAI CBR CGK CHC CHS CLE CLT CMH CNS CNX COS CPH CPT CTG CTS CUE CUN CUZ CVG CXF CZM DAL DBO DCA DEN DFW DLH DOH DRW DSM DTW DUD DUR DXB ECP ELP EUG EWR EYW EZE FAI FAR FAT FCA FCO FLG FLL FNL FNT FRA FRS FSD FU'K FWA GCN GDL GDN GEG GGW GIG GJT GOT GRI GRR GRU GSP GTF GUA GVA GYE HAM HAN HBA HBE HEL HHH HKD HKG HLZ HND HNL HOU HRL HSV HVB IAD IAH ICN ICT IDA IND INV ISP IST ITM ITO JAB JAX JFK JNB JNU JOG JTR KEF KGC KIX KMI KMJ KMQ KOA KRK KTN KUL LAS LAX LBB LBE LEJ LFT LGA LGB LHR LIH LIM LIN LRD LST MAD MAF MAO MCI MCO MCT MCY MDE MDT MDW MEL MEM MEX MFE MFR MHU MIA MID MKE MNL MOB MOT MQL MRY MSN MSP MSY MTJ MTY MUC MVD MXP MZT NAN NAS NRT NTL OAG OAK OGG OKA OKC OMA OME ONT OOL ORD OSL OTZ OUI PAE PBG PDX PEK PER PHL PHX PIA PIT PLO PLZ PNH PSC PSG PSP PTY PVD PVG PVR PVU RAP RDD RDM RDU REC REP RIC RIX RNO ROC RSW SAL SAN SAT SAV SBA SBD SBN SBP SCK SCL SDF SDU SEA SFO SGF SGN SGU SHA SHV SIN SIT SJC SJD SJO SJU SLC SMF SMX SNA SOF SSA STL STS SUN SYD SYO SYR TIJ TLL TMW TPA TPE TSV TUL TUS TWF TYS VAR VIE VNO VPS WAW WDH WGA WLG WRG WVB XIY XNA YEG YHM YHZ YKM YOW YQB YQG YQM YTZ YUL YUM YVR YWG YXE YYC YYJ YYT YYZ ZRH

Next Trips:
29APR SYD-LAX-LAS AA
02-05MAY LAS-ATL-LIT-LAS WN
11-12MAY LAS-DEN/CYS-DEN-LAS UA
18-19MAY LAS-DFW-BRO/HOU-LAS AA/WN
25-27MAY LAS-GEG/MSO-LAS WN/G4
31MAY-03JUN LAS-JFK-LAS DL/B6
08-09JUN LAS-PDX-LAS AS
21-24JUN LAS-GJT-LAS G4
04-08JUL LAS-SEA-ANC-ADQ-ANC-SEA-LAS AS
17-18AUG LAS-SEA-KTN-SEA-LAS AS
29AUG-03SEP LAS-MSP-TVC-DFW-LAS SY/AA
28-29SEP LAS-DEN-LAS UA
08-11NOV LAS-EWR/BTV-ORD-LAS UA
Old 25th May 2008, 09:30 AM

Last June we returned from J'burg and if you experience the boarding process via security-- one line for males and one for the gals to start with causes pandemonium. Lots of old -and young-couples etc don't want to be broken up. Then my wife may be boarding and I am still 30th waiting for my security check.And all this starts about 30 mins before departure.Well it did for us so I guess if procedures are still the same it may account for late arrivals here in Sydney.
Old 25th May 2008, 06:52 PM

Come in to Africa time and leave on Africa time... Quite simple really...
The prevailing winds are westerly, in favour of the Jhb - Syd leg
Old 29th May 2008, 11:33 AM

Yesterday's (28/05) flight from SYD to JNB was particularly delayed - something like six hours. I had a colleague on the flight and he mentioned it was delayed due to storms, a lack of fuel and a flat tyre.

I haven't discovered the full details...

Consequently, it'll be late coming back.
Old 29th May 2008, 02:07 PM

It diverted to DUR due JNB wx. Then needed a wheel change and had to wait for the wheel and engineer to come from JNB on SA. QF064 due in at 2220 from memory.
Old 29th May 2008, 10:05 PM

QF64 opb 744 VH-OJK flew JNB-PER this afternoon and terminated here.
Old 30th May 2008, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Rey View Post
Yesterday's (28/05) flight from SYD to JNB was particularly delayed - something like six hours.
If six hours is not enough, 29/05 scheduled at 10am made it to double-digit number of hours, having departed 16R more than 10 hrs late, just after 8pm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran wells View Post
I understand if it is headwinds.
Must have had strong headwinds up along Taxiway Alpha

Last edited by Krzysztof M; 30th May 2008 at 02:20 AM. Reason: Sorry Kieran, just thought your previous comment would fit in perfectly!
Old 30th May 2008, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Rey View Post
Yesterday's (28/05) flight from SYD to JNB was particularly delayed - something like six hours. I had a colleague on the flight and he mentioned it was delayed due to storms, a lack of fuel and a flat tyre.

I haven't discovered the full details...

Consequently, it'll be late coming back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by James K View Post
It diverted to DUR due JNB wx. Then needed a wheel change and had to wait for the wheel and engineer to come from JNB on SA. QF064 due in at 2220 from memory.
Yep there was a heavy CB storm over Johannesburg yesterday afternoon!!!!

My A.Net photos:
http://www.airliners.net/search/phot...rius%20Barnard