Sydney Airport Message Board Sydney Airport Message Board  

Go Back   Sydney Airport Message Board > Aviation Industry News and Discussion > International Industry

Old 1st May 2013, 02:54 AM

Default National 747 crash in Afghanistan

From AvHerald:

Quote:
Crash: National Air Cargo B744 at Bagram on Apr 29th 2013, lost height shortly after takeoff

By Simon Hradecky, created Monday, Apr 29th 2013 14:02Z, last updated Tuesday, Apr 30th 2013 16:28Z
A National Air Cargo Boeing 747-400 freighter on behalf of US Mobility Command, registration N949CA performing cargo flight N8-102 from Bagram (Afghanistan) to Dubai Al Maktoum (United Arab Emirates) with 7 crew and cargo consisting of 5 military vehicles, has crashed shortly after takeoff from Bagram Air Base's runway 03 at 15:30L (11:00Z) and erupted into flames near the end of the runway within the perimeter of the Air Base. All 7 crew are reported perished in the crash.

Afghan Authorities immediately denied claims that the crash of a large civilian cargo aircraft was the result of enemy activities. A large fire erupted after the aircraft impacted ground, it appears all crew have been killed.

Coalition Forces reported a civilian large cargo plane crashed shortly after takeoff, at the time of the accident there was no enemy activity around the aerodrome. Rescue and Recovery efforts are under way, the Air Base is currently locked down and the aerodrome is closed.

National Air Cargo confirmed their aircraft N949CA with 7 crew, 4 pilots, 2 mechanics and a load master - initial information had been 8 crew - crashed at Bagram.

The NTSB reported the Boeing 747-400 was operated by National Air Cargo and destined for Dubai Al Maktoum when it crashed just after takeoff from Bagram and came to rest within the boundaries of the Air Base. All 7 occupants, all American citizens, were killed. Afghanistan's Ministry of Transportation and Commercial Aviation is leading the investigation into the crash, the NTSB have assigned accredited representatives joining the investigation.

Several observers on the ground reported the National Air Cargo Boeing 747-400 had just lifted off and was climbing through approximately 1200 feet when it's nose sharply rose, the aircraft appeared to have stalled and came down erupting in a blaze.

According to a listener on frequency the crew reported the aircraft stalled due to a possible load shift.

A car driver caught the aircraft climbing out and coming down on his car camera, see below.

The aircraft was carrying 5 military vehicles.

National Air Cargo operates three Boeing 747-400s with the registrations N952CA, N919CA and N949CA. N949CA operated into Afghanistan on Apr 28th.
Insane video of the crash

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=vo51Be2jL8c
Old 1st May 2013, 04:35 AM

Wow, speechless after seeing that video

RIP to all onboard

Last edited by Sarah C; 1st May 2013 at 10:16 AM.
Old 1st May 2013, 08:34 AM

ex F-GISE Air France. If it is a load shift, that is a tragic mistake. Thoughts to all of the families of the crew.
Old 1st May 2013, 10:58 AM

Well it appears to be a classic case of a massive stall, could see it going nose to the sky at the very start of the video.

About the only thing that would cause that would be a load shifting and ending up in the tail. And not talking about small things either, there would have had to be something very heavy and dense to throw out the CoG that far and to a point of non-recoverability. 5 military vehicles/trucks would do it.

Also note that in general, Ops in places like Afghanistan will usually call for maximum climb on takeoff in order to gain altitude due to danger from small arms and RPGs on the ground. Of course this puts much more stress on the airframe and also the load, making a failure of the load securing equipment more likely.

Doesn't seem to be that big a fireball either, doubt that it had a full tank of fuel onboard.
Old 1st May 2013, 12:00 PM
Prolific Member

Location: Sydney's Eastern Suburbs - View From Bondi To Jibbon Point And Bravo 10 South

Just speechless .... very sad
Old 1st May 2013, 07:21 PM

May not have accounted for tail fuel. Out of trim... Big time.

Had the gear been up, would have made a difference - all that extra drag. Very close to recovery...
Old 1st May 2013, 08:15 PM

Thomas.

I doubt it was set out of trim with tail tank fuel as it was going to Dubai. So no fuel in the tail tank.

Gear would not have helped in this situation as putting the gear from down to up increases drag due to the doors opening. But the drag with the gear down may have helped with a nose down moment around the centre of pressure.

I'll wait it see the the report.

So for now it's a very tragic accident that no one has facts on.

RIP guys/girls.

Henry Ford.
Old 1st May 2013, 09:24 PM

Agreed, very sad. Makes you appreciated every clean departure and arrival you see. Amazing to see how quick the queen of the sky a 747-400 can be there one second and then vanish into a ball of flames so quickly. Just seems so surreal.
Old 1st May 2013, 10:45 PM

I'm with Todd on this one. There could be a number of factors in this accident which nobody is aware of at this time. We all need to wait for the report.

What i will say is this. When i was first made aware of the accident early this morning and then saw the footage,i was left speechless. For me,it is one of the worst i can remember,mainly because of the footage of the crash itself.What a tragedy by all accounts.

May God bless those who perished and all their families. R.I.P.

Jim
Old 1st May 2013, 11:03 PM

Factory B744F's don't come with a stab/tail tank, not sure if during the pax to freighter conversion they remove them out.

This was a 744BCF.